ATOS MEDICAL

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

ATOS MEDICAL

Postby Mavrocat » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:52 pm

Hi, I am new to this and just had my diagnosis of fibro and hyper mobility in dec 2011. Think i have had fibro for few years but just kept plodding on. I have just been asked to attend ATOS medical on 4 April. I would appreciate any advice, information that would be helpful and beneficial to help me with this and what to expect. Some people seem to have an unpleasant experience and seem to have to fight to get benefit they deserve. Why to some people seem to get the help and benefit they need and others don't. Look forward to your advice
Mavrocat
UKFM Newbie

Re: ATOS MEDICAL

Postby denys » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:50 pm

I think the most important thing is to take someone with you so that they can keep an ear open for everything that is said. Dont panic and be honest, cos that way you will always remeber what you said, ask for a copy of the report and go through it with a fine toothcomb :goodluck1: and :fingerscrossed:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Itsonlyme! » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:25 pm

Hi there, I agree with denys, I would take someone in with you if you can, I have had a few of these, weren't that great in the beginning I have to say so best to be totally honest and explain as clearly as you can what both your bad days and better days if any are like, don't be frightened to ask questions, what they know about Fibro, what happens next etc, don't do what I did the first time I went and come out wishing I'd have asked various things.
They do seem to ask odd questions sometimes like can you pick up a pound coin off the floor!, My advice to any question would be don't reply straight away without thinking about the answer...if the answer is Yes, no problem..then great, say that, If the answer absolutely not then obviously say so but if the answer is Yes, "but not without being in pain", then make sure you make that clear, don't just say yes or no without offering any detail, don't feel rushed or pressured, it's your interview so just better to think about it first and take your time, hope that makes sense, they're not as scary as some people would have you believe hon, but from experience it's sometimes too easy to just want to get it over with, answer the questions and get out of there. If it'll help write a list, (it did me) if you think you mite have trouble remembering specific things on the day, how you're affected in which areas, things you may struggle with on a typical day, how you sleep, what Meds you take etc...I do hope you get on OK, PM me if you have any questions by all means, and Good Luck x
Itsonlyme!
UKFM Member

Postby Mavrocat » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:44 am

Thank you for your advice and help. My husband is coming along with me so he will be listening too, as I do easily forget stuff. Great tips, will write down what good and bad day like etc, thank you. Will let you know how it goes......getting nervous already!!!!
Mavrocat
UKFM Newbie

Postby Ldyalb » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:45 pm

Is this for ESA? If so :goodluck2: and don't panic. The worst that can happen is they say no, in which case you can appeal the decision. If not then you may be lucky and get a decent Dr, mine put me in the WRAG, which is exactly where I wanted to be first time. There's just no way of telling how it'll go, just go in and tell the truth. I'm glad you've got your husband for support, it helps to have someone with you. :fingerscrossed: it goes well :-)
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby Debzjm » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:33 am

I've got mine on 16 April not looking forward to it.
I'm trying to get as much info as possible like a letter from my Gp saying I have tried to work and stuff. Also getting info of my old employer from the back to work interviews and exit interview I did from August 2010 to December 2011 when I had to leave due to not being able to work due to the pain and flare ups.
I use crutches when I'm bad should I use them to go to my medical or just inform them when I'm there that I use them on bad days.
What other things may help..
Debzjm
UKFM Newbie

Postby Ldyalb » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:49 am

I would take anything you use, even if just very occasionally. My letter told me to bring any mobility aids, medications, even my glasses! with me. I only use my glasses to watch tv and only use my walking stick in bad weather but took them with me.

You may well need crutches on the day, I had one of my worst Fibro days ever on the day of my medical as the stress of it flared the Fibro up. It was a good thing though - I passed :-) If you don't need the crutches take them anyway so they can see that you have some. You may need them on the way back after the medical anyway.

I would check out where the place is in advance if you can. Mine was a 10 min drive away but turned out to be in a different part of town than we'd thought - if we'd gone the first time on the day we'd have been late. I'd take someone with you if possible, it helps to have someone for support. I took my Mum. Luckily there was decent parking at mine but others have reported a long walk from the car to the door, or lack of disabled parking. It's handy to know in advance.

I would also keep an eye on the time - my appointment was 30 mins late so I was sat waiting around for 40 mins in total before I was seen. Had to use the loo twice and get up every 10-15 mins for a stretch. Try and get a supportive chair in the waiting room. They try to trip people up by saying they managed to sit for 30 mins or so waiting with no problems - if they're late make sure to mention it to reception to check they've not forgotten you.

:goodluck2:
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby Mavrocat » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:40 pm

Hi Again. I contacted my gp for a letter explaining my health situation etc, but was told that they do not do that, It is up to ATOS to make the decision, think gp can only get involved if you have to appeal. I maybe wrong but that was info I was given, I have my gp day befor my ATOS medical so I discuss it with her then.
Mavrocat
UKFM Newbie

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits