ESA medical assessment

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

ESA medical assessment

Postby Ninja » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:39 am

I have a medical assessment next Friday for esa, I sometimes use a wheelchair, should I go in it so they can see that I need one? x x
Life isn't about surviving the storm, it's learning how to dance in the rain
Ninja
UKFM Member

Re: ESA medical assessment

Postby Ninja » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:40 am

also I'd be greatful for any other tips, thanks x x
Life isn't about surviving the storm, it's learning how to dance in the rain
Ninja
UKFM Member

Postby VonniB » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:58 am

Hi there
YES, you most go in your wheelchair and if you have someone going with you let them push you. The advice given to me before the medical is to let them know how you feel as if it is your worst day of your illness, even if it isn't, if you know what I mean. I must admit I think I have failed mine, I should be getting the result anytime now. They really try to catch you out; as it is their job to get you back into work; so they go on finding what you can do rather than what you can't do. But you know just be so honest to them, I know it is not very nice describing how you are, but I think you will have no problem at all, good luck. I hope this helps.

Take care.
Vonni B
VonniB
UKFM Newbie

Postby Ldyalb » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:25 am

Hi Ninja. I recently passed my ESA medical (much to my surprise, still can't believe it, am waiting for the medical report itself so that I can see why I passed).

I would take the wheelchair. Here's a few tips:

1) It's in the ATOS contract that they must read anything you bring with you to the assessment about your conditions. You can also request that they attach this info to your report which they send to the DWP. I gave the lady copies of my diagnosis letters, inc my latest one from the Rheumy saying that I'm getting worse. She read them, and attached them to my file

2) Most people's medicals are much later than the time slot, mine was 40 mins late - make sure you chase up at the reception desk.

3) Keep an eye on the time, don't be tempted to act 'normally' i.e. if you need to get up and stretch regularly, change position regularly etc then do so.

4) If you can do some of the physical activities, but it's very painful, you wouldn't be able to repeat etc then make sure you tell the HCP that.

5) Make sure you know your ESA50 well, as Fibro varies so much make sure you're saying the same lengths of time, distances etc that you put on the form. How often I need to shift position when seated varies, but I had put 15-30 mins on the form as that is the average, sometimes it's less, sometimes more but generally 15-30 mins is the most common timeframe. So I made sure to know I'd put 15-30 mins, rather than just tell the HCP 15 mins, or 30 mins IYSWIM?

6) Don't panic or stress about it. If you pass then great. If you don't then you don't and you can always appeal.

Good luck.
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby MCT » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:11 pm

Take as much medical information as you can with you to the medical as they are supposed to take it into consideration when assessing you. Put all the information into either a large envelope or a folder and give that to them rather than handling individual sheets of paper - better still, ask the person who goes with you to carry it and hand over.

The assessments no longer talk about "walking" they now call it "mobilising" so they count being in a wheelchair as being able to "mobilise". No offence intended but were you assessed for a wheelchair or did you get one yourself? I am just wondering what ATOS would assume if you said that you got it yourself without being assessed as needing one. Here is one of the documents used by ATOS during assessments http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/wca-handbook.pdf - the section on Functional Categories (Physical) starts on page 65 of the pdf document. Reading this Handbook is quite a revelation!

ATOS are very good at making assumptions from simple answers: for instance if you say you like watching Eastenders they assume that you can sit comfortably for at least half an hour. On my Husband's report they didn't note he uses a recliner chair so he can adjust position as often as he needs to sit comfortably which is altogether quite different to a chair you would be required to sit on in an office etc.
MCT
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits