'I'm on benefits but I'm no scrounger'

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

'I'm on benefits but I'm no scrounger'

Postby Ldyalb » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:38 pm

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/r ... -scrounger

Think he gives a good summary of how IB/ESA and DLA are supposed to help people. With the whole scrounger rhetoric I think people have forgotten that actually many disabled and sick people do need help, may not be able to work, or may have their ability to work severely reduced compared to a non disabled person with the same skills and qualifications. And also how hard it is for a disabled or ill person to get a job if they're capable of doing some work - as soon as employers see his very painful looking tumour they're put off!
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Re: 'I'm on benefits but I'm no scrounger'

Postby denys » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:47 pm

Poor man but his story is so typical :( :( :( :( :( :(
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Roseofsharon » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:01 pm

I couldn't agree with this more. I only wish that more people would read this.
Roseofsharon
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:48 pm

Hopefully people will read it. That arm must be so painful for him and make life so difficult. It was only when I got Fibro that I realised how important my hands are, as soon as the pain means I can't type, or open bottles and jars etc I realise how much I use, and rely, on them.

Don't look on the discussion topic on the MSE forums about it though. People basically don't believe that a disabled person with a disabled wife isn't rolling in money :roll:

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby shelleydwales » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:06 pm

Poor fellow,he is so right though,we are easy targets!! Im still waiting on my esa claim,not thinking im going to get it though.
A friend of mine who had 2 types of leukemia and so much radio therapy he was lucky that didnt kill him had to appeal even though he has been told he now has a limited lifespan,he,worked and payed Taxes all his life befor illness!!! Makes me so mad!!!!

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk
Shell xxxx

Tomorrow is another day....be brave and smile :-)
shelleydwales
UKFM Member

Postby Roseofsharon » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:34 pm

Yes Ldyalb, I only became truly aware of how much I use my hands, and or other parts of my body (nothing rude please), once fibro made life difficult for me.

Easytargets I think is an understatement, I was in the chip shop this evening (I know very unhealthy, but it's getting me through till my food comes tomorrow), I didn't pay much attention to the radio until someone on there was talking about the figures of those who are out of work and 'not looking for work', those of us who were long term sick were sandwiched in with young people in college, and something else. I forget exactly what it was, but I remember that it was something else were they can work, but won't. I should have asked what they were listening to, but there was another woman in there and I didn't want to be making too much of a fuss. :( Regretting it now...
Roseofsharon
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:14 pm

I had chips last night. They were lovely. You've made me fancy a bag now though Rose! :oops:

Easy targets is definitely the case. I just really want to know what the REAL unemployment figure is. Count all those who don't claim any benefits like ESA and JSA. All those on JSA and ESA/IB. Count all those who are 'under-employed' i.e. working part time when they need full time, working in a job they're over-qualified for etc. Count all those in education who are only there because of the lack of jobs, so people doing Masters degrees etc to avoid job seeking for another year. Bet the figure is massive when you factor the hidden unemployed in.

But it's much easier to attack people like us, rather than chase big corporations for their missing tax returns, sort out the able-bodied jobseekers, let alone find ways to make disabled people more employable. And incentives for companies to hire us etc.

I had a similar problem to the gentleman in the article last year. Was fired in Jan after months of being sick. Had to explain in job interviews what happened, just briefly said I'd been unwell, was now better but as I'd missed a large chunk of my probation period my previous employer had to let me go sadly. Every recruiter, every HR manager, every hiring manager was visibly put off by it! And I'm not visibly ill/disabled. Must be even harder if you can't even hide it at interview stage if you wish.

Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby Roseofsharon » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:10 pm

I know what you mean. I now have three periods of sickness on my CV, although the chaps at the place I was referred to by the Job Centre have glossed over that as much as they can. Even going to the Job Centre for back to work interviews, just before I went onto ESA the interviewers were telling me to go to my GP and get signed off because they saw how much pain I was in, and there I was wanting nothing more than to get back into work. If they saw it then I wonder what chance I would have getting passed an interview now...
Roseofsharon
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:38 pm

I've got my first back to work interview thing on Tuesday. The woman who rang on Friday said I wouldn't have one for at least a month so was surprised by my letter today calling me in for one!

I'll just have to see how it goes :fingerscrossed: it'll be useful to me. I do worry about my chances of getting a job though. I've got such a patchy CV due to all my periods of sickness, graduating slap bang in the middle of a recession etc.

There's just no way to gloss over having been ill/being disabled etc anymore. I'm just going for the honesty approach and at least that way if I do get a job I'll know they're cool with me being me, rather than telling them afterwards and them being annoyed that they've hired a disabled person :yikes:

But it's sad that we even have to think like that. We shouldn't be worrying about looking ill or disabled at interview, having had time off due to illness etc - people get sick. That's life. Some people fully recover, others have to learn to live an adapted life. But equally we shouldn't be having to worry about being forced to attend job interviews when we're unable to work, or extremely unlikely to be able to get offered a job, let alone do it well and keep it.

Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby Roseofsharon » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:10 am

I couldn't agree more. It just seems that they have a vandetta out against us. It's such a shame, but there is so much ignorance about us that we seem to being relaegated to second class citizens :evil: . There are still those who are so ignorant that they talk right over us or they treat us differently, almost as if we cannot do anything for ourselves. It's a shame that this attitude reigns in the work world... :swear1:

Well we know differently and it's time that we showed :girl_moon: to them. Perhaps if enough of us fought back then... well who knows.
Roseofsharon
UKFM Member

Postby BlueBerry » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:37 am

I total agree with what everyone saying I been so angry pass few days get throw into work program when I in a period in my life where i am unfit to work . I can't even stand or walk far. We are so classeified as second class that it such a worry and that the disable are been put down in the street and say we scroungers we arn't getting a lot in benefits...

these job totals say nearly 2.67 are out work is totaly wrong people are been moved off IBS to ESA then to JSA and jobcentre is pass work on to private companys is a joke I wish the torys never got in......

I just want to get better and maybe in 2 to 3 years then think about work but with Fm my mam said to me who knows what you going be like when your my age she in her 60s god for bid I can't even cook , stand for long walk in pain all time now my stupid gall bladder attacks.

what hell going happen when welfare reforms happen which they are sorry I am rant a lot but this guy I feel for him I saw picture of his arm and that same way my feet use to be when i first got ill :oops: :oops:

Oh light note mmmmmmm chips shop I miss chips stupid low fat diet all I had today was salade and chicken well none chicken it post to be similar and low fat yoguite god I want so chips heh :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Image Pingo is my middle name :lol:
BlueBerry
UKFM Member

Postby Roseofsharon » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:38 am

BlueBerry wrote: these job totals say nearly 2.67 are out work is totaly wrong people are been moved off IBS to ESA then to JSA and jobcentre is pass work on to private companys is a joke I wish the torys never got in......

I just want to get better and maybe in 2 to 3 years then think about work but with Fm my mam said to me who knows what you going be like when your my age she in her 60s god for bid I can't even cook , stand for long walk in pain all time now my stupid gall bladder attacks.

what hell going happen when welfare reforms happen which they are sorry I am rant a lot but this guy I feel for him I saw picture of his arm and that same way my feet use to be when i first got ill :oops: :oops:

Oh light note mmmmmmm chips shop I miss chips stupid low fat diet all I had today was salade and chicken well none chicken it post to be similar and low fat yoguite god I want so chips heh :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

First of all I hadn't heard that hey were going to move us off ESA onto JSA. I had heard that either this year or next year they will move us all onto a new coverall benefit. How that is going to work is beyond me as they already have a backlog of appeals and medicals etc, that will cause a whole lot more paperwork, and medicals and appeals. whoever has put that into place really hasn't thought it through properly. Especially with the crap that ATOS spews out. They need to sort their house out before changing our benefits all over again......

We all want to get better and go back to work, blueberry, ?I haven't spoken to one person on the sick who wouldn't go back to work if they got the chance.

I get the comments of if I'm like this now what will I be like at Xage. Mostly from my boyfriend (and he thinks he's inspiring me to get better). Don't worry about that - my answer is usually 'and that's what scares me'. Usually I laugh it off.

Chips..... Oh yes, I really shouldn't be eating chips, I'm on my second test for diabetes (only because my doctor doesn't want to believe the first one :( going for that next wednesday). I'm trying to get through to tomorrow....
Roseofsharon
UKFM Member

Postby BlueBerry » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:05 pm

Roseofsharon wrote:
BlueBerry wrote: these job totals say nearly 2.67 are out work is totaly wrong people are been moved off IBS to ESA then to JSA and jobcentre is pass work on to private companys is a joke I wish the torys never got in......

First of all I hadn't heard that hey were going to move us off ESA onto JSA. I had heard that either this year or next year they will move us all onto a new coverall benefit. How that is going to work is beyond me as they already have a backlog of appeals and medicals etc, that will cause a whole lot more paperwork, and medicals and appeals. whoever has put that into place really hasn't thought it through properly. Especially with the crap that ATOS spews out. They need to sort their house out before changing our benefits all over again......

We all want to get better and go back to work, blueberry, ?I haven't spoken to one person on the sick who wouldn't go back to work if they got the chance.

I get the comments of if I'm like this now what will I be like at Xage. Mostly from my boyfriend (and he thinks he's inspiring me to get better). Don't worry about that - my answer is usually 'and that's what scares me'. Usually I laugh it off.

Chips..... Oh yes, I really shouldn't be eating chips, I'm on my second test for diabetes (only because my doctor doesn't want to believe the first one :( going for that next wednesday). I'm trying to get through to tomorrow....

Sorry I got bit mix up type this last night what i've said we not get move to JSA but if people fail the ESA they got no chose go to JSA but like I hope all us done have appealed the stupid thing and won.

I was saying 2 to 3 years cause my up comming sugrys and I've been told it could take up year get over them !!! I love go back to work god I miss it have friends going out on my own and make a life for myself but at min it so hard glad my mam is here help me.

good luck about diabetes it run in my family my mam was scared she had it but found out she doesn't my aunte got it and she now can't walk but whole family is help her shop ect.

heh hope that all right fibrofog is a mess thing get when writen and be dislexic and bad mermory is hell lol laught it off and go try eat but I want some chip :lol: :lol:
Image Pingo is my middle name :lol:
BlueBerry
UKFM Member

Postby Roseofsharon » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:28 pm

No worries, we all get fibrofog in some way. I usually forget what I'm saying midsentence. Fine on the computer you can stop and think, not so good when your in the middle of a face to face conversation... Hope I didn't come across picky, just was confused that was all. Leaving us the only option of JSA if we fail the medical is abominable as most if not all of us are in such a condition that we will never be able to work again, for one reason or another - that's why we're on these *** benefits in the first time.

I wish you all the best that in three years you can go back to work, yes I miss working too. I think that's were we get the majority of our social circle. :cry: mine has dwindled to practically none, I've been out of work for so long and a rolling stone as well. Oh well like they say a rolling stone gathers no moss.

Thanks for your wish about the diabetes. It runs in my Family too. My brother has it, but he is managing to hold down a job (Lucky so and so). Don't have any family round me now. As I've mentioned in other threads my mother has passed away, my Father's just too old (reminds me that I must phone him...), and us kids have all scattered (kids in terms of being their kids - I'm the youngest at 31).

Yes - those chips cravings.... hmm right now I'm looking forward to my food arriving, and tucking into a nice ripe pomegranate. I had one last week before I ran out of food, and I'm now addicted! I'll be eating a lot healthier now until my food runs out again at the end of the fortnight....
Roseofsharon
UKFM Member

Postby Woodentop » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:41 pm

Oh how I agree with the poor chap with the tumour. The media make it so much worse than it needs to be when they report that the government want to cap benefits at £26'000 a year. Most of us don't get anywhere near that amount ( I wish!! ) but the public believe what they read. It's those of us on the basic amounts who are being got at - the easy targets- and everyone believes we are living the highlife.
I have an appointment with my MP soon and I'm in fighting mood!!!! :shooting:
Woodentop
UKFM Member

Next

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits