Atos Medical...what next??

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Atos Medical...what next??

Postby Whiterabbit21 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:08 am

Hi all, im new to this site so ill give you a brief explanation of whats happening. Ive suffered with fibro for approx 7 yrs and also have an unknown type of arthritus, hypermobility and all the other lovely effects of fibro. As most sufferers i struggle with many day to day activities and suffer with depression as a result of this. I was in receipt of HRM and MRC for the last 3 years but upon renewal in feb 2012 i was refused any kind of help and had the car taken away. This has had a huge impact on my health and mental state. I asked for a reconsideration and the same decision came back. I had the support of my local MP and had submitted a letter from my own doctor who is fully supporting my claim. I then put in for an appeal with yet another letter from my doctor. I was told the appeal process could take 11 weeks before i heard anything regarding my claim so i was quite suprised that after only 4 weeks i had a letter to say a doctor was coming to my house to perform the medical. I had heard horror stories of ATOS doctors and after my last visit (3 yrs ago when my first claim was rejected) i was quite nervous as the doctor was rather unpleasant and rude :(
Anyway....the doctor has just been this morning and im so glad i was lucky to have a nice doctor :-) He was sympathetic, made me relaxed and actually made a few jokes with me which was nice. Or as i like to put it, he seemed "normal", no power trip or anything.
Now heres the thing....after he examined me he asked me if i had applied for DLA, i of course said that this medical was part of my claim as it was going to appeal. He said "thats crazy that you had it stopped in the first palce" Then when i asked if he wanted to read my doc reports he said "i can if you want" but signed his forms, sealed them and got up to leave and said "just wait and see what this comes back with" and smiled, which gave me some hope. Now, it seems to be that the doctor didnt know about my claim? is that normal he wouldnt know? Also, how long will it be before i hear anything or will it just go to tribunal? im confused and a bit stressed out. Any help is appreciated. Thank you
Whiterabbit21
UKFM Newbie

Re: Atos Medical...what next??

Postby iandp » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:54 pm

Hi, i also had a atos medical as i took my claim to appeal, it seems normal practice for this to happen b4 a appeal hearing as if to try and resolve the problem b4 it goes out of their hands.

The dr i had was also "normal" and althou she put in a report to dla which got me hrm n hrc wen i got a copy of her report there was still some points she completely got wrong.

I wud suggest you phone dla and request a copy of the atos report as u have the rite to have it, then u will no wot was sed about ur condition(s).

Also my dr didn't apparently know my history either.

Hope u get it sorted soon.
iandp
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:49 pm

Maybe they dont know your history as that might colour their actions :dunno: :dunno: I would ring and ask what happens next it cant hurt and as the last poster said you could request a copy of the report and that might put your mind at rest :fingerscrossed:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Whiterabbit21 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:25 pm

Thank you for the comments, ill ring them later in the week and see if there has been any progress. I'll keep you posted, fingers crossed!
:-?
Whiterabbit21
UKFM Newbie

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits