giving up work

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

giving up work

Postby dottydog » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:23 pm

Hello i am looking for advice can any one help. I am really sruggling to keep working and would like to be able to stop work and live my life at my pace.Would i be entitilled to any benefits and does my boss have to let me reduce my hours if I find my job to demanding. I work in a care home and have a lot of responibility looking after staff and residents etc. I am in pain constantly tired forgetful on days i have no energy and every thing is an effort. this is my first comment on the site so hope i have done it right
dottydog
UKFM Newbie

Re: giving up work

Postby sunshine_d_411 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:04 pm

Hi, sorry to hear that you are having such a bad time. Firstly, have you been diagnosed with F/M? If not, you should start the process asap as it can take a long time to get a diagnosis. Maybe some time off work, signed off by your doc will help you to make some decisions. Best wishes Sunshine
sunshine_d_411
UKFM Newbie

Postby dottydog » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:15 pm

Hi thank you my gp said i had fm and it is on my medical notes that i have the condition do you know if you can get any bebefits if im signed of from work as i dont get sick pay
dottydog
UKFM Newbie

Postby dottydog » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:18 pm

I work 3/4 days a week then on my days off i rest up ready for the days constanly in pain i just feel i want to cry right now fed up :-| :(
dottydog
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:31 pm

The best thing to do dotty is to speak to a benefits advisor, or someone who knows the system well. Based on your personal circumstances, they should be able to give you an idea of what you may be eligible.

Places like DAB, DIAL, Welfare Rights, or other similar local organisations should be able to help you :xmaswave1: :xmaswave1:

:welcome: to the forum as well :xmaswave1: :xmaswave1:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby dottydog » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:54 pm

Thank you will look in to things and let you know. :-)
dottydog
UKFM Newbie

Postby Ldyalb » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:08 pm

What Flup said.

If you do go sick and aren't going to get sick pay you'll probably be able to claim Employment and Support Allowance, but not everyone can claim it so it's best to find out in advance in case you get a nasty shock (I couldn't claim until I moved back home with my parents, as I'm 23 and haven't paid enough NI I'm only entitled to income based ESA, which I couldn't claim as my boyfriend earned too much).

Disability Living Allowance is a benefit paid to people who have a long term disability or illness, who have had it at least 3 months, are expected to have it another 6 months and who have substantial mobility or care needs. CAB can advise you if you could be eligible. DLA is payable to those in work, as well as out of work - it's designed to cover the extra costs incurred due to disability.

There are organisations you can speak to about staying in work, reducing your hours/other reasonable adjustments. You can speak to a DEA (Disability Employment Advisor) at the Jobcentre and Remploy who help disabled people find jobs, or stay in the jobs they have. They can liase with your employer if you wish and help you readjust your duties etc if you want to see if changing things a bit will help. The Shaw Trust may also be able to help.
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby dottydog » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:27 pm

thank you all i am going to see if i can reduce my hours if i cant then i will go to cab for advice, pain is not good and no energy at the moment, feel pants
dottydog
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:33 am

:fingerscrossed: dotty
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits