The System Finally worked for me!!!!

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: The System Finally worked for me!!!!

Postby Ldyalb » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:13 am

Hi, I would advise you to speak to the CAB, DIAL or Welfare Rights wrt DLA form - they can help you to fill it in. I also would advise you to fill out the online PDF copy which can be found here:

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/advisers/claimfor ... _print.pdf

HOWEVER if you ring and request a paper copy of the form from the DWP they will stamp the form with the date you rang. You then have about 6 weeks to get the form back to them, if you do get it back on time they'll backdate it. My form was due 6th January and if I get DLA it'll be backdated to 25th November. So I filled it out online as I'm banned from handwriting on medical grounds, but attached my paper form's front page so they know to backdate it. I found filling in the PDF easier as you can easily amend. I sent in:

- the form itself
- 6 pages of A4 which gave extended answers to the Qs on the form (they do not give you anywhere near enough room on the form)
- 6,500 words of my day to day struggles in my own words
- a letter from my parents who care for me
- letters and contact details from: my Neurologist, Neuropsychologist, Counsellor, two Rheumatologists, Hand Therapist, Hydrotherapist and Physiotherapist
- two articles per disability

You need to give them lots of detail. Instead of saying 'I need help with X because it hurts' put things like 'I need help with X because of xyz reasons due to Fibromyalgia etc'. If doing something means a worsening of your pain and fatigue afterwards say so, explain that if you go for a short food shop/walk etc on Monday you may not be well enough to leave the house again until Thursday etc. Explain exactly why you need the help, if you need someone to help you shower explain that this is because of balance problems for example. If you have examples of when things have gone wrong i.e. you have slipped or fallen in the shower by yourself, tell them. If you need help to do things in terms of motivation then highlight it e.g. 'I need someone to prompt me to shower, and to help me physically to shower. This is because it's painful and exhausting to shower for me because of my Fibromyalgia. I therefore find it hard to motivate myself to do it, so I need someone to prompt me so I keep clean. I also need them to come in the bathroom with me...' etc. It's unpleasant but the more info you put down, the better they can assess you from the form. I would also mention on it that you have to space out tasks, if it took 4 weeks to fill out your DLA form by doing a little each day in two sittings then tell them that.

Take your time with the form but it's definitely worth seeing the CAB et al - they gave me loads of help with mine. I'd done a decent attempt at it on my own but the CAB lady helped me to fine tune it and prompted me with stuff I hadn't thought to put down. Some of the necessary level of detail hadn't occured to me.

And good luck :-D
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby Roseofsharon » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:58 am

oorwullie wrote:Roseofsharon thats very helpful thanks. It almost sounds like you were planning a military operation, seems thats what its come so that you can actually get what you are entitled to these days. Glad you beat them, kinda gives me hope. :-D

There was a lot that I could and should have done differently and Ldyalb has given you much better advice about what to do than I could. I can truly say that I've been lucky having done mine all myself. CAB and Welfare rights are very good at getting the forms filled out, and do get them to help you from the get go, you're more likely to succeed my late mother's DLA took two attemps (and she was VERY ill even at the time of the first. CAB filled out her second attempt). However be aware that if your claim goes to appeal then CAB are unlikely to accompany you to the tribunal.

Good luck, and hopefully with the help of everyone here you will get a successful claim too.
Roseofsharon
UKFM Member

Postby VonniB » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:26 am

WELL DONE, I'm so pleased for you, stress over thank godness.
I'm waiting for my brown envelope. I had one the other day, I couldn't bear to open so hubby did, but it was something else LOL phew, but I am expecting the worst to be honest, I was no good at the medical :cry:
Good advice you have given on the appeal :-) thank you.
VonniB
UKFM Newbie

Postby shelleydwales » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:17 am

Great news!!! Well done!! :lol:

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk
Shell xxxx

Tomorrow is another day....be brave and smile :-)
shelleydwales
UKFM Member

Previous

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits