Incapacity to ESA decision

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Incapacity to ESA decision

Postby jmarley » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:22 am

I just need a bit advice really, I had an Atos medical In August 2011, now I was told I would receive a decision by beginning of September, I am still waiting to find out whether I am being put on ESA and which group I am getting put in, does anybody think this is normal or do you think the DWP are up to something, do you think I should ring them but I am frightened to ring them because I told them at the medical I couldn't use the telephone, I can't hold a telephone in my hands as I have bad arthritis, I really don't know what to do, I am receiving my benefit as normal every fortnight so they haven't stopped paying me it, I am just feeling so stressed about it.
jmarley
UKFM Member

Re: Incapacity to ESA decision

Postby Foggys » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:44 am

I hope things have improved for you.
Last edited by Foggys on Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deb Cooke
Groups Founder & Leader
Foggy's "invisible illness" Support

07396 161265
Between 12 – 3pm
MONDAY-FRIDAY
(voice mail available 24/7)

http://www.foggys.net
Foggys
UKFM Member

Postby jmarley » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:07 am

I would like to answer your questions in a calm way, my partner types everything for me, I find it hard to grip a phone (I CAN'T CURL MY FINGERS PROPERLY) I also have to wear wrist splints for my waking hours and it is very difficult to do the easiest of things, I don't have a hands free device for a landline phone or speaker phone facility on landline phone, I assure you I am not exagarating my Fibromyalgia or arthritis.

I would just like to know whether I have been transferred to ESA that's all
jmarley
UKFM Member

Postby Foggys » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:53 am

Perhaps your partner can ring Tuesday for them to tell you what the payments are for ?

and perhaps getting a hands free phone would be an idea too :-)
Deb Cooke
Groups Founder & Leader
Foggy's "invisible illness" Support

07396 161265
Between 12 – 3pm
MONDAY-FRIDAY
(voice mail available 24/7)

http://www.foggys.net
Foggys
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:11 pm

Is your payment still the same as before? i.e. during the assessment phase of ESA the weekly payment is £53.45 if you're under 25 and it's £67.50 if you're 25 or over.

If, like most people on post-assessment phase ESA you've been placed in the Work Related Activity Group (WRAG) you'd be getting more money, even more money if you were in the Support Group.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAnd ... /DG_171896

So basically you need to check your bank statements and work out what your weekly payment is, and that will tell you which group you've been put in (if any).

If you're still on £53/67 a week then you'll need to chase up the outcome of your medical - I would advise you to either write to them or get your partner to ring them on your behalf and to explain to them that you are unable to grip a phone due to your arthritis.
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:45 pm

Definitely get in touch with them. If your OH rings up on your behalf, they may want a word with you to confirm who you are and that it is OK for them to discuss things with him. Hopefully then you'll be able to find out what fate they have dealt you :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby animalhouse » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:46 pm

i unerstand you jm, i struggle to grasp phone but we have speaker phone then i don;t have to hold but CAN use computer at times even with my wrist splints on, but i drop stuff all the time it is totally different.. :roll:

hope you get an answer soon. :-)
animalhouse
UKFM Regular

Postby loubie » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:51 pm

i hope you find out soon what is going on
it must be hard for you not to be able to hold the phone
i do wear wrist splints when my wrists are bad and it is very hard to do just the
very simplest of things :roll:

:goodluck2: :blowkiss:
loubie xx

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are
no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of
UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

Postby sjc » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:00 pm

Hi there,

You should have heard back from them now.....check them up and keep nagging them, if I was you...With my transfer to ESA, I keep phoning them up to check my progress.....but I do understand that is not easy for you......Even though I do not have major issues with my hands, I struggle using a phone some days, and I prefer to use a computer....But that is because of my anxiety problems......Is there anybody that could phone up on behalf of you to check the progress? All the best. :-D
Sick of being sick, if you know what I mean. Anger keeps me going! I love campaigning for the rights of those with hidden disabilities. Enjoys talking to other like minded people - well, if you are sane, anyway :)
sjc
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:43 pm

Hi I would get your partner to phone and as Fluppy has said if they need to speak to you then they could hold the phone for you so you can answer them anyway :fingerscrossed: you get the answer you want lets know how you get on :wave: :wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits