Sent off my DLA Appeal letter...

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Sent off my DLA Appeal letter...

Postby Katblack » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:50 pm

...and I am bricking it.

Everyone who knows I have applied reckons I should have it, I haven't told many people though as I am terrified that someone might try and 'grass me up' for putting the bin out or walking to my neighbours house for a cuppa on a good day.

I don't know if I have done it all right, no one around me will help or take an interest so I am on my own, I have no one to represent me, I wrote a sort of letter objecting to all the stuff/problems they say I don't have.

I think I have messed up along the way as I have missed so many things off the original claim form, there are so many weird symptoms, like the eyes/sight thing that I haven't written down or even told the drs :(

I'm just so scared of being called to a tribunal, someone told me not to go, tell them I am too ill to attend, but I don't know if that would go for or against me, anyone got any advice?

Thanks
Kat x

Scoliosis, 2 major spinal surgeries, DDD in neck and lumbar spine, Spondylolisthesis, HMS and now FM!
"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by." - Douglas Adams.
Katblack
UKFM Member

Re: Sent off my DLA Appeal letter...

Postby Ldyalb » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:38 pm

I'd go to to the tribunal. You don't have to go, but your chances of success will be reduced.

Now that you've sent off the appeal letter (don't worry, you can send extra reasons at a later date, just say your Fibro fog meant it wasn't written in the initial letter) they have to reconsider their decision. So now all the documents you sent before will go to another Decision Maker. If they agree with the initial decision it will then go to a tribunal. If they decide to make an award you can either accept it, or appeal if you feel it is too low (although this could potentially backfire if the tribunal decided to remove the lot).

You can change your mind before the tribunal, if you are too ill to attend then they can hold a paper hearing, and if you decide you can't deal with going in person then you can change your mind too. But attending does increase your chances of a successful award.

There will be a wait of a number of months before the tribunal so you may yet be able to find someone who can help you. If not then try and take a friend/partner/adult child with you if possible for moral support and to back up what you say. There are also some guides online published by various charities etc dealing with benefits appeals - if you google 'guide to dla appeal' or something similar then hopefully some should come up and be of some help to you.
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby Katblack » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:31 am

Thank you!
Kat x

Scoliosis, 2 major spinal surgeries, DDD in neck and lumbar spine, Spondylolisthesis, HMS and now FM!
"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by." - Douglas Adams.
Katblack
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:20 pm

I just found out today my DLA application is going to appeal following another 'no' at reconsideration. I've just got back from a trip to see my boyfriend in London so I'm leaving it now until next week.

Then I'll ring the CAB and start gathering evidence. If I find any online guides which are helpful I'll post links on here so everyone else going through the process can see them too.

I just hope I don't have to wait 12 months for the appeal to be heard now!

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby Katblack » Thu May 24, 2012 5:42 pm

I've had a reply from the DLA appeal thingy and it is still a 'no'
There is a huge document, me and hubby have looked through it, they have still not consulted either of my hospital consultants or my Gp and have basically made it look like - 'Oh you have Scoliosis, you had an op so now your all fixed, oh you take a few painkillers but everything else you have put in your form is a lie - and by the way Fibromyalgia is not a *real* illness' - they have not included FM in my list of illnesses but as an extra in addition to the illnesses over, 'the customer also suffers from FM'

I am so upset :cry: I am going to contact the CAB, if its not already too late, but looking at my claim, they have made it look like I haven't seen the pain clinic since aug 2011 when I saw them on 23/12/2011 and put that in my claim...that I only take co-codamol even though i sent them my prescription list...it goes on and on and on

They reckon I should not be in the amount of pain I am in or have any problems with the illnesses I have :(
Kat x

Katblack
UKFM Member

Postby Katblack » Thu May 24, 2012 5:47 pm

Also what happens if things have changed since I put in my original claim?
It's getting on for 6 months since I filled the claim out and my condition has/is deteriorating/ed - I am on more pain killers at higher doses, but still in pain, in fact more pain, and whereas I was only in pain on one side of my back its now both sides also I have had a procedure at the pain clinic since it all went in, what should I do??
Kat x

Katblack
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Thu May 24, 2012 6:18 pm

Seek advice from CAB/Welfare Rights or DIAL.

wrt getting worse. I have the same problem :(

You basically (to the best of my knowledge) have two options. You can put in a new claim as you've got worse, however you will no longer be entitled to the back payment.

The other option is to carry on with the appeal, however the Tribunal will base their decision on how you were at the time, not how you are now.

My plan is to continue my appeal. Should be some time after November 2012, a year after I applied! If I get an award then fantastic, I get a years' worth of backdated money. If I get a low award, and feel I could get higher then I will re apply after the back money has come through. If I get no award I will apply again asap and keep trying until it works out for me.

But seek advice about what to do.

Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits