ESA, should I put myself through it?

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

ESA, should I put myself through it?

Postby tanya039 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:57 pm

I have been off work for 11 months now, and have been receiving ESA since November. I finally received a letter for an Atos medical on 5th April. I have been dreading it - I will need to drive 45 minutes each way, which I would not normally try to do.
I have also read so much negative feedback about the assessments, that when I explained it to my husband, his reaction was that I should not put myself through it.

I am in receipt of a private income protection policy through my employers, and this gives me 60% of my salary until I am able to return to my job or until I turn 65. I am only 41. His point is, do I need to put myself through the stress the medical will involve, for the sake of £270 a month? I am expecting it to stop in October anyway, as it would then be assessed on our household income. It is a lot of money, and it does make life comfortable just now, we will notice when it stops.

I see his point, and would love to just opt out, is this realistic?
I would welcome opinions
Thanks
tanya039
UKFM Member

Re: ESA, should I put myself through it?

Postby boogzangel » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:58 pm

Hi tanya039,

If you aren't up to travelling to Atos contact them, they will arrange a meeting closer to your home or perhaps a home visit. The worst thing you can do is go if you aren't up to it.

For my initial medical they asked me to travel to the nearest city which is 50mins drive, I contacted them as unable to travel that far and they arranged it at a Jobcentre 15mins drive from my house. Since then my condition has worsened and they visited me at home for the last one, also put me in Support Group so it is definitely worth a phone call.

Hope it goes well for you!

xxx
boogzangel
UKFM Newbie

Postby Ldyalb » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:09 pm

Only you can decide if it's worth it or not. Personally I would go for it - the worst they can do is say no. If you do pass the medical then the extra money is always handy. Even if you're not desperately in need of it it makes sense to get it if you can so you can save it for a rainy day.

I was petrified of my medical. I was convinced I would fail and I thought my age (23) would count against me. But I passed the medical and was placed in the WRAG. It almost doubled my money as under 25s only get £53.45 a week during the assessment phase, rather than £67.50. So I was a very happy bunny :-)

So there's always a chance that you would pass the medical. It's not a foregone conclusion that you won't.

Even if you don't pass the medical you can appeal the decision and continue to receive the £67.50 a week. You can withdraw an appeal at any time so by going for it you're not committing yourself to anything which you can't undo at a later date.
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby tanya039 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:21 pm

Thank you both for positive replies.
I have called and that is the closest medical centre they can offer me, no mention of job centre or home visit!
I have moved it on a week to the 12th so I won't need to make special arrangements for my son that day, one less thing to think about.

I know I am ill, and I cannot work, I have a job to go back to as and when I am able, and my employer has agreed I cannot work. I just worry about the worst case, and being made to feel like a fraud. I will give it a go now, thank you
tanya039
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:05 pm

They wouldn't give me a home medical as I was only a 10 min drive away, and it was on a Saturday so my Mum could drive me (I don't drive). I didn't persue it as it was so near to my house anyway it would have been difficult to argue I couldn't sit for 10 mins to be driven to it.

However some people have been able to secure a home medical by getting their GP to write to ATOS and state that you need a home visit. Your GP could explain that 45 mins each way is too far for you to drive and that doing so will cause a flare/make you worse etc. It doesn't always work for people, but there have been cases where people do secure a home visit with their GP's support. ATOS won't suggest a home visit to people in the hope people don't know that they can request one.

It's worth a try, would make life easier for you if they have to come to you and save you the drive :fingerscrossed:
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby MCT » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:30 pm

The 45 minute trip each way, especially if you do the driving yourself, will set the ATOS assumption machinery going into a real frenzy (especially if you then sit in a waiting room for ages as well)!

Make it quite clear to them that this is far too far away for you to travel & have a word with your GP and ask for their support in getting the medical either moved closer or for it to take place in your home.
MCT
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits