dla appeal

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

dla appeal

Postby fliss » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:56 am

hi all hope ur all feelin well toda.i just have a ?? as i dont understand the process.i was refused dla so i asked for reconsideration which came back not in my favour,so i told them i wanted to appeal as they seemed to think i cud walk 50metres ermmm im in a wheelchair everytime i go out,so the form came and i tried to get some help to fill it in but all the places around here said they had too much on their caseloads with all the other peoples aqppeals which i thought was quite wrong,anyway i filled it in myself to the best i cud my hubby read it and added a few points but what happens now do dwp look at my claim again and then make the decision or does it go straight to the appeal board and the bit where i get to say my piece infront of the judges or whoever they r as im so confused with all this and this is why previously iv given up on the tryin to claim as it totally baffles me thank u for ur replies in advance xx :-? :-? :-? :-? :-?
fliss
UKFM Member

Re: dla appeal

Postby war veteran » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:12 am

you basically have them look at it again but send in reasons and points, if they refuse it goes to tribunal where you are face to face
war veteran
UKFM Member

Postby iandp » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:14 am

Hi fliss

i had to a few months now ago put an appeal in for my DLA. I then a few weeks later got a letter saying they had arranged for a medical professional to carry out a medical assessment on me, i called them as an appeal is supposed to be independant from the DWP, but they told me they automatically see if they can resolve it before it goes to appeal, and in my case a medical had not been done on their behalf, so to cover there back sides lol they do all possible to avoid it actually going to appeal. I had my mediacl on the 2nd of Jan and then 3 weeks later got a letter from DLA saying i had been awarded a higher payment, ie full mobility n care.

It'll probably depend on each circumstances but this may be what you have, maybe not if you already had a medical by them.

If it does go to appeal it could take upto 2 years they told me b4 u actually get there.

What ever happens :goodluck1:
iandp
UKFM Member

Postby fliss » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:58 am

thank u both and iandp i havent had a medical done for them but im havin one for my esa claim,i hope they do same with me as they did with u personally id accept anythin at the minute as iv had to buy my own wheelchair,ramps and etc as no disability place will giv me any info as they havnt awarded me anything im just so down in the dumps they dont realise how our lives hav been turned upside down,one place i spoke to told me to leave my husband and then i cud claim loads of things i love my hubby to bits im not likely gonna take their advice it really upset me and made me feel like i was fightin a losin battle and nearly didnt appeal it had it not been my hubby makin me i do things i think id just giv up and do somethin very silly with all my tablets as thats how i feel.1.dwp dla argued that i can walk 50 metres whenever im goin anywhere im in a wheelchair,in the house wherever i go hubby follows me he gets me up in the mornin helps me wash and dress then he makes all the meals he works approx 10hrs a day at his job then the rest of the time hes lookin after me when he goes to work i end up in bed as i cant manage the stairs safely yet dwp say i can and that im not at risk of dizzy spells yet one of my diagnosed illnesses is faintin and blackin out,i just dont get them when the woman accross the road is an alcoholic and shes on higher care and lower mobility as she has a prob with fallin over (if she didnt drink so much she wudnt fall over)shes always rubbin it in my face that she gets it and i dont and i know it sounds childish she is but it really upsets me.im 32 and hav no life outside these 4 walls,i really hate it i dont want to be this way i cant help it but surely someone should be able to help me.my poor mum is constantly blamin herself but its not her fault,sorry i will stop rantin and feelin sorry for myself.i hope ur havin a good day today and thanks for the reply xxx
fliss
UKFM Member

Postby MCT » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:27 pm

Did your Doctor arrange for you to have an assessment for a wheelchair and/or other aids & adaptations? I see you mentioned that you've had to buy your own wheelchair, ramps etc. My GP referred me to the OT Department for an assessment for aids and adaptations in the house even before I was awarded DLA and all the various grab rails & bath lifts were installed free of charge for me by Social services.

Do you know if the DWP has asked for a medical report from your GP and/or Consultant in respect of your claim? I know they didn't for my husband so the DMs decision is based entirely on a report by someone who couldn't even get basic facts right!

Hope it all gets sorted out for you soon.
MCT
UKFM Member

Postby fliss » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:59 pm

MCT my doc hasnt referred me to occupational therapy but i will be sure to ask him although i now have my wheelchair i could do with somethin to help me in and out of the bath at the moment my hubby helps me in and out as ive had a few instances were iv done it myself and ended up faintin and smackin my head on the loo its not nice.my problem is i just dont know what and if i can get things as iv never had to do any of this before and noone in the family has so its all jobbledeguwk. i just get so upset askin for help all the time like today im that unwell that iv had to ask my mum on her day off to come up and help me she was goin to the pub for a drink with her partner and iv dirupted it by askin her to go to chemist for me not onae but twice as some of the tablets im on r controlled drugs so hav to be ordered in on the day they get the prescription and then she has to return there later to pick them up,i feel like im always in the way with familyas their always there helpin me and i know i need it but it doesnt make me feel any better xx :cry: :cry:
fliss
UKFM Member

Postby MCT » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:59 pm

What concerns me is that if you say to ESA/DLA you've bought a wheelchair without having been assessed as needing one they will do their usual & start making assumptions. I really think you ought to politely push your GP into having you properly assessed so you can get all the kit you need in place as soon as possible. Might be worthwhile if you and hubby write down a list, to give your GP, of things you need help with and give an example for each as to why that help is necessary. I know some areas have a waiting list for referrals so the sooner you can get into the system the better.

I have to admit I was very lucky with my GP because she just saw how much I was struggling & offered to contact the OT to come out & see me.

MCT
UKFM Member

Postby jmhg69 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:47 pm

You can contact solcial services and ask for help they will come out and do an independant assessment then arrange for someone from OT to come and see you about all the things you need in the house plus get someone from the council to do an independant benefits assessment and then go through each stage with you! Apparently they fight to the bitter end to get you any benefits they feel you are entitled too aswell!

I am going through this myself at the moment have a DLA doc coming tomorrow( fingers crossed had 2 cancelled!) had wheelchair assessment today and having aids brought to the house and fitted for me on thursday then on monday they are coming to do the benefits check. It is worth a try I was terrified of phoning social services I thought they would take my kids away but they havent mentioned it and are just giving me all the help they can up to and including care assistants coming in twice daily now.

Good luck

Julia
xxx
jmhg69
UKFM Newbie

Postby animalhouse » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:32 pm

think i will try that route julia as i have struggled to get dla so only got lrc.

i thought it would be a waste of time contacting ss as i am in a private rented property so it would be more difficult to make adaptions but if that can open doors for me to get benefits help as well its worth pursuing as at tribunal i was made to feel a fake for not have asked for an assessment.

i also forgoet to mention as i had helped my sister with rehab after an amputaton a few years ago i was quite up on all the services and though t i klnew it all - you know what its like -- b ut i suppose we always have to be seen to be following the routes.....

will give it a go. :-) :-)
animalhouse
UKFM Regular

Postby Adele » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:27 pm

hi animalhouse, i phoned the social services adult help desk and asked for an OT assessment when i was in rented accommodation. they can provide a bath lift, toilet frame, a bed, perching stools, i even got cooking utensils and a wheelchair. there are other adaptations that will need your landlord's consent such as grab rails or a stair lift. there is so much they can do including supporting you in your application for dla. my OT also supported my social housing application and i have a new build housing association bungalow.

i have been assessed and awarded a disabled facilities grant for structural changes. you can get this even in privately rented if the landlord agrees and you agree to live there for the next 5 years i think it is.

you can also refer yourself to a social worker. they will come and assess you to see if you are entitled to direct payments, they will know of charities that can help you and can also support your dla claim. if there are things you need to buy because of your disability then google local disability charities. one paid £750 towards my rise and recline armchair. there is also the family fund and http://www.margaretsfund.org/

if your son doesn't have a social worker then it may help you to get him one. there may be financial help available to help with his homeschooling and also they may be able to provide someone to take him out on educational trips to give you a break and expand his curriculum. they are only there to help.

also i know that you go swimming regularly which is fantastic. i would however keep quiet about it as it makes you sound a lot more able than you are. even professionals have a rigid view of what they believe a 'disabled person' can do. we understand but not a lot of other people do. xxx
Adele
UKFM Member

Postby jmhg69 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:06 pm

Fingers crossed it goes well for you Animalhouse!

Fingers crossed for me too as I had my DLA medical finally yesterday!!

The doc was very nice I was having a bad day after a bad night and he didn't even ask me to get up! He told me I should hear in 2 or 3 weeks but to phone next week and ask if its with the decison maker and if there is anything they need from me to make my position clearer. I did show him my social services care plan tho and one of the carers came in to do her stint before he left! Dreading brown envelopes now!

Julia
jmhg69
UKFM Newbie

Postby animalhouse » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:16 am

thanks for the advice adele.

my son is sorted he has dla, spoke to some charitiies such as umbrella and contacted social services re an assessment for direct payments for him - all the oh seems to do these days is act as an administrator for the family filling applications in, driving us around and still working 3 days himself for his own outlet.

him and the little lad off to their friday morning museum trip so i get to stay in bed adn recover from my week and thurs/fri it has caught up on me , i start of the week meaning well then it all catches up on me i am still trying to juggle pacing with my old spontaenous attitude then i pay for it after.

i think i need to make myself known to social services but they seem to play dumb when you ring.
animalhouse
UKFM Regular

Postby jmhg69 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:40 am

Just tell them you need help and cannot continue as you are they should appoint a social worker for yourself and come out and do an assessment for care and whatever aids they can provide! If at first you don't succeed keep whingeing lol

Thats what they did for me and that assessment led to one from wheelchair services and OT and someone from the council coming to do a financial and benefits assessment. To be fair for me here they couldn't of been more helpful. My social worker is now looking into getting me an electric wheelchair as I was disabled and on crutches full time anyway before all this I am finding the sheer effort of walking even from a disabled bay is too much for me.

Good luck hun

Julia
xxx
jmhg69
UKFM Newbie

Postby fliss » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:21 pm

thanks for all the advice sorry havnt been on for a bit not been too good,im seein a rhemy when they send an appointment,also gonna ask doc for a ot and will get in touch with ss as uptill now i didnt think they would help me as im in a mortgaged house with my hubby but will be sure to ask them as soon as i can
fliss
UKFM Member

Postby rachel285 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:57 pm

I just wanted to let everyone not to give up on those appeals, as today I have shown that you can win. I went from no award to higher rate mobility and lower rate care, backdated for a year! Don't let them grind you down, believe in yourself and you can do it!

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk
rachel285
UKFM Newbie

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits