Family Crisis

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Family Crisis

Postby djgs » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:13 am

I currently live 200 miles away from my 27 year old daughter who is going through a really tough time at the moment and needs her mum. I'm not really up to the journey but know she really needs me. I've also recently had my esa assessment and am awaiting the dreaded envelope and just know that I'm going to have to appeal so need to be here for that, but my daughter needs me, i fear she may be suicidal, do you think that the DWP will class my going to see my daughter as a valid reason for not responding to the letters they may send. I'm absolutely at my wits end with worry.
djgs
UKFM Member

Re: Family Crisis

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:48 am

Is there a well trusted family member or friend that you could ask to contact the DWP on your behalf, if it becomes necessary??

I hope things start to improve for your daughter :teddy-bear: :teddy-bear:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby ninky » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:58 am

Post Office will do a temporary redirection on your mail for a short period of time and is a reasonable cost.
That way the letters will go to your daughters address and you will be able to reply from there. They won't know where you are and, as its temporary, I cannot see the problem, if you had gone on a short holiday they wouldn't need to be told.
The stress if you don;t go to your daughter will make you worse and, at the end of the day, you are entitles to go out of the house.
Hope all turns out well x
ninky
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:15 am

I hope things get better for your DD soon :hugs:

I agree with Flup and Ninky - look into redirecting your post to your daughter's address and see if you, or someone else, can speak to the DWP.

You have a month in which to appeal a decision :fingerscrossed: you won't have to. But if you do have to make an appeal, if you've had your post redirected then you can always ring the DWP then, inform them you wish to appeal (also put this in writing too asap so you leave a paper trail and have proof) and explain that you'll send precise details of WHY you wish to appeal once you've received the medical report and have sought advice from the CAB or a similar organisation.

You could then explain about your DD and ask if you can send the precise details of the reasons behind the appeal at a later date than usual, to allow you to be there for your daughter. Again - make sure you put in writing.

That way, if you don't have to appeal the DWP are none the wiser. If you do have to appeal then look into telling them. Like Ninky said - you're entitled to leave the house, and it's not as though you're flying to the Alps for a month long action holiday. You're going to help your child.

:fingerscrossed: you get the right decision first time and you're daughter is feeling better soon
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:10 pm

Definitely go to your daughter, if you cant or dont want to do a mail redirection, is there any way you can then bring her back to you for a time I really hope you can sort her out sending some gentle :hugs :hugs: your way :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Roseofsharon » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:59 am

I agree with everyone else. Go to your daughter, you'll only stress more if you don't. Also the mail re-direction idea is the best as that way you will be able to get all of your mail and the dreaded brown envelopes as soon as you can rather than someone else opening them for you - or any other such way around it. You have a family and there's no way they are going to stop you going to see your daughter (they can't even if they wanted to anyway).

Good luck with your ESA.
Roseofsharon
UKFM Member

Postby djgs » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:18 pm

Thanks for all your advice, there was no question of me not coming to see my daughter just wanted to get round the post issue. Just wanted to let you all know that she is not in the best of health but hopefully me just being here and doing what i can will ease her stress. As for my post, a friend is keeping an eye on my house and has agreed to open anything that looks like the dreaded envelope. I feel better about being here but I've not had the responsibility of 3 young children for a while and my fm has decided to throw itself into the equation big style today, luckily 2 children at school and baby asleep, rest time for me, and thankyou all again for advice and concern :-)
djgs
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:23 pm

Hope your daughter feels better soon :hugs:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:26 pm

Sending some [chocolate] [chocolate] coated :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: for you and your daughter djgs. Hopefully with you being there things will start to improve for her :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits