ESA Medical - What to expect??

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

ESA Medical - What to expect??

Postby xMandiex » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:44 am

Hi all,

I am in the process of filling out my ESA50, but my mind is already on the medical and I'm already starting to stress over it as I have heard so many horror stories. I was wondering if anyone who has had one of these could tell me what happens at one, because I am so young (21) to have fibro, I'm really starting to worry. Any help would be appreciated :)

Mandie x
xMandiex
UKFM Member

Re: ESA Medical - What to expect??

Postby animalhouse » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:11 am

they just ask you alot of questions, observe you as soon as you walk through the door, test you on how you got there and how you are feeling and generallly look for ways to catch you out that you are "fit for work".

you have to be on your guard at all times and do not assume if they are friendly they are using general chit chat as everyhting from what tv programme you watch can be turned around to how much you can sit down, stand, concentrate.

so be ready with plenty of answers to back up what you put on the form.

its good to have someone wiht you who knows you too.

but just tell the truth on the form and try and remember as much as you can on how your condition affects you and vyou are unable to do activiites.

good luck :-)
animalhouse
UKFM Regular

Postby Ldyalb » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:38 pm

Hi, I'm 23 and had my medical two weeks ago. I was lucky and passed it - have been put in the WRAG.

I got to mine 10 mins early. The appointment was 30 mins late (I had to chase). Many people have late appointments, they do like to see how well you sit. Make sure you get the most supportive chair and move around as much as you need to, keep an eye on the time - if you've said you can't sit for more than 30 mins make sure you get up and stretch etc.

The medical was initally just some questions, I've posted a Thread in this section called Questions which may be asked at ESA medical - I'd check it out in advance. She asked me about each condition, how long I've had it, what are the main difficulties etc. Then she asked me about my typical day, things I can and can't do etc.

Then the medical examination was brief, she tested my strength, bending down etc. Make sure if you can do something, but it's painful that you say so.

But don't worry too much about it, you just have to tell the truth and hope for the best. Make sure you fill in your ESA form well, make it very detailed - after your medical the DWP decision maker will base their decision on what your form says, and the medical report. Make sure you tell them as much as possible about what things you can't do, or really struggle to do.
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby xMandiex » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:23 pm

Hi animalhouse and Ldyalb,

Thanks for the replys. I have filled out the form on the basis of a bad day, and included all detailed information about how it affects me and what I can and can't do. I'm also sending some print-outs on fibro, a statement of what day-to-day life is like for me from my other half, and I'm hoping to get a letter from my GP next Monday when I see her, confirming the diagnosis, and how it affects me.
I am planning on taking my other half with me to the medical, firstly for support, but also as a witness to anything said, as I have heard that the Atos 'healthcare professional' sometimes writes a completely different account in the report to what was said. I just hope that they have heard of this condition, as some people have said that they have had to explain at their medical what fibro was, and how it affects them. Will keep you all updated on how it goes anyway :)

Mandie
xMandiex
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:13 pm

:goodluck1: and :fingerscrossed:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby xMandiex » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:33 pm

Thanks denys :)
xMandiex
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits