Esa

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Esa

Postby angelxxx » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:38 pm

At the moment im on income support but in the middle of a claim for dla.ive just had a esa form come through the post and am worrying after reading various horror stories on the net. Im now worried that if i have to go to one of these assesments they will find me fit for work. Ive got severe depression and fibromyalgia and a history of self harming. Is anyone else in the same boat? If i cant get esa wat happens next?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
angelxxx
UKFM Member

Re: Esa

Postby loubie » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:18 pm

hi angel
sorry i can't answer your question as i no nothing about the benefits system
but not every one has the same thing happen, so try not to get to worried :fingerscrossed:
all will be ok :-D
loubie xx

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are
no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of
UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

Postby VonniB » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:47 am

Hi Angel

I am kinda in the same boat. Last year I had no choice but to leave my lovely part-time job because of my health. I left last October. Since then I have been claiming ESA, then I had the ESA medical at the end of Jan and failed .............. :-? I have had no money since Feb 6th and they haven't even had the decency to let me know in writing about it. I only found this out when I rang up to find out why I have had no monies, the dept I spoke to let me know that I had failed and that was why I had had no money and they are getting in touch with the dept to push for my report. Since then I still have had nothing in writing, I have rang twice now to chase this up and still had no notification, so now I will have to call at the ESA office to find out what happens and what money can I get now. When you are feeling ill already this is the last thing you need, I really wasn't too stressed and depressed before but I am really heading in that direction, I have suffered with really bad depression and self harmed many years ago and managed to overcome this to a certain degree, but now I can feel myself sliding into the blackness :banghead:

What I was advised is that when you fill the form in, write it as if it was your worst day of your illness and lay it on really thick and don't hold back a thing. There are a number of websites online that will guide you to fill them out, if you Google or other 'how to fill in (I can't remember the name of the dreadful form)' and this will bring up a number of sites.

For now I hope this helps, I know there are lovely ladies on here who will be able to advise and give wonderful support. Please let me know how you are getting on, as I will let you know how my case is going, I will be appealing, of course lol ;o)

Take care Angel and stay in touch :hugs:
Vonni x
VonniB
UKFM Newbie

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:43 pm

I do my research, i study the guidlines, search and read all the DWP information. I read up on peoples stories. Then i draft up notes, gather my information and go through everything with someone just to make sure all is ok before i finalise everything and send it off.

Took me 3weeks!! phewww... shattered me it did. The stress and anxiety of all this has made me very ill and my stomach (IBS) is in knots with the worry.

The tips i can give you are:-

You have to show/tell them that your unemployable in every job available. Ok sounds like a task BUT if you cannot sit/stand/walk for long without severe pain/fatigue etc then this is a good all round information which covers most jobs.

If you have any cognitive problems EG.. memory loss/foggy head/bad concentration etc this will also effect a huge/all range of jobs

They may see depression/CFS/Anxiety/FM as fluctuatin conditions/conditions that can be cured/controlled. So... always state that even tho you may be on medications/therapies they do not cure symptoms, for example...

*I am currently taking diazapam for muscle spasms and fluxotine for my depression BUT even tho i take these tablets regulary thro the day i experience side effects (fatigue/dizziness/nausea etc) which effects my concentration/makes me unstable and need sleep* etc... also these tablets do not take away all of the pain and depression only helps reduce symptoms a little.

You can also say that your days are always the same your symptoms do not fluctuate, your pain and depression are there all the time.

Then another tip for depression is a question about your behaviour. Sounds like they just mean for people with agression etc but in fact in depression it can also mean that you are un incontrol of your emotions and at any time throught the day you start to cry and need support to calm down etc.

Say how many times a day you need support for simple tasks throughout the day.
Explain how severe symptoms are when attempting the tasks they ask you on the form and if you do manage to complete the task how it will effect you for example...

I attempted to pick up 2pints of milk but as i went to grasp the item i missed and knocked it on the floor because of the dizziness and fatigue which makes my co-ordination bad OR my fingers went into spasm/ the pain whilst attempting to pick up the milk was so bad as it traveled up to my arms and neck that i dropped it. so its expressing any complications you have

Depression... You go on cognitive problems mainly... can you read instructions/set out to do a task and complete them.
Answers like, my memory is so poor that i cannot digest information and need it read to me repeativly so i can understand it but then i forget minutes later and need the support again.

Encouragement... (depression) i have no interest and motivation in life and feel very weak and dizzy. I need encouragement and support to help me out of bed in the mornings or i cannot get up. If i am left alone i cannot leave my bed not even to atempt to make myself a meal... This then shows them that every day will be such a struggle just to even get motivated that you may be late for work etc...

Concentration (depression) you have to state that where there is lack of concentration and confusion is can be dangerous especially in a work place. So express how just attempting every day tasks leaves you in a mind state let alone being in a workplace.

All about using perticular words to.

Instead of... I tried, i put i attempt... i cannot , not i struggle...

One main area which im seeing alot lately is where your children are involved. They do and will ask you about family/kids. How you look after your children. My advice is to say that you get help with lookin after your kids (hubby/family/friend) and when you are looking after them yourself how it makes you feel (exhausted/pain worsens etc)

These tips are of my advice only, its not what you should put or say its how i would do the forms. With studyin guidlines etc i am hopin this will also help many.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:55 pm

Im on a roll now (last post took me hours with many breaks lol)

Anxiety.... My tip is to put you need some one you trust to help support you in panic attacks also in depression sucidal/self harming thoughts as only *my mum* or *hubby* etc give me reassurance so i can see it through. I cannot seek reassurance from strangers. This then shows them that in a workplace the employers cannot support you on attacks. Also say these emotions are uncontrollable and can come on at any time.

I suppose summing it all up what ever disabilities you have its really going indepth of how your symptoms effect you and how you cannot work/be emplyed with them in the explanations you give and the complications that can / does arise for the questions they ask.

right that my head spinning so off for a break :crazy:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby shazq » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:10 pm

Great tips Lisa. :clap: :clap:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:25 pm

Cheers Lisa :wine: :wine: Fantastic tips once again :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:47 pm

Brilliant tips Lisa they should help loads :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate]
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby VonniB » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:50 pm

Wow Lisa, you have been soooooo helpful to me as well, you are AMAZING, thank you.
Vonni B x
VonniB
UKFM Newbie

Postby Ldyalb » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:27 pm

It's worth trying for ESA. Sometimes people are lucky, like me. I passed the medical and was put straight in the WRAG which is where I feel I should be.

if you do get a no, or are put in the WRAG when you need the Support Group then you do have the right to appeal. During the appeal you can continue to receive the assessment rate of £53.45 or £67.50 a week dependent on your age until your appeal is heard.

The absolute worse thing which can happen is a no after you've appealed. But even then you're better off than you would have been had you not applied as you will have been given the same money you'd receive on Jobseekers, but without having to sign on every 2 weeks and look for work. And you can always apply again.
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits