what are esa playing at

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

what are esa playing at

Postby war veteran » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:17 pm

few months ago i had to fill in form, which esa said wasnt enuff and had to have medical, i heard nothing from them until today when the brown envelope came through the door telling me what there gunna pay me lol, with no medical any isdeas whats going on
war veteran
UKFM Member

Re: what are esa playing at

Postby Adele » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:29 pm

question not. just enjoy and celebrate! i had the same thing happen when i asked for my DLA to be reconsidered due to a change in circumstances. my medical date never appeared and then i got the brown envelope to say i was awarded what i wanted and it was backdated. they had contacted my OT and GP, i think, who both said i am severely disabled so no medical was necessary.
Adele
UKFM Member

Postby crazycat36 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:58 pm

dont question them if they want to pay u.....only question if they try to take it bk....years of dealing wi benefits offices this is the best advice i can give u
crazycat36
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:02 pm

Don't complain - better than having to drag yourself to a medical :-)

have they put you in the Work Related Activity Group or in the Support Group?
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby Hudsonwhymsy » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:22 pm

Don't complain. I have my court date on the 22 of this month for my second appeal in 2 years . Cos they say I am fine. Not only do I have fybro. I also have rheumatoid arthritis. Depression. Bi polar. Hyper mobility. OCD Plus more. I am also having to have yet another next month. I am so I'll with the stress they are causing me its unreal. Any advice would be great
Hudsonwhymsy
UKFM Member

Postby alison63 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:31 pm

I had a medical, they told me I can go back to work in 12 weeks. They say I will only have FM and tendinitis in my shoulder for 12 weeks. I have been like this for 12 months, plus all my other medical problems, also on the waiting list to see a Councillor as it is hard to accept at my age of 41 I cannot even wash my own hair plus all other jobs. Are they going to come to my house in the mornings to help me shower and get dressed, by the time I have done that I have had enough and need to sleep again, if it wasn't for my husband and 13 year old daughter I couldn't manage :(
alison63
UKFM Newbie

Postby Roseofsharon » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:41 pm

Please celebrate don't question it!!!!!! I had to appeal to get my ESA.
Roseofsharon
UKFM Member

Postby war veteran » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:33 pm

im always in support group
it possibly because dla just awarded me higher mobility and care upped it from mid care.
difference from complaining and stating btw lol
war veteran
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:38 pm

ATOS are meant to try and establish people who should be in the Support Group from the ESA50 and Drs records etc. They're supposed to try and avoid bringing people who can demonstrate that they have a severe disability to a medical. So it looks like in your case the system worked correctly (aside from the small mess up with you being told you need a medical).

It's good you've also had your DLA increased, it may be what swung ESA back in your favour :-)

Now go and celebrate :-P :wine: is on you today ;-)
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

what are esa playing at

Postby bexfitz » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:05 pm

Please forgive me for asking, but what is this ESA and working group and support group etc?? I get dla, and recently they sent forms to "see if my circumstances have changed". That was Dec, and heard nothing from them since. ATOS sent a medic to assess me about 18 months ago, and DWP sent entitlement with no expiry date!
bexfitz
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:14 pm

Hi Bexfitz ESA is completely different from DLA but both have medicals by ATOS and these medicals can be used for both ESA and DLA

ESA is employment support allowance (something like that) if you are put in the WRAG group it means you are fit for work with help (work related activity group) and you are meant to go for interviews with job centre staff every month to get you back into work and you dont get the higher rate (money) Support group is you aren't fit for work and you get the higher rate

All of this is meant to replace IB (incapacity benefit) but is a shambles and nearly everyone (but not quite) fail and get awarded 0 points and then have to go to appeal and in most cases are awarded their 15 points the system is a complete mess

Hope this makes sense :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby helenduffield » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:16 pm

Hi all, there seems to be a huge discrepancy in how people are treated when it comes to the assessments, medicals etc-in fact all the way through the process. It appears to happen even though we are experiencing the same symptoms and problems. The big question is WHY? Im wondering if there is some sort of pattern and whether certain authorities are dealing with FM in different ways.

Can I make a suggestion that when we make a post or reply to others, we say which authority we are governed by-Im very interested to see if there is a connection, and it may shed a bit of light on the seemingly random decisions. I think it may be useful in making sense of it all-we wont know unless we try. Perhaps we can chart it somehow, and if there is a pattern due to our location we can start to ask pertinent questions and find out what the hell is going on!

Ive been awarded nil points and am appealing...this is despite the fact it ended up going to a tribunal (in Leeds-when I live in Halifax governed by a different authority ie CALDERDALE) and "passed" with flying colours and was awarded the higher rate of ESA in the support group (it was backdated for approx 19months)

I must point out though that the "judge" awarded it to me based on my anxiety and the fact I get frustrated and sometimes angry! I did mention to her that i had hoped that my fibromyalgia was recognised to be my main disability, but she said-WITHOUT MALICE-that perhaps I should just be happy that the decision was in my favour and that if they had judged on the basis of my physical issues as opposed to my "mental" ones-it may well have gone the other way. I concluded from this that from a personal point of view, she and the Doctor fully understood and recognised that my FM was totally debillitating for me, but I think that due to the guidelines they had,their hands were tied behind their backs.

This took place in December 2010, and now im going through the whole process again....This is the first day (since I got my brown envelope telling me that I wasnt entitled to ESA) that I have been able to get dressed and function a little, cos it really knocked me on my a££e (apologies if that offends), Its taken me a week to pull myself together, sufficiently enough to write this (in short bursts of course) and get my head around the fact that I have complete my appeal form, get a sick note, and now speak to my housing association to beg for their patience-as my housing benefit and council tax benefit have also stopped! In conclusion I now have to find the energy, the physical ability and a functioning brain in order to do battle...AGAIN!

So may i suggest once again that we state our local authorities dealing with our individual claims, when we make posts-mine is CALDERDALE.

Kind regards everyone x
Last edited by denys on Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: took out offensive language
helenduffield
UKFM Member

Postby sharon28 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:15 pm

Hi all,

I too recieved a brown envelope this morning. I have been receiving ESA since Nov 11 and assumed this was my letter inviting me to a medical as i know we get 13 weeks grace!!. Too my surprise it informed me that my money will go up in April. Does this mean that i have been assessed and deemed ill enough not to attend a medical or is that still to come?

I live in Nottinghamshire and have recieved very good treatment from health professionals (especially since i changed my gp surgery anyway).

Best Wishes to you all,

Sharon xx :cup1:
sharon28
UKFM Member

Postby boatwoman » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:19 pm

well said Helen, this must be costing the government millions to strip us of what little energy we do have , i wonder if there is an MP out there that will stand up for us or may be a solicitor that can start legal proceeding against the government for abuse of human rights.
boatwoman
UKFM Newbie

Postby war veteran » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:12 am

good luck finding one the government aint stupid thats why they stopped legal aid few months back, cant touch them.
if you can afford a solicitor u have enuf money not to be on benefit (a barrister for 1 day will set u back £1300)
war veteran
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits