You Have the Right to Have Your ATOS Assessments Record

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

You Have the Right to Have Your ATOS Assessments Record

Postby MCT » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:21 pm

Once again the Government are trying to be sneaky by trying to rid you of a right by not informing people they have it!

Confused? For long enough the DWP/ATOS said you weren't allowed to record Assessments unless you supplied and paid for a professional sound recordist and equipment that allowed 2 tapes to be made at the same time (one for you and one for ATOS/DWP) however a pilot scheme took place by ATOS/DWP using their own hand held machines. The pilot scheme was designed to test the concept of their use rather than using the Sound Recordist & equipment.

Under the Freedom of Information Act the question "If a handheld digital recording device is OK for Atos why cannot the claimant use the same device for recording their own assessmen​t?" was asked. The response to the FOI request was “​In answer to Q 4 the use of hand held machines was a pilot scheme. The pilot scheme was designed to test the concept of their use rather than the equipment. Provision is currently available for the recording of assessments upon request by the claimant to the office which administers the claim for benefit and Atos Healthcare. In these circumstances, Atos Healthcare will provide the requisite audio recording equipment, which will provide each party with a recording of the medical assessmen​t.”​

This is from a B&W newsletter http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/news/l ... a-medicals

On 22 February, Labour MP Tom Greatrex asked Grayling:

“ . . . whether people undergoing assessment to determine their eligibility for the personal independence payment will have the right to have the session recorded by audio means.”

In his response Grayling firstly claimed that in the pilot recording of ESA medicals last year “only a tiny number sought a copy of their recording” and then went on to say that:

The Department has asked Atos Healthcare to accommodate requests for audio recording where possible, for the purposes of employment and support allowance, when a claimant makes a request in advance of their assessment. This approach began in late 2011 and we will monitor take up during 2012.

“No decision has yet been taken on whether to record face-to-face consultations carried out for personal independence payment when it is introduced from 2013-14. We want to learn from the experiences of employment and support allowance to ensure that our processes are based on best practice.

B&W go on to say:

Nonetheless, according to the minister, statistics are being kept on the take-up of a right about which virtually no-one knows. Given that a request for a recording has to be made ‘in advance of the assessment’ and that Atos only have to accommodate it ‘where possible’, it is a virtual certainty that very few successful requests will be made.

This will allow the DWP to announce in 2013 that, following monitoring of take-up, the recording facility is being ended . . . just in time to prevent it being introduced for PIP.

That this is all happening under the scrutiny of the supposedly independent Professor Harrington only makes it an even more tawdry abuse of claimants and their right to a fair assessment.

Knowledge of the right to have your ESA medical recorded needs to be widely publicised so that people are aware of it well in advance of their assessment. Any ideas on how to achieve this are very welcome.

We need as many people as possible to make the request to have their Assessment recorded and this is a suggested letter be used when you receive a date for your WCA. If DWP phone you with an appointment, it's suggested that you ask about it at that time then follow up with a request in writing. It's also suggested that a copy of the letter should also be sent to both the medical examination centre you're to attend and to the DWP office dealing with your claim.

Name:
National insurance number:

Dear Sir/Ms,

Recording of My Face-to-Face Work Capability Assessment on (Date of WCA medical) at (Venue of WCA medical)

I wish my forthcoming face-to-face Work Capability Assessment to be recorded and to be provided with a copy of that recording.

I understand that ATOS will provide the equipment and carry out the recording on my behalf. This was confirmed by the DWP Central Freedom of Information Team in a response dated 24 January 2012, your reference: VTR 2714-3878. This stated that:

“​Provisio​n is currently available for the recording of assessments upon request by the claimant to the office which administers the claim for benefit and ATOS Healthcare. In these circumstances, ATOS Healthcare will provide the requisite audio recording equipment, which will provide each party with a recording of the medical assessmen​t.”​

The correspondence relating to this is available online at:

www. whatdotheyknow.com/request/97670/response/246487/attach/2/FoI%203878%2024.01.12.pdf

In addition, during a private members debate about the Work Capability Assessment on 1st February 2012, employment minister Chris Grayling stated:

“​On audio recording, we will offer everyone who wants it the opportunity to have their session recorded. We decided not to implement universal recording because, based on the trial experience, people did not want it. Few people wanted their sessions recorded, and some said that they definitely did not. We decided therefore to offer recording as an option to those who want it. That seems entirely sensible.”​

I would therefore be grateful if you would ensure that the facilities are available for my assessment to be recorded. If for any reason this is not possible, I wish to be provided with notice and an explanation prior to the date of my assessment.

Yours faithfully,

or

If you wish to give notice before you are asked to attend a WCA, for example by stapling a letter to your ESA50 then start like this instead:

Name:
National insurance number:

Dear Sir/Ms,

I wish my forthcoming face-to-face Work Capability Assessment to be recorded and to be provided with a copy of that recording.

I understand that ATOS will provide the equipment and carry out the recording on my behalf. This was confirmed by the DWP Central Freedom of Information Team in a response dated 24 January 2012, your reference: VTR 2714-3878. This stated that:

“​Provisio​n is currently available for the recording of assessments upon request by the claimant to the office which administers the claim for benefit and ATOS Healthcare. In these circumstances, ATOS Healthcare will provide the requisite audio recording equipment, which will provide each party with a recording of the medical assessmen​t.”​

The correspondence relating to this is available online at:

www. whatdotheyknow.com/request/97670/response/246487/attach/2/FoI%203878%2024.01.12.pdf

In addition, during a private members debate about the Work Capability Assessment on 1st February 2012, employment minister Chris Grayling stated:

“​On audio recording, we will offer everyone who wants it the opportunity to have their session recorded. We decided not to implement universal recording because, based on the trial experience, people did not want it. Few people wanted their sessions recorded, and some said that they definitely did not. We decided therefore to offer recording as an option to those who want it. That seems entirely sensible.”​

I would therefore be grateful if you would ensure that the facilities are available for my assessment to be recorded. If for any reason this is not possible, I wish to be provided with notice and an explanation prior to the date of my assessment.

Yours faithfully,

If the opportunity is there to record these Assessments then I think we need to make the most of it.

After my husband's assessment, and from what I've read elsewhere, I think a photograph of how you looked on the day, preferably just before you go into your assessment, would also be useful.
MCT
UKFM Member

Re: You Have the Right to Have Your ATOS Assessments Record

Postby HazelB » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:58 pm

excellently written - i'm just waiting on a decision for my transfer from IB to ESA .... so i may be needing to make use of the sample letters. And if i do get it recorded - i will be sure to come back & let people know how i get on xxx
(soft hugs)
Hazel xxx
HazelB
UKFM Member

Re: You Have the Right to Have Your ATOS Assessments Record

Postby BlueBerry » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:00 am

wow you tell me we can record the assessment that be great news but I don't trust this govement one bit but if it true about damn time they so lie on the forms image be able to record it make world of difference and atos won't have leg to stand on :lol:
Image Pingo is my middle name :lol:
BlueBerry
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits