What do we do now?

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

What do we do now?

Postby LeaSparkle » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:22 am

Hello everyone!

I had my obligatory phone call this morning from DWP about the Governments recent changes in ESA.

I was told that from the 30th April my ESA will stop.

I am obviously in the WRAG (although I always thought this was a bit of a joke and in two years of being on the benefit I have never been called for a work related meeting).

I asked her what I was supposed to do now (I think my husband is about the threshold earning around £27k a year - this is all taken up with mortgage, bills etc - we're already struggling)? Her only suggestion was to apply for DLA. I have often thought about applying for DLA but after my nightmare time ATOS I have always just been too stressed to do it.

Since the phone call the fibro has flared, I feel terrible and think I'm just going to cry! My husband, who to give him credit is a absolute dream as far as my illness goes, has said we just won't be able to manage.

Just don't know what to do or where to turn. With the nature of the disease my head is all over the place. I really don't know if I'm coming or going. I suddenly feel dread.

Please help.

Sparks.
LeaSparkle
UKFM Member

Re: What do we do now?

Postby newey » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:48 am

Hi really feel for u I also am goin thro bad time havin 2 appeal my esa and money worries I have also cried so much over it all which has made me even more tired I hope all works out for u x
newey
UKFM Member

Postby LeaSparkle » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:03 pm

Just feel so alone - my husband working away this week and my parents who usually help me a lot are on holiday.

The've told me I can apply for DLA, the only reason I haven't done this yet is because of my recent ESA appeal when ATOS completely mucked up (in my opinion) my medical. It just all feels too much to cope with.

They've said that I won't get income (is it income?) based ESA (although I can apply for it!!) because my husband works over 24 hours a week.

The thought of having to go on to JSA is daunting. I am just not well enough to work.

When you have fibro you have to look for reasons every day to just keep going. Now I want to curl up and hide.

Bloody hell.
LeaSparkle
UKFM Member

Postby newey » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:08 pm

I am in reciept of dla never had any problems with that its only since I got made redundant from work on medical grounds (which the company used atos and they also adviced I was not fit for work) but wen I had medical for esa they said I was fit for work well if I was fit for work I would still b doin my job I loved and nearly manager of my own store and do they really think I would choose 2 b on benefits and struggle 2 survive I'm about 500 quid a month down sorry rant over lol
newey
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:51 pm

Is your ESA ending due to the changes affecting those in WRAG who will only received ESA for 1 year???

The best thing to do is go and see someone like CAB, DIAL, Welfare Rights, or other similar organisations in your area. They will be able to advise you based on your situation, and may even be able to help with completing forms, paperwork etc.

The system really is in a mess :facepalm: :facepalm: There has been no thought about how those who are only able to claim ESA for 12 months will be affected once their claim finishes :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby LeaSparkle » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:18 pm

I have researched it now and understand how it works.

With the new changes it entitles people who have worked for two years to a years worth of Contribution based ESA. After the year you are able to claim for Income Based ESA but because my husband works more than 24hrs a week I won't be entitled to it.

The government has decreed that a 24hr a week wage is enough for a couple to live on. They do not take in to account any extras (like mortgage - thankfully we have no other debt).

In a way I understand this. For instance you wouldn't want the wife of a man who earnt £250k a year claiming ESA indefinitely. But as my husband earns less than a tenth of this it feels wrong.

Instantly on 30th April we are going to be around £400 a month worse off. I am finally going to have to bite the bullet and apply for DLA. Something that I have found too stressful to do. The only other alternative I can think of, now that the government feel I am able to work, is to claim JSA for as long as I can.

I wish the people who decided these new cuts could walk a mile in our shoes. I think a lot of us will be claiming JSA which will do wonders for their unemployment numbers (not). Suddenly the DWP are going to have an influx of disabled people trying to get fibro/disability specific work.

Good Luck to you all.

If any one else has any more advice for me please do post. I am so new to all of this rubbish as like others worked constantly for twenty years before my fibro reared it's ugly head.

Sparks
xxx
LeaSparkle
UKFM Member

Postby helen w » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:37 pm

I am in the same position except I get dla as well. I have also been told to claim jsa,but as I feel I am not fit for work I am not sure I will get it BUT I think we should all claim it and then their unemployment figures will go through the roof. There is not enough jobs around at the moment for fit and well people so how on earth are we going to find work???What employer will take a fibro person on over a fit person?? They should walk a mile or even 50 yards in our shoes instead of looking at figures on paper.
I will be seeking advice from where ever I can as this drop in income is already causing me so much stress that I know another flare is imminent. My hubby works full time as well as looking after me and earns about 22K,so taking away this benefit will make life very difficult for us. Why o why do they not look at individual cases.....what is this PIP they are bringing in???? Anyone know what that is and how it will work?????
Good luck everyone xxxxx
helen w
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:40 pm

LeaSparkle wrote:Instantly on 30th April we are going to be around £400 a month worse off. I am finally going to have to bite the bullet and apply for DLA. Something that I have found too stressful to do. The only other alternative I can think of, now that the government feel I am able to work, is to claim JSA for as long as I can.

This is the kind of thing that CAB etc can help you with. They are also familiar with the whole system, and may be able to advise you on what other things you could be eligible for.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby chrissietosh » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:42 pm

Hi, I really feel for you - I've been dreading the same thing happening to me, though I'm already in receipt of DLA, and I know my GP will back me up. If you need to apply for DLA I can't commmend the CAB to you enough, they were wonderful with me, even coming to my home to help, because I had become increasingly agoraphobic , suffering from anxiety and depression. I was turned down the first time I applied, after filling out the forms myself, but the CAB took over and on appeal I was granted lower rate of care and mobility. Since then my illness has worsened considerably, and CAB applied for an increase on my behalf, and I was granted medium rate of care and higher rate of mobility, which enabled me to run a car, and thus changing my life very much for the better. Don't be put off by the forms, make an appointment and take them down to the CAB, is my advice.
chrissietosh
UKFM Member

Postby animalhouse » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:45 pm

i have lived through the same over the past 2 years - dla tribunals that got turned down because of esa, esa tribunal that i finally won after a year - onnly to be told i was not entitled to it as you say because of my oh income and no contribution based as i had been a student.

the whole system sucks but i am going to keep fighting for the dla and have now got cab on board when my lrc is up for renewal in the next couple of months.

all i can say when you have cried all you can cry and got over as much as you can you and oh need to sit down and reevaluate your life now and face up to your limitiation dability wise and earning and change your lifestyle.

we moved from a mortgaged house and 2 full time wages - to 1 wage of 3 days per week and my lrc of £20 per week - and to be honest beneifts of hoursing and my sons dla i am sorry to say to pay for activiites - and we now live in rented.

it is a hard decision to face up to but a year down the line we are releived we have been unburdened of debt and mortgage and just take each day at a time. i wish you all the best and :hugs: :hugs: then you can cnocentrate on you and feeling well enough to enjoy what life you now have. i try and focus on some exercise and diet feeling well and do not thiink about the other stuff anymore. and some energy to deal with dla.
animalhouse
UKFM Regular

Postby migrembe » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:11 pm

For all those who have a partner/husband who is working and can support them I think you should be truly grateful. As for the rest of us including myself try living living on £400 a month not with £400 less.

rant over
migrembe
UKFM Member

There's always one.

Postby LeaSparkle » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:31 pm

This is a place for constructive advice. Not a place for assuming you know about what I have or have not got.

Rant over.
LeaSparkle
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:35 pm

migrembe wrote:For all those who have a partner/husband who is working and can support them I think you should be truly grateful. As for the rest of us including myself try living living on £400 a month not with £400 less.

rant over

I don't think anyone has said that they aren't grateful or appreciative of their OH/hubby working and supporting them. As for trying to live with £400 less a month, as we don't know all the details of each other's financial situations, it's not really a fair comment to make. If info was available and it was obvious there was massive overspending on frivolous things, then such a comment might be merited.

I know I'm very fortunate that my OH works where he does and earns what he does for us to live on. However, it's not that many years ago that we were literally in the position of either pay the bills or eat, and that didn't include paying the mortgage :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: We learnt a lot from that financially tight time, one of the main things being that you shouldn't make assumptions about someone's situation based purely on how they may look and sound.

Sparks, please don't read this as more info is needed to answer what you have asked, as that definitely isn't the case. All I'm trying to say is that we all have different incomes and outgoings, and irrespective of how much is coming in each week/month, many people are feeling financially pressurised.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby jsh » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:00 pm

HI
The whole system is a mess, who is going to employ some one who could be a Health and Safety Hazard, when only had couple hours sleep, :sleep: cant walk up stairs,they say they want to get Disabled people back to work, then what do they do ,go and close 30 Remploy units. where is the sense in that.?
Take care
Mr Angry ,well could be if I had the strength.
jsh
UKFM Member

Postby lynn22 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:10 pm

Hi. leasparkle I had the very same phone call this morning and am in the same situation as you, my husband works - a bricklayer - and we have to pay £900 a month rent - with no help from any source on that one - yes I feel penalised for him doing the right thing and working if he had not botherd to work and claim benefits also then we would have still been able to claim, does this seem right!! I am still ill we still have no money and could go bankrupt because of this. I worked for years and years paying my tax and yet now find that for this I am left afloat when help is needed. Sorry but it seems to me that the less you pay into the system the more you are intitled to take out.
I have thought about DLA but heard that this will be changed over to PIP soon and so would still get it taken away. I just want to cry this seems so unfair.
lynn22
UKFM Member

Next

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits