IRVINE Ayrshire

Find a support group in your area or find out if there are others with whom you could start up a group.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

IRVINE Ayrshire

Postby skydancer » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:38 am

Hi,

I am a new member from Irvine, Ayrshire. Are there any members local to me that could meet up for a chat & coffee?

Thanks,

Skydancer x
skydancer
UKFM Newbie

Re: IRVINE Ayrshire

Postby loubie » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:25 pm

hi :wave:
:welcome: :welcome: :welcome:
to our mad little world.
i am not from your area but i am sure the will be someone :wave:
loubie xx

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are
no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of
UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:58 pm

:welcome: to the forum Skydancer sorry not from your area either, and you may be better joining a support group and meeting people that way rather than inviting strangers from an open forum to meet up with you. I'm sure we are all lovely people on here but in the real world we dont actually know each other and meeting people off the internet can be dangerous. :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby lady skydancer » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:55 am

Hi denys,

Thank you for your reply. Its hard for me to get to the Glasgow meeting as it involves a 2 taxis, a train and a bus from my house. Long journey and expensive for someone on benefit. I will wait & see if someone answers locally, and be very careful at any meeting.

x
lady skydancer
UKFM Newbie

Postby hazelairedale » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:36 pm

Hi, I've not been on the site for a while. My GP suggested that I should join my local FM Support group but I can't get the link to work for the Scotland link. I seen your post. I live in Neilston which is just about half an hour from Irvine. I could help you out with transport to the Glasgow group if you know when they meet up. It would have to be evenings for me though. Although I'm off work just now I hope to go back w/c 18th April and I was sure I seen somewhere that the Glasgow group only meets up during the day, hopefully they meet evenings too?

Hazel
hazelairedale
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:31 pm

Hazel, hopefully this linky will take you to a list of the support groups in scotland
http://www.ukfibromyalgia.com/fm-support-groups/groups-scotland.html
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby hazelairedale » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:49 pm

Hi FluffyPuffy,

Thanks for that. That's the email I tried and it came back with a failure notification. I managed to find the glasgow branch through a different fibromyalgia www page but they meet on a Friday during the day so unfortuanately I can't make that.

Hazel
hazelairedale
UKFM Member

Postby Shadthor » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:06 am

skydancer wrote:Hi,

I am a new member from Irvine, Ayrshire. Are there any members local to me that could meet up for a chat & coffee?

Thanks,

Skydancer x

Hi Skydancer
im from your area been looking for a group in area to
Marie
Shadthor
UKFM Newbie

Postby skydancer » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:30 pm

Hi Shadthor & Hazelairdale,

Sorry for the late reply but I usually check the forum once a week. Have you had any luck finding somewhere closer than Glasgow? If not, have you any suggestions? Even a meet up twice a month would be a great start, and there are loads of coffee shops in town.

You can PM me if you want.

Skydancer x
skydancer
UKFM Newbie

Postby skydancer » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:33 pm

Hi,

Thank you for the offer of the lift, its a shame you cannot make the day time meetings. I will enquire when I see my GP, on 20th, as to if any other groups are nearer. There must be others like us in our area?

Skydancer x

hazelairedale wrote:Hi, I've not been on the site for a while. My GP suggested that I should join my local FM Support group but I can't get the link to work for the Scotland link. I seen your post. I live in Neilston which is just about half an hour from Irvine. I could help you out with transport to the Glasgow group if you know when they meet up. It would have to be evenings for me though. Although I'm off work just now I hope to go back w/c 18th April and I was sure I seen somewhere that the Glasgow group only meets up during the day, hopefully they meet evenings too?

Hazel
skydancer
UKFM Newbie

Postby hazelairedale » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:24 pm

Hi Skydancer,

Sorry for the late reply. The only group I can see is during the day on a Friday. Maybe we could start our own :) I'll keep checking and you can let me know if the GP knows of any.

Hazel
hazelairedale
UKFM Member

Postby skydancer » Wed May 04, 2011 6:00 pm

Hi Again,

My GP does not know of any such groups in the area and I have checked everywhere. Looks as though it would be up to us to arrange something and do a local poll to see if anyone else would be interested. A bit in the local paper, maybe? can anyone else give us some ideas about how to go about this?

Take Care of yourself,

Skydancer x

hazelairedale wrote:Hi Skydancer,

Sorry for the late reply. The only group I can see is during the day on a Friday. Maybe we could start our own :) I'll keep checking and you can let me know if the GP knows of any.

Hazel
skydancer
UKFM Newbie

Re: IRVINE Ayrshire - Support Group?

Postby cigz » Tue May 10, 2011 2:33 pm

Hi Skydancer,

Sorry I haven't replied sooner, i'm only on the site maybe once or twice a week for a wee nosey and to make myself feel better when others are having a worst day than me.... :( That sounded really selfish, but I hate feeling sorry for myself, and it sometimes helps to know that you are not the only person feeling awful or have weird and unexplained pains.

Anyhoo, I am reliably informed that there is a support group on the first tuesday of the month in Crosshouse Hospital, Kilmarnock in the Alexander Fleming Suite, at 7.30pm. I haven't been yet, but was told to call the hospital on the tuesday to check that it was definately on and had not been cancelled for that night.

I hope to go at some point, but I keep forgetting that it is on and remember later on in that week, going to put it in the diary for next month and hopefully I will be able to go.

I understand how isolated you feel but I have to say when I was first diagnosed (one and a half yrs ago) this site was a god send. Everyone made me feel so welcome and comforted me on my really bad days. I have now been ill for 3 yrs and I am 99% better than I was, probably through stubborness and willpower, although I still have horrid flare ups - in the middle of one now! - that would be the decorating that brought this one on, but pacing have never been my stong point :lol:
If you go to a meeting, please let me know how it goes.
Gentle Hugs and Take Care of You
Cigz :fingerscrossed: xx
cigz
UKFM Newbie

Postby skydancer » Sat May 14, 2011 1:16 am

Hi Cigz,

Thanks for your reply. Cross House Hospital is where I was finally diagnosed with Fibro, and its the main hospital around here. I usually take a bus if I visit during the day but at night it would have to be taxi because of the buses not running. Sigh ..... :cry: I could not afford it on my benefit. I also like to read the stories of others as it also helps me realise I am far from alone in this illness.

Thanks again and here's hoping something will come up soon.

blessings x
skydancer
UKFM Newbie

Postby hazelairedale » Tue May 24, 2011 6:37 pm

Hi Skydancer,

I just found out about the support group at Crosshouse hospital on the first Tuesday of the month too. If I'm coming from Neilston to Kilmarnock you are only 5 miles away so I could pick you up and drop you off again. I heard about the group from one of the ladies in the motorcycle club that I'm in who also suffers from fibromyalgia and helped set up the group at the hospital.
Let me know if you are interested. Does anyone else know the set up of this group at all, if its ok to just go along on the night?

Hazel
hazelairedale
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Support Groups