What's the flipping point?

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

What's the flipping point?

Postby Roseofsharon » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:33 am

OK so most of you know that I won my appeal just over a moth ago for DLA. Well now because my income is more than my expenditure and the gov't has changed the law on housing benefit for single 25-35 year olds in private rental. I have been told that because I don't spend my DLA money that I have to use it to cover the short fall of my rent.

Thank you Gov't I no longer get any benefit from having DLA. So any benefit, such as getting my hair done or going out for the day or even getting any disability aids that I might get from having my small amount of DLA (actually I use it to pay my care and then have a small amount of my ESA left over and then have the rest of my DLA over, but forget how I work things).

If I had not gotten my DLA then I would have been eligible for getting Discretionary housing payments. So I ask now what's the point of having lower rate DLA if it is just going to be taken away from me in paying the shortfall on my rent (which up until February this year there was no shortfall - it's the gov't that has screwed me over on this one).Oh and yes I do get housing benefit, but due to the changes in the allowance it doesn't cover my rent any more - it used to.

They have literally left me with £6 over and above the necessary expenditure I have.

Surely that is not even legal?! This is so wrong!!!!! How can they take away my DLA money like that, when it's meant to be there in order to make my life easier and help with the excess expenditure we have being disabled in the first place???!!!!
Roseofsharon
UKFM Member

Re: What's the flipping point?

Postby Ldyalb » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:34 am

That's absolutely ridiculous - DLA and ESA should be exempt from these rules. They're not designed to pay your rent, especially DLA. The whole point of DLA is that it covers the extra costs of disability from taxis, special food, a carer, mobility aids, daily living aids to health treatments whether massage, physio, swimming etc.

:hugs: I can see why you're annoyed. The whole system stinks. And I'm sure I read somewhere that this £26k benefits cap was meant to exclude DLA. :swear1:
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:56 pm

Rose I really dont know what the answer is anymore :dunno: :dunno: the way the benefits system has changed makes it impossible to wade through and understand unless you have a PhD in gobbledegook :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: I really feel for you and the only advice I can give is to seek proper advice from the likes of CAB etc. just to see if you are entitled to anything else that might help :fingerscrossed:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby MCT » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:02 pm

We've not had a renewal for our Council Tax in yet but in previous years our DLA hasn't been included as being income towards CT Benefit - has the way it's calculated been changed now?
MCT
UKFM Member

Postby lolabolla » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:01 pm

I thought that DLA was not a means tested benefit. When did the rules change?

Lola
lolabolla
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:17 pm

Have you been to CAB for advice? I didnt think they could use you DLA :shock:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Roseofsharon » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:14 pm

The rules surrounding housing benefit are clear the DLA does not count as income as far as that goes. However they seem to do their own thing when it comes to discretionary housing payments. I too had a shock that my DLA could count as income and even bigger shock when they go through every minute penny as to what you pay out. For some reason apparently my DLA counts as income as far as the discretionary housing payments are concerned. They're leaving me with only £6 left after my rent and other payments are paid. This is just wrong.

Yes Shaz I Phoned the CAB on Monday about this and am now awaiting someone to phone me back from their legal representatives. I'm going to phone them again in the morning as I've waited all week for their phone call and nobody has phoned me. :-x

This is really a ridiculous position to be put in. As I said earlier if I had middle rate DLA (either care or mobility) then I would automatically still have my full rent paid, but because I am on lower rate Mobility and care I have to pay this excess. I can kinda understand those who are able to work having the rules changed on them to encourage them into work - but those of us who are on ESA and DLA shouldn't be put in this position it's completely wrong!!!! I've also updated my homechoice application so hopefully the council will re-house me soon and I can again get the benefit of my DLA (Oh yes the new rules only apply if you're in private rental not in council).

I can only pray that I will be removed from this horrid position soon, since I had to fight to get to where I am now as far as DLA and ESA is concerned. WHy do we just seem to lurch from one fight to another?! I just feel like giving up right now. I can't keep fighting every battle that comes my way, I'm just too exhausted. I've fought for too long. I've had very bad depression since I was fourteen and then I was carer for my mother for a good few years until her death in 2010. I've had this :swear1: condition for longer than I've been diagnosed, and have been fighting it for eighteen months. I've had enough! As strong as I've been over the years, and to a degree I still am, I can't carry on fighting everything - something has to give.

Do you know would my doctor help me fight the council on this? Does anybody know who else I can contact as the people I've talked to so far haven't come up with much...
Roseofsharon
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:17 pm

You could also try Welfare Rights and DIAL. I believe the Princess Royal Trust also give some help, not sure if you need a carer to contact them first as they seem Carer focused.

It is wrong the differences between the help you get between LRC and MRC in terms of acommodation, especially as MRC is so hard to get, even when you clearly need enough help throughout the day or night to qualify. I got zilch, despite demonstrating that I need help to shower, that I need help to monitor my medication, to cook my meals and to supervise me generally throughout the day as I forget about turning things off, shutting windows etc. So if you imagine, someone comes in morning to help me wash and take my meds. I can get my own breakfast as I just have cereal. Then someone comes at lunch to help me make beans on toast for lunch and take meds. Then again for tea and before bed. That's care needs IMO anyway!

It's absolutely farcical. If I managed to get LRC I'd be amazed, despite the fact I have care needs and can't be alone for long periods without having to survive off cereal for all my meals.

Let's hope you can get yourself a council home soon and save your DLA. How on earth are you supposed to survive on £6 a week for your food, bills, toiletries, travel costs etc? Do they think you can survive off a slice of bread for each meal, no butter? Madness. :-x

I saw online about some woman who had cutbacks to her care package, I believe she was a wheelchair user due to paralysis. When she complained that she couldn't get all the help she needed in the time she had a carer the council actually advised her to cut her hair so the carer could wash it quicker. Apparently we're not people anymore :evil:
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby millymoodoo » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:39 pm

Hi

This is maybe not what you want to hear but have you tried speaking to your MP and explaining this nonsense to them? Despite all the problems that the government are causing us my MP was exceptional when i needed a disability bungalow as my local council were near on useless, i was also going through repossesion due to government reducing the amount of help in sept 2010. Its worth a try!!!

Good look don't give in!!!

:goodluck2: Millymoodoo :-) xxx
Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them get up!!! When life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!! Everyday is a gift which is why we call it the present
millymoodoo
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits