Assessed for ESA, but points sytem wasn't used!

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Assessed for ESA, but points sytem wasn't used!

Postby sonic2k11 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:44 pm

Hi all,

Best wishes to everybody, I am new to this site, but would appreciate any help offered.

I sent back my ESA form, and have been place into WRAG group, I am appealing against this after advice from GP and hospital consultant, I and they feel I should be in the support group.

I asked for a copy of my medical report, it was very conflicting to my answers on the form, and the medical evidence supplied has been completely ignored.

However when I asked for a copy of how many points I scored and how they were applied, I was told I wasn't scored on points but on something they call scrutiny! I asked what this meant to be told, my form was basically skim read.

How is this fair, that some people are assessed on points, some on their forms being skim read?
sonic2k11
UKFM Newbie

Re: Assessed for ESA, but points sytem wasn't used!

Postby fliss » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:00 pm

thats totally unfair god i hope they dont do that to mine xxhope ur appeal gives u the outcome u need xx :-D :hugs:
fliss
UKFM Member

Postby sonic2k11 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:02 pm

I had no idea what so ever they could do this and nor can I find anywhere on the internet that this something they do.
sonic2k11
UKFM Newbie

Postby MCT » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:02 pm

Must admit that I thought they were giving everyone medical assessments these days! Here is a link to the "manual" they use to come to their decision - you need 15 points to get ESA:

If the claimant scores 15 points in any physical and/ or mental activity or a total of 15 or more points from a combination of activities, then the criterion for limited capability for work is met for benefit entitlement purposes. At this stage the decision maker will also consider whether a claimant is to be placed into the Support Group, if the advice from the approved healthcare professional indicates one of the criteria for limited capability for work-related activity has been met.

The scoring system is here (from Page 17 onwards):
http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg ... 177366.pdf

If you were placed in the work related activity group but think you should be in the support group, you can appeal the decision. You stay in the WRAG whilst your appeal is in progress. You need to be careful though because if you ask to have your award looked at again, there's always a possibility that could lose it as well the possibility of going into Support Group. You should go to your local CAB for advice on how to proceed, you have a month from the date of the decision letter to appeal.

How to request reconsideration/appeal - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12541

Hope that helps.
Last edited by MCT on Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MCT
UKFM Member

Postby tentimes » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:11 pm

I think if it is FB you suffer from and no other problems then you can consider it well-done just getting into the WRAG. That means you passed the medical. The only people I hear of getting into the support group are 1 person with an Iron lung and another in a coma. It just doesn't happen.

I've been in the WRAG for quite a bit now and nobody has even interviewed me - they just left me to rot.
tentimes
UKFM Member

Postby sonic2k11 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:23 pm

Thanks MCT,
I understand how the points system works but when I requested a copy or even confirmation of how many points I scored from my form, I was told points were not used in my instance, it was assessed by what they term at scrutiny. I do not understand why my form was not assessed in the normal way by using the points system.

I have FM & CFS/ME, many of the linked illnesses, most severe of those being IBS & TMJ, I also have several herniated discs in my back and something called Piriformis which is like having your sciatic nerve strangled. Incontinence is a big problem as is my short term memory. I can walk limited distances with a stick but rely on using a power chair.
sonic2k11
UKFM Newbie

Postby tentimes » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:26 pm

Also, the work related activity group is not a chain gang or any of the things you are seeing on TV at the moment were people have to go to work. The idea is they think you could work in the future and they interview you about that and maybe suggest a course or something.

In practice they are being used as evidence gathering exercises to get you off benefit - be careful what you say to the advisor. You are required to go to the interview but not to actually do anything. I intend to sit in silence at mine should they ever send for me.

In my opinion ESA is an absolutely disgraceful and barbaric system which penalises the disabled, and I am certain from talking to the people who did my appeal that they are cynically just trying to drive people who are sick into work to get the welfare bill down. I have total contempt for anyone involved in it. Sick people are the easier to bully and this is the area they are seeing the biggest reduction in numbers. So they are saving money not from getting the people who are actually abusing the system out, they are picking on the people they know will give in.

WRAG is not that bad and you get £25 a week extra on it - I use it for a cleaner.
tentimes
UKFM Member

Postby tentimes » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:30 pm

There is a good chance then with what you have said that you could possibly get into the Support Group, but I wouldn't bank on it. If it was me I would definitely be getting professional help (CAB etc). Apart from everything else they also take a lot of the anxiety of the process away.

Good luck! I would be delighted to hear of your success and it sounds like you really do belong in the support group in my humble opinion.
tentimes
UKFM Member

Postby sonic2k11 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:31 pm

It does say on my medical report from them return to work within 12 months.
sonic2k11
UKFM Newbie

Postby tentimes » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:41 pm

Usually they set a reassessment of 3/6/12 months. If it's putting return to work, then really you could do with some help with it. I have never even heard of this system they have used in your case, and I have everything including the ATOS manual here. I used to do benefits appeals for people as part of my support work, but ESA was brought in about the time I had to leave due to my own illness.

Honestly, it sounds (to me anyway) that you really could do with having someone professional taking a look at this. Try not to worry, and sorry if some of my earlier rant about ESA might have contributed to the stress - I get so mad about it sometimes.

I have appealed and won, as have many others on this board. The more I read of their paperwork the more angry it made me feel. My doctor and the advisor told me not to take it personally, they are being unfair to almost everyone who applies.

Some advice I would offer, from personal experience, is if/when you do get CAB etc handling it for you, hand over the responsibility with the paper work and believe them if they tell you your chances are good.
tentimes
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits