ESA I just don't get it!!

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

ESA I just don't get it!!

Postby orlandosunshine » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:51 pm

I put a threat on here a few days ago but just need to update as i'm just not understanding this! So, I had to finish my job last August and was not aware I could claim ESA. I phoned up this week because finances have got so tight and they said they would send out the paperwork for me to complete. That came yesterday and i've not looked at it yet.

Today, I get a letter which says they cannot pay me ESA as I am not credited with enough national insurance contributions and that this has been based on the year 2010 to 2011. But I worked non stop for 23 years paying NI.....so I don't understand why I don't fit into this?

Then, on the next paragraph it says they may credit me with NI contributions while claiming ESA. Then it says to continue to receive ESA (which i'm not even receiving yet as I only called this week!) I may need to attend a work focus interview.

So what I don't understand here is, are they turning me down before I have even applied and saying full stop I cannot claim anything? Or do I still need to fill out the forms and send them?

HELP!! :crazy:
orlandosunshine
UKFM Member

Re: ESA I just don't get it!!

Postby fliss » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:57 pm

their basing it on you being contribution based not income based,if u were off work last yr u wont of paid in enough n.i.contributions to qualify so u would hav to apply on income based but if u hav a partner working more than 24 hrs a week u more than likely wont qualify for that.it works as if ur gettin paid a wage so on ur behalf they pay n.i contributions for u thats if u qualify for esa.hope this helps if not maybe get in touch with the esa people and ask for them to explain xx
fliss
UKFM Member

Postby orlandosunshine » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:04 pm

Yup I still don't understand it. I've just looked again the the booklet they enclosed was Disagreeing with a decision on Job Seekers Allowance? My partner does work more than 24 hours a week but his salary isn't great. When I phoned them to apply at the time they said that I was elligble to apply!

Do presumably that means I don't fall into either group so cannot get ESA at all? Where does that leave me as I have no income?

Scratching head here....all those years i've paid over the top and now can't get any help :-|
orlandosunshine
UKFM Member

Postby fliss » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:53 pm

i dont kno whether u wud be able to claim income support,personally id ring citizens advice and see if they can help xxsorry i wasnt of any use xx
fliss
UKFM Member

Postby fibro-lu » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:08 pm

orlandosunshine wrote:
Today, I get a letter which says ..
:crazy:

Hi,

was this an automated letter? Just wondering
ie not a person sending but the "little black box" in the computer system sending it
:pcsmash:
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby Roseofsharon » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:45 pm

My advice would be to phone and ask for an explanation, and tell them that you are in the process of filling out the paperwork. That way if it was just an automated letter or a mistake it can be piocked up and dealt with sooner rather than later.
Roseofsharon
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits