got my first medical for ESA & terrified

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

got my first medical for ESA & terrified

Postby newey » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:06 pm

Hi all I'm in a mess @ min my heads workin overtime & think I'm makin myself feel worse coz I can't switch off iv been on esa for nearly a year now since bein made redudant from the job I loved & iv been thro the specailists & mri scans got dx with myofascial pain syndrome then my doctor said about mayb got fibro but she hasn't dx it she is just treatin me for it I'm on pregabalin 75mg twice a day naproxen 500mg twice a day & co-codamol 500mg 2 tabs every 4 hours. I'm always fallin indoors & outside ( sometimes very painful) I also live in a flat so have a flight of stairs 2 get up & down which i always fallin up & down I hardly go out anymore coz of the constant pain I'm in & the fear of fallin its scarin me 2 death 2 think they could say I'm fit 4 work how on earth will I manage my husband has 2 look after me all the time as I fall & can't get in & out of the bath & hate lookin after the kids on my own coz iv fallen before while lookin after my 4 year old & luckily didn't hurt myself or knock myself out
Iv got medical reports about myofascial and bad knee & wondered do they contact my doctor coz she can tell them all about my health history ??
newey
UKFM Member

Re: got my first medical for ESA & terrified

Postby war veteran » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:14 pm

brutally honest it wouldnt make any difference to atos what you gp said.

search online human givens relaxation techniques do some these they will help, the more you stress the worse you will become stress fuels fibro and fibro fuels stress so both will become worse
war veteran
UKFM Member

Postby Roseofsharon » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:22 pm

Hi they didn't contact my doctor for my ESA appeal, but what I did was take as many medical reports as I had on me. Take your husband with you for support and also a witness as to what was said and done during the medical (I was on my own for mine). Beware they seem really nice and then write a pack of lies if they can get away with it. Try and get a doctors report and discharge notes from your times in hospital. Get your husband to carry it though as they watch your every move, and how much you carry. If you look well kept that will go in your report - for the life of me I cannot understand how being able to dress ones self or being well dressed as someone has dressed you says that you can go to work, but it goes against you all the same.

my minds gone blank as to what else I was going to say. Try to relax and make a list of all your symptoms you suffer, when you do. let them read it. They'll ask pointed questions.
Roseofsharon
UKFM Member

Postby war veteran » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:54 pm

what im going to do for my next medical is take in a tape recorder in my pocket tape the whole thing and then if the report comes back different well they got no leg to stand on lol :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
war veteran
UKFM Member

Postby Roseofsharon » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:27 pm

that's a great idea War Veteran, I might well do the same....
Roseofsharon
UKFM Member

Postby fibro-lu » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:58 am

think one needs permission to record
also think bad memory is a valid reason to do so
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby dianesmallwood » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:01 am

hi there not sure you would be able to use the tape recording as your not allowed to take them in :-? i would find out before you use it ;-)
dianesmallwood
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:29 pm

You have to inform them you intend doing so and they can then refuse to continue and you get 0 points
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby scartlass » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:50 pm

Hi all, when you get your appointment for the medical you need to phone up Atos and tell them you want your interview/medical recorded, they will say they will cancel your appointment and arrange another one, as it take about 3 weeks to arrange a recorded medical (don't know why, perhaps they have to find a HCP with the neck to lie on tape) but you are not allowed to take your own recorder.

Good luck to all

Mary
scartlass
UKFM Member

Postby MCT » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:13 am

You should be able to make a recording for your own notes just don't let Assessor know (whilst tape recordings can't be used as evidence at tribunal the transcript can.)

There has, however, been some progress over the right to record assessments.

Under the Freedom of Information Act the DWP were asked a few questions about assessments: http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/9 ... 2.pdf.html

Question 4 read:

“​Why was the pilot study into the recording of Atos WCA assessments conducted using handheld digital recording devices when claimants are told they cannot record their assessments unless they have a professionally calibrated twin deck machine operated by a professional sound engineer, If a handheld digital recording device is OK for Atos why cannot the claimant use the same device for recording their own assessmen​t?”​

The response was:

“​In answer to Q 4 the use of hand held machines was a pilot scheme. The pilot scheme was designed to test the concept of their use rather than the equipment. Provision is currently available for the recording of assessments upon request by the claimant to the office which administers the claim for benefit and Atos Healthcare. In these circumstances, Atos Healthcare will provide the requisite audio recording equipment, which will provide each party with a recording of the medical assessmen​t.”​

B&W say that clarification is needed regarding:

1. ATOS health professionals being given the right to refuse to be recorded which would prevent a recording being made.

2. The type of media to be used for the recordings. The problem being that with the advent of CDs fewer people will have access to cassette players in order to play back a tape recording.

3. In view of 2, above, would it be possible for claimants to be allowed to make an additional recording using their own digital device.

4. Will the recording be accepted as evidence at an appeal tribunal or will there have to be a written transcript provided. If a transcript is required, who will be responsible for providing it?

B&W have produced a Standard letter so that a written request can be made for a recording to take place during your assessment. They suggest that the letter be used when you receive a date for your WCA. If DWP phone you with an appointment, they suggest you ask about it at that time then follow up with a request in writing. It's suggested that a copy should be sent to both to the medical examination centre you're to attend and to the DWP office dealing with your claim.

Dear Sir/Ms,

Name:
National insurance number:
WCA medical date:
WCA medical venue:

Re: recording of my face-to-face work capability assessment

I wish my forthcoming face-to-face work capability assessment to be recorded and to be provided with a copy of that recording.

I understand that Atos will provide the equipment and carry out the recording on my behalf. This was confirmed by the DWP Central Freedom of Information Team in a response dated 24 January 2012, your reference: VTR 2714-3878. This stated that:

“​Provisio​n is currently available for the recording of assessments upon request by the claimant to the office which administers the claim for benefit and Atos Healthcare. In these circumstances, Atos Healthcare will provide the requisite audio recording equipment, which will provide each party with a recording of the medical assessmen​t.”​

The correspondence is available online at:

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/r ... ing-246487

In addition, in a private members debate about the work capability assessment on 1st February 2012, employment minister Chris Grayling stated:

“​On audio recording, we will offer everyone who wants it the opportunity to have their session recorded. We decided not to implement universal recording because, based on the trial experience, people did not want it. Few people wanted their sessions recorded, and some said that they definitely did not. We decided therefore to offer recording as an option to those who want it. That seems entirely sensible.”​

I would therefore be grateful if you would ensure that the facilities are available for my assessment to be recorded. If for any reason this is not possible, I wish to be provided with notice and an explanation prior to the date of my assessment.

Yours faithfully,

or

If you wish to give notice before you are asked to attend a WCA, for example by stapling a letter to your ESA50 then start like this instead:

Dear Sir/Ms,

Name:
National insurance number:

Re: recording of my face-to-face work capability assessment

If it is decided that I need to attend a face-to-face work capability assessment I hereby give notice that I wish to have the assessment recorded and to be provided with a copy of that recording.

I understand that Atos will provide the equipment and carry out the recording on my behalf. This was confirmed by the DWP Central Freedom of Information Team in a response dated 24 January 2012, your reference: VTR 2714-3878. This stated that:

“​Provisio​n is currently available for the recording of assessments upon request by the claimant to the office which administers the claim for benefit and Atos Healthcare. In these circumstances, Atos Healthcare will provide the requisite audio recording equipment, which will provide each party with a recording of the medical assessmen​t.”​

The correspondence is available online at:

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/r ... ing-246487

In addition, in a private members debate about the work capability assessment on 1st February 2012, employment minister Chris Grayling stated:

“​On audio recording, we will offer everyone who wants it the opportunity to have their session recorded. We decided not to implement universal recording because, based on the trial experience, people did not want it. Few people wanted their sessions recorded, and some said that they definitely did not. We decided therefore to offer recording as an option to those who want it. That seems entirely sensible.”​

I would therefore be grateful if you would ensure that the facilities are available for my assessment to be recorded. If for any reason this is not possible, I wish to be provided with notice and an explanation prior to the date of my assessment.

Yours faithfully,
MCT
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits