HELP!!Incapacity benefit transition to ESA

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: HELP!!Incapacity benefit transition to ESA

Postby crazycat36 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:36 pm

i came from income support to esa and like u was placed on the help to get work but i contacted the job centre and said there is no way i could manage there interviews and was told just to hand in sick lines for 12 weeks at a time from my dr which i did and after handing in the 3rd sick line from my gp in came a brown envelope for disability esa so filled in the form repeating things over and over till i was well confused myself and sent it bk thinking i would need to go for a medical at the very least but to my amazement a few weeks later i got a letter saying i was being moved to the support group of esa... i couldnt believe how easy it was to get it especially after hearing horror stories on here i fully expected to hav a fight on my hands....anyway im not very knowledgable with these things and combined with the fibro fog i cant really help u but hope that this shows sometimes these things r easier than u think.

:goodluck2: and :fingerscrossed: that u get through the system without to many hiccups
crazycat36
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:58 pm

I'm claiming Inccome-based ESA but have never claimed Incapacity Benefit previously. Wrt the 12 months - if you are on contributions-based ESA, and are placed in the WRAG (as you have been) and you have a partner who earns more than the oh so generous sum of £7,500 per annum then you are only entitled to claim it for a year. The Lords voted to extend it to two years a few weeks ago but the Government seem determined to push it through regardless.

I know some people have successfully appealed a decision of the WRAG and been placed in the Support Group. If you do decide to appeal the decision then there is help available for you from places like the CAB. The only thing to consider is that there is a slight risk that when you appeal they may decide to withdraw all ESA completely from you which is obviously not ideal. However if you only have 12 months before they remove it anyway you may decide it's worth it. Seek advice first though.

I think others have had a similar experience to crazycat - they've gone to the work focused meetings and it's been realised that they are simply too unwell.

There will be others on here who have been through the transition who can tell you their stories. In the meantime I would advise you to get advice from the CAB or a similar organisation, they can help you with the appeal if that's what you decide to do :goodluck2:
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:11 pm

I was initially placed in the WRAG, so appealed the decision. While I was waiting to to hear the outcome of my appeal, I had to attend a Work Focused Interview due to timings. For me tho, the WFI was a completely different experience to what others have gone thru. I was told about various things being available to help me start taking those steps back into work if I felt I was ready to do so.

If you disagree with their decision, you can appeal it, which I did. My decision was changed at the reconsideration stage, after I'd sent them the same info about my medical retirement with the addition of a definition of the type of retirement I was granted.

If you do decide to appeal (usually needs to be done with 30 days of the date on your letter I think :-? :-? ) as has already been said, Citizens Advice, DIAL, Welfare Rights or other similar organisations in your area will be able to advise you about what to do, and may even be able to help you with it.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:41 pm

:welcome: sparkle, glad you're already feeling some good bits about being with us :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

From how I understand things, if this bill does go thru, people who claim contribution~based ESA will only be eligible to receive it for it for 12 months from the date of their claim/award if they have a partner who earns more than £7500 a year. This should mean, in theory any way, that as you don't have a partner you should be able to still receive what you are being paid.

As we all know tho, anything could change where benefits are concerned :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Ldyalb » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:13 am

I understand things the same as Flup said. But as she said - anything could change.

It seems the Government is happy to spend a fortune reforming the benefit system, rather than just giving the money to people who need it :roll:

But hopefully you should still be entitled to ESA after one year then with luck :fingerscrossed:

The whole partner thing really angers me. I couldn't claim Jobseekers when I graduated because my boyfriend had a full time job and we lived together. I couldn't claim ESA this time last year for the same reason (as I'm too young to have paid enough contributions I'm only entitled to income ESA and my boyfriend has a job, admittedly well paid for someone 2 years out of Uni, but not enough to support two adults in London long-term). They'll pay me to live with my parents, but not my boyfriend. I would argue that my parents have a greater moral duty to provide for me financially than my boyfriend. They made the commitment to me in 1987 when they decided to try for a baby. My boyfriend made a commitment to me in 2007. Nowhere near as big a commitment. Grr.
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits