Any Advice?

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Any Advice?

Postby Jezzi » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:33 pm

Hi everyone, I really need some advice and I don't know which way to turn.

I have had my IB assessed and turned down with 0 points. From 5th January I will receive no money whatsoever and they haven't even offered me Jobseeker allowance despite them saying I have some disability/health problem. I am planning to appeal and in my effort to get pieces of information together I have realised that I have done something stupid. I admitted to the medical that I suffer from Fibromyalgia and have constant pain/numbness in my hands/arms and legs/feet and also that I permanently tired, to the point where I sleep a lot. I also cannot sit/stand/move around for long periods of time and have to alternate between them. But what I cannot remember admitting to is the confusion, memory loss and lack of concentration side of it. I know I never mentioned it on the form in the mental health section as I thought that was for depression, etc but I cannot remember adding it anywhere else. I might have, I don't know.

I haven't admitted this side of it to anyone as I feel so ashamed and stupid and I can't remember if I mentioned it to my GP all those years ago. I used to have such a good brain, I multitasked a lot and could remember almost anything. Now I am lucky if I remember why I went into another room. I constantly "zone-out" where I can see people talking but I cannot hear them. I repeat my questions but don't hear/remember the answers. I KNOW I asked the question but I really really can't remember what the answer was. I am constantly checking to see if I have shut the front door when I leave. I know I have gone to check but I cannot remember if I actually finished the action of checking and what the result was. Recently my family have had to add words to my sentences because I cannot find the right word, my mind is just blank, or else I have messed a word up.

Another thing I cannot remember mentioning in my medical form is about my eyesight. If I don't rest regularly, ie every single day, my eyesight goes funny. I cannot see anything in the centre of my vision and the periphery is blurred. If I do not get rest asap then I end up being dizzy and losing my balance, usually I lean to the right, idk why, but it is something I have noticed recently.

ok, to cut a long story short - since I can't remember mentioning the above at all, should I:

1. Call DWP, tell them about it and ask them to perhaps review my benefit result
2. Call ATOS and ask them for a copy of my original form (if they send it and I haven't mentioned it, what then?)
3. Add it to my appeal letter and hope it doesn't get dismissed since it isn't on the original form

I am calling the CAB tomorrow for an appointment but since everywhere starts shutting down for christmas and the postal service gets so backlogged I doubt I would get any assistance before my money is stopped. I also cannot see my GP until Thursday 22nd but all she has said on previous visits is for me to find the best way to manage my life, I have had no prescriptions for anything (painkillers do not work) or referrals since diagnosis but after reading all the posts it seems as though they ignore anything a GP says anyway.

I feel so stupid and pathetic right now and any pointers would be appreciated.
Jezzi
UKFM Newbie

Re: Any Advice?

Postby calangute107 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:24 pm

hi , i filled in my medical form last month and forgot to write things down, but i posted a 2 page a3 letter few days later with all my symptoms. if you do this dont forget to put your name , date of birth and national insurance number on top of each page you write.
calangute107
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:48 pm

I'm not sure what you can do in this situ, I'm sure someone else who has been claiming for longer will be able to advise you. I've only recently sent my ESA50 off so I am new to this.

I don't see how sending off a second letter with extra info attached can harm. You can just explain how bad your memory is and how you forgot, OR get your partner or a family member to send it for you saying they'd seen you didn't remember to put everything down (esp if you did your form on the computer so they can have seen a copy after it was printed and sent)

DIAL may be able to help as well as CAB. Google the issue and see if anyone else has had a similar problem mentioned on a blog, or a general benefits/disability website. I think CAB will be helpful to you so I would try and see them asap, or even see if you can get advice over the phone. They also have a website here - http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/ where you may be able to find some advice on what to do if you forget to mention something.

Failing all that you can always call the DWP and ask what can be done, or get someone else to call for you.

Don't panic, this can be sorted :hugs:
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:51 pm

:wave: :wave: Jezzi and :welcome: to the forum :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Sorry to hear what has happened with the ESA farcical system, sadly it is happening more and more :facepalm: :facepalm:

You need to decide what your plan of action is going to be and start things off as quickly as you can. Contact DWP and tell them you are appealing the ludicrous decision you have been given. Also ask them for all relevant info relating to your claim and the decision, as this will be of help when preparing for your appeal. I think they should still pay you while you go thru the appeal process, but you'll need to double check that. I've done a quick Google and there are some references about this, but as I said, double check that it does apply to you.

To have the best chance with an appeal, get in touch with someone like CAB, DIAL, or other similar organisations in your area. They should be able to help you with the process and may even be able to represent you.

There's no need to feel ashamed, stupid or anything, we all have times when we forget things. If you're unsure about what may or may not be in your GP notes, you could either go and see them, which might be an idea if this whole situation is affecting you, or you could see if you can have access to info in them. Not sure if the second option would involve any charge, that would be down to your surgery.

Hopefully when you receive the info from DWP, it will tell you exactly what you put on your form. When sending anything to DWP, I now keep duplicate copies of everything I have included, as I've had far too many things go "missing in the post" only for it to reappear much later on, too late for it to be included with things :swear1: :swear1: :swear1:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:12 am

Hi Jezzi and :welcome: to the forum, sorry this is causing you so much worry, phone the DWP have you told them you intend to appeal?? I thought they kept paying you until you have been to the tribunal but I may be wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me if I am

:fingerscrossed: for your CAB appointment :fingerscrossed:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Jezzi » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:13 am

Thank you all... I guess I really needed someone to tell me to calm down and what steps to take as I have no-one in the family to help me. Husband is worse than useless at anything to do with letters/phones :roll: I have been in a blind panic since getting that letter as we cannot afford to pay the bills on just my husband's wages. I contacted DWP the same day to let them know I was appealing so they could log it on their computer file since my written appeal might be late due to the Post Office/christmas backlog. They said they couldn't do that until the written appeal was on their desk, nor could they extend the cutoff date even though Doctors, Opticians, CAB and themselves were shut over the holidays - this has just added to my panic.
Jezzi
UKFM Newbie

Postby smiler22 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:26 pm

I now always do a copy for safe keeping. I gad ti ring up to check tgey had recieved a claim form. But they sId they hadnr luckily I had a xopy othwrwise if id gad to send in anither they said I would of lost out on money as it woild of been paid feom the neq dTe not feo, the oeiginal of the first claim foem. So pleSe keep copieaxxzz
live life to the full as life is what you make itxx
smiler22
UKFM Regular

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits