Benefit payments

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Benefit payments

Postby Woodentop » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:26 pm

Don't know if anyone can help me with this.
My incapacity benefit has now stopped and my esa appeal has gone in after a 'nil points' assessment. I know that I will get a basic rate of esa paid while the appeal is happening, but does anyone know when this will start as I will have no money at all until it does. I know I'll have to hand in sick notes, but don't know when this starts either as I haven't worked since 2005.
I just wish the powers that be would have more consideration and realise the position they're putting us in. I have had two major flares in the last couple of weeks which took days to go and I'm sure it's all the stress of not knowing what's going on. :crazy:
Woodentop
UKFM Member

Re: Benefit payments

Postby delectabledebs » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:39 pm

Hi, I'm in the same position as you at the minute. My JSA has just ended due to my 3rd period of sickness in a year. My doc won't support my sickness claim, but JSA won't let me claim as they say I'm too sick!!...think they all need to start talking to one another!! I don't even know when the next time I'll be getting money...don't know how they expect us to live like this....it just adds to our problems and causes us no end of trouble!! Hope you get sorted soon xx
delectabledebs
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:40 pm

Ring the DWP and ask cos I really dont know the answers, hopefully someone else will be a bit more clued up and be able to help :goodluck1:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby MCT » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:48 pm

Have you put in any sick notes at all yet? When it happened to my husband I made him an appointment with his GP as soon as the decision letter arrived. His disgusted GP backdated the first one to the date of his decision letter.

If you've not put one in already you will need to make sure you get to your GP asap and get it sent off (I took my husband's first one down to the local Job Centre), I've been sending the subsequent ones by recorded delivery. You'll need to keep handing in the notes whilst the appeal is in progress. Hopefully once they have the backdated sick note you'll get paid from that date.
MCT
UKFM Member

Postby MCT » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:55 pm

delectabledebs wrote:Hi, I'm in the same position as you at the minute. My JSA has just ended due to my 3rd period of sickness in a year. My doc won't support my sickness claim, but JSA won't let me claim as they say I'm too sick!!...think they all need to start talking to one another!! I don't even know when the next time I'll be getting money...don't know how they expect us to live like this....it just adds to our problems and causes us no end of trouble!! Hope you get sorted soon xx

If the Job Centre say you're too sick to claim JSA what have they suggested you do instead? I think you need a new GP, are there any others available in the same practice you could see?
MCT
UKFM Member

Postby Woodentop » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:46 pm

Thanks for the replies. Have just phoned the dwp and they say I should have been told that I needed to send a sick note with the appeal. I know full well they didn't and all the silly woman could say was it wasn't her fault and that she could only apologise. Apologise!! They really cannot grasp the situation they are dropping people in by not giving out the correct information. I believe they know exactly what they are doing - it means that they will have to pay out less money, which at the end of the day is what this is all about. I have actually read in the paper that older people aren't claiming what they're entitled to - hardly surprising with a the system as it is as we all need to be mind readers apparently. The woman on the phone, when I told her I would have no money coming in as they had stopped my IB, was so dismissive and uncaring - they certainly don't employ humans with feeling - it's the 'I'm alright jack' attitude that gets me. I really wanted to say to her that I hoped she found herself in this situation one day but of course I didn't.I was in tears when I came off the phone.
I now have to make an appointment with my gp and hope he's okay about giving me a note.
Woodentop
UKFM Member

Postby Roseofsharon » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:48 pm

:hugs: Sorry you are having such a hard time. I agree that they are deliberately trying to avoid paying out as much as they possibly can. However some of them are properly trained and do give the right information once in a while.
Roseofsharon
UKFM Member

Postby MCT » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:38 pm

Woodentop wrote:I now have to make an appointment with my gp and hope he's okay about giving me a note.

Hopefully your GP will be as disgusted as my husbands has been over his zero points - we let him see the letter and he just kept shaking his head, "disgraceful" & "ridiculous" were two of the words he used as he was reading it.

Check the date on your decision letter and ask GP nicely if (s)he could please start it from that date. Hopefully you should get money backdated to then but don't quote me, I just know hubby got his backdated to the date on the sick note. Last time we went to see GP he gave my husband a line for 3 months "to save him the distress" of having to ask every month.
MCT
UKFM Member

Postby xMandiex » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:05 am

Hi Woodentop,

If you call the jobcentre and ask to speak to a manager,they may be able to issue an emergency payment on the provision that you will provide them with a sick note within 7 days I think. I know this because a few years ago, my other half had to claim esa, and had to appeal, and after sending an appeal letter off, he called them and was called back by a manager, who said they had recieved his appeal (without a sick note as we didn't realise at the time that he needed one), and that he had re-instated the claim, and was going to issue an internet payment that would be in our account by midday the following day (this phonecall was at about 4pm). He was told to get a sick note from the doc backdated to the date of the decision and send it in as soon as he could. Hope this helps :-)

Take Care,

Mandie x
xMandiex
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits