DLA Appeal - someone to go with...?

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

DLA Appeal - someone to go with...?

Postby Tilli » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:35 pm

Hi, I applied for and got refused DLA. I've appealed and already had a date for an oral tribunal, but couldn't make it so have been given an adjournment.
My problem is that I haven't anyone to accompany me or speak on my behalf. Well, my sister was coming to the first, but work meant she couldn't get the time off - last minute changes - and is already crying off attending the new date in March.
I've only lived here for 2 and a bit years so don't know anyone well enough to ask a friend.
My daughter helps me during the week usually and, of course, was unable to make that day either and as the new date is on the "wrong day", probably can't come then.
The nearest, and only, Law Centre here say they can't help due to my having more than £8,000 in savings (yep, a whole £10,000).
Local CAB are happy to advise, but won't accompany.
I'm in South Wales, is there any other body or support group that I can contact? Going on my own is not an option and speaking up for myself will probably be farcial. I've a brother and he'd travel down to come along, but, bless him, he's not too articulate.
Many thanks for any help.
Tilli
UKFM Member

Re: DLA Appeal - someone to go with...?

Postby taffeeapple » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:41 pm

hi there, you could try welfare rights, dial or sail, but i dont think you will have any luck because its such short notice, it would be great if your daughter could go with you aswell because she is the one that helps you the most.
I like to shake it, but the fibro does it for me.
taffeeapple
UKFM Member

Postby yaz » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:49 pm

Hi,

I had a welfare officer come with me for my sons appeal. They are really great
YAZ XXX

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter, don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss
yaz
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:05 pm

Have you had a look on the support groups page on the main site Tilli, there may be details of support group in your area on there. If not, you could try Googling your area and fibromyalgia to see what comes up. Even if there is something further than what you are able to travel/get to, it might still be worth trying to contact them to see if they have any advice for you or info of someone who ay be able to help you :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Tilli » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:07 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm too young for Welfare Rights, not 60 'till very late this year.
What are "sail" and "dial" , looking those up gives me boats and telephones :-D
My local Fibro group aren't up to it, sorry everyone, but they're just not that, umm, active.
And, yes, this probably sounds really thick to you all, but I'm not up to speed on this stuff, where do I find a Welfare Officer?
I'll try the Support Group South Wales on Monday. Thanks again.
Tilli
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:37 pm

Hi Tilli

It might be a bit late to get someone to represent you with your appeal being in March, if Welfare Rights cant help you it might be worth asking them if they know of anyone in your area who could.

There have been a few people now saying the CAB won't accompany you to appeals, i think they so busy it would not surprise me if they stopped altogether.

Cant you try your daughter again? it would be better to get someone who knows you as they can help answer the questions and as she helps you in the week she would be the best one to take. :goodluck1:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Tilli » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:40 pm

I have my hopes pinned on my daughter, but her situation can vary from one day to another such that she can't always be with me despite our best plans. I'm trying anything/one/where otherwise in the hopes I can find somebody else, hence my questions. My letter only arrived this Saturday morning which is why I'm asking on a weekend.
Tilli
UKFM Member

Postby taffeeapple » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:00 am

hi i typed in google dial in my local area, mine is swansea and the number came up. you dont have to be 60 to get the help from welfare rights, ring your local council office and ask them for ther number or can they recommned someone to you. good luck.

again sorry if this is nagging but if your daughter is your main helper then she should go with you, she doesnt have to talk you can do that, dont worry about being articulate at the end of the day they just want to know how your illness effects you. take your appeal notes in with you, so you can flick back and for from them. so you dont contradict yourself.

caroline x
taffeeapple
UKFM Member

Postby taffeeapple » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:02 am

sorry just read your thread again, dial stands for disability information advice line type that in
taffeeapple
UKFM Member

Postby Tilli » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:30 pm

Thanks for the help everyone.
Any idea what "sail" is?
Couldn't deal with it today, not up to it, but, as they say, tomorrow is another day.

Edit: Looks like I'm going to be OK, my daughter has been able to get her hospital appointment delayed which means she CAN come with! Huzzah! Thanks for the replies although I've been disappointed that there's no real "professional" support in these parts. My local council referred me to CAB (sigh). I've managed to arrange a CAB meeting next week when they've said they'll go through it all with me so that's good news too.
Thanks everyone, again.

"SAIL" turns out to be the Swansea Association for Independant Living, but I don't live in their county so no good either.
Tilli
UKFM Member

Postby Tilli » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:01 pm

Just an update to those who might be interested.
Went to the tribunal yesterday. It was the single most humiliating and demeaning experience of my life. The lead of the three person panel was like somebody from an old horror film. He was bluntly rude, dimissed fibro with a word or two by indicating that it was "in the head", fired off questions so rapidly that I could barely answer before he barked another and continued in an ever louder voice until he was just short of shouting - at which point my daughter stood up and told him to "back off". I've watched TV shows where the suspect was treated with far more dignity and respect, all that was missing was a set of electrodes and a glaring table lamp.
No idea of the outcome, they said they'd let me know, but frankly I could care less. I was reduced to tears, my daughter was terribly upset and before the taxi had gotten me halfway back I flared to the extent that I just about managed to crawl into bed. Been there most of today too and have a killer migraine.
Good luck to those of you who succeed, I'm done. If there was worthwhile way of complaining I'd go for it. Take care all.
Tilli
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:34 pm

I don't know how to go about complaining but investigate how to and complain. If you do get a 'no' you may even have a challenge based on prejudice/preconceived ideas about you. If he's just decided your illness is all in your head, before you've been able to make your case then you haven't been granted a fair hearing.

I'd speak to the CAB or a similar organisation for advice. And definitely complain - he was bang out of order!
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby jamieww » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:32 pm

Hi Till,
Where abouts in south wales are you??
I have just been put in touch with someone through my Occupational Therapist....she says that she may have someone to help fill out forms and maybe even go with you to a tribunal - as I have my renewal pack ready to be filled in.
I had the misfortune to have to go in front of Cardiff's tribunal service and agree it is degrading and they tried to talk down to me, but it was just going straight over my head, my wife was fuming, but she kept quiet.
I got awarded the lowest rate of care and no mobility which is a total joke.,

Don't give up, I'm sure there's someone out there who can help you.
Jamie
Pregabalin 600mg (2x300mg)/Butrans Patch 52.5mcgrm per hr/Hydrocortisone cream1% (for the 'burn' mark left with the patch)/Diazepam 30mg (10mg x 3)/lithium 800mg/Esomeprazole 20mg/Paracetamol 4000mg (8 x 500mg)/Sertraline 200mg/Risperidone 6mg
jamieww
UKFM Newbie

Postby animalhouse » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:48 pm

it seems if you are able to or trt and answer the quedtsions then you are also deemed to have no anxieties or mental illnesses either - so there is a no win situation with these things for most of us.

sorry if was so d :( :( you are not alone. got cab for my renewasl.
animalhouse
UKFM Regular

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits