Worried sick!!!

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Worried sick!!!

Postby shelleydwales » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:01 am

Sent off the esa form this week,what a pile off ****!!
I took my time,added loads off "evidence" and now find out i've ballsed it all up any way!
Does anyone know that if you tick the " it varies" boxes that you get 0 points for that section regardless of what you write and add as evidence? That is what I read after sending it off.
Im so worried, I've been so ill on this continued flare up and today also bedridden with vomiting and worst headache of my life!!
Anyone know how long it takes for them to tell you if you're passed or failed? Xxxx
Shell xxxx

Tomorrow is another day....be brave and smile :-)
shelleydwales
UKFM Member

Re: Worried sick!!!

Postby Ldyalb » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:58 am

You won't find that out until you've had your medical with ATOS. In theory everyone has a medical at the end of the 'assessment phase' which is 13 weeks long. I applied on 14 October 2011, my sick note runs out on 13 January 2012 at 11:59 pm which is the 12th week, so I can expect my medical by 20 January 2012.

I sent my form off almost a month ago and am still waiting to be summoned for my medical. Some areas have massive delays at the moment, some people are going several months beyond the 13 week assessment phase before their medical. A lady at CAB who is helping me with my DLA forms told me my area is doing well and processing medicals by the 13th week so it does vary. But the theory is that;

- You claim £53.45 (or £67.50 if you're 25+) for the first 13 weeks assessment phase
- You then have a medical which can go one of 3 ways;

a) you are found fit for work. Theoretically you then claim JSA, or you can appeal. Some former ESA claimants are denied JSA on the grounds that they are 'not fit for work' by the same department which took them off ESA for being 'fit for work'

b) you are found to have 'limited capacity to work' and are placed in WRAG (work related activity group). You are expected to take steps towards finding work, you can appeal this decision. Your money will increase to £67.50 a week if under 25, if over 25 I believe the figure is around £83 a week.

c) you are found completely unfit for work and are placed in the support group (rare). You do not have to take steps to find work and you receive the highest amount of benefit (£91 a week for over 25s I believe)

Can you give a link for where you read about ticking 'it varies' automatically means you score nil points before the medical assessment was carried out?

I've not read that, opinions on the matter seem to conflict, some say never to tick 'it varies' some say to make sure you tick 'it varies' sometimes if you have a condition known to fluctuate, such as Fibro else they'll be even more suspicious. I ticked a mixture in the end, I avoided it where I could honestly say I wasn't lying but I did sometimes tick 'it varies' as that is honestly the truth.
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby shelleydwales » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:21 am

Hi hun,dont know how to add a link,will ask my dd tomorrow if I can find it again. I think it was on one of the deathwalk ladies blogs...not 100% certain tho as I read a few blogs tonight.
Thanks for the info in your reply, I also used it varies as I am being truthful when answering but I did add that I would be in great pain and discomfort also so hope they do consider that! Thanx again xx

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk
Shell xxxx

shelleydwales
UKFM Member

Postby calangute107 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:30 am

hello, i have fibromyalgia and had the dreaded form to fill in. i was worried . it took me 4 weeks to fill in. i put on form it varies on quite a few questions. as with fibro it does vary from day to day. i also wrote 2 extra as pages on my condition stating how it affected me day to day as i had different symptoms everyday. i think the atos medical people want to know how it affects your day to day living more. anyway i sent off my form beginning of november and got a letter back within 2 weeks saying i was put into the support group. i didnt need a medical or letters from gp. if you have just sent form off you could add 2 extra pages and send them seperately. make sure you put on top of pages your name, date of birth and national insurance number. good luck.
katherine
calangute107
UKFM Member

Postby shelleydwales » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:29 am

Hi Katherine, it took me 4 weeks also,i wrote down all the things I need help with and that I cant walk far or sit long etc, I feel reasured by your post as I thought that if you ticked it varries that they automatically gave u zero points,which obviously I had to tick it varries because it does with fibro! I also have other conditions which I told them about. All I can do now is wait, I sent my form by special deliveries on thursday, so prob wont hear until after Christmas,it's such a worry.
I was let go from my job 4 years ago after long time sick and o.health saying I was unlikely to be fit for work again so if I dont get esa I dont know how I will cope.
Going to try to put it aside and enjoy Christmas.
Gentle hugs and Merry Christmas everyone xxxxxx<3

Shell xxxx

shelleydwales
UKFM Member

Postby crazycat36 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:36 pm

When i did my form for esa i used the varies box for some questions i repeated myself over and over in the more info box for each question and on the bit for anythin else ud like to tell them i went over it all again and then said that obviously id based all answers on a good day as om bad days i cant even get out of bed. Im still not sure how but i didnt need to go for a medical and i was put on the no chance of returning to work. It took me in total 5hrs to do the form thars not includin all the stops and starts i had cause of pain etc.
Its not worth gettin anxious about as u can always appeal a decision.
Im a single parent of 4 kids ans my eldsest is my main carer but all we did was be very careful wi money till we found out if id got esa. I wasnt told to i had to apply for child tax credits as i was still on old income support for me and my kids. I found it more stressful applyin for child tax credits than esa but now its all sorted till the next time things change.
crazycat36
UKFM Member

Postby shelleydwales » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:10 pm

Im, currently receive i.support for me and my 2 kids,my eldest daughter is 16 so she helps me with all the things I have difficulty with,i did have a medical examination 2 years ago to asses me and I passed that.
I was only diagnosed with fibro this year so passed medical for my other conditions.
Perhaps when swapping over they take into account previous info on us?
Iv read so much about people getting refused benefit recently, and I am also on my own and would have no noney at all if I get refused esa,i think I always worry more when hacing a flare up but feel nuch better today (worry wise anyway)
:-?

Shell xxxx

shelleydwales
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:39 pm

The CAB woman I saw for DLA said my ESA50 was one of the best she'd seen because it was so detailed. I think the more you put down the better as so many people just say basic stuff like 'I can't do X because it hurts' and leave it at that. I gave them an essay.

It's good to know some people are getting ESA without a medical, there are provisions for people who are very clearly severely disabled to not have a medical, bit it's a bit pot luck if you get a medical or not as most people will be made to have a medical.

I think with both ESA and DLA it can depend on how nice the Decision Maker who gets your form is. I have heard of some people getting awarded DLA with no medical, and others who are just as equally disabled having to have one.

The system is a bit of a mess. ATOS couldn't organise a :wine: in a brewery.
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:01 pm

shelleydwales wrote:Im, currently receive i.support for me and my 2 kids,my eldest daughter is 16 so she helps me with all the things I have difficulty with,i did have a medical examination 2 years ago to asses me and I passed that.
I was only diagnosed with fibro this year so passed medical for my other conditions.
Perhaps when swapping over they take into account previous info on us?
Iv read so much about people getting refused benefit recently, and I am also on my own and would have no noney at all if I get refused esa,i think I always worry more when hacing a flare up but feel nuch better today (worry wise anyway)
:-?

I was told by an advisor who rang to talk to me about the form that they do take other info from previous years into consideration. Not sure how true it is tho, maybe getting in touch with them might give you a better idea :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits