welfare reform - underoccupied home

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Postby pixiecat » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:06 am

Hi

Just got my letter from my council telling me my rent for 2012/2013 and a letter about the new welfare reform coming into place
april 2013 that if you have a spare bedroom you will be charged £11 and two or more £20 if you are of working age :yikes:
there are no exceptions if you need that bedroom if you are ill, fostering or have your children for odd stays!!! :nono:
So I will have to move from my 3 bedroom that I had just got to how I need it to a 1 bedroom that is nearly impossible to get
in this area, and half of the flats are upstairs and although I have to use stairs, I have an extra hand rail, can stop halfway in the warmth
and comfort of my own home, and if I trip I fall on carpet, not stone steps
also I was looking forward in the next few year to have grandchildren stay but this too will be taken out of my hands by forcing me to
go to a 1 bedroom.
How I absolutely HATE :-x this gov no wonder they have a nickname of the condems!!!
I have trouble sleeping now but this has kept me awake more and I cant stop thinking about it

Lorraine
pixiecat

Postby Mozza » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:54 am

But if you have a second home you don't pay council tax!!!!!! Go figure!!!!
Mozza
UKFM Member

Re: welfare reform - underoccupied home

Postby Ria Landon » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:59 am

That is ridiculous. I have a spare room but both my sons and their girlfriends come to stay and my 5 grandchildren come for sleepovers too. My friend also comes to stay. My family and friends know that I need help and support and their coming to stay means I am not alone for more than a night or two each week.. Am i gona have to tell them they cant sleep over and when my new little grandson needs a sleep in the afternoon, there wont be a bedroom with his cot in it to sleep? My grandaughter would be devastated if I told her she couldnt come to nannys for sleepovers. She loves her bunk bed and theres no way I could fit the things they need in my room.

Is the £11 and £20 per week?

Ria
Ria Landon
UKFM Member

Postby Deegill » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:08 pm

Totally outrageous.

So not only do we worry about our health, trying to get professionals to believe in us, we worry about DLA going to PIP and will we get it, worry about ESA, medicals, we've got to worry about loosing our homes!!!

Lets make the governments lives easier for them and commit mass suicide, cause some people will!!!

we have a 3 bed house, one room is an office. My husband is retired but I'm 40, Will we still have to pay for that room?

They are ruining not only the disabled lifes, but healthy lifes too, like you said, looking forward to having granchildren stay, others have families stay, my daughter comes up and stays.....so we buy out next door for our second home cause at least we don't have to pay council tax!!!

But the dear ole government are happy aren't they, 2 luxury homes, chauffer driven cars, money coming in with no worries, why should they care about us poor measly people who have enough s**t in their lifes!!!

Sorry, so wound up, got infection in a tooth which been throbbing for a couple of days, now on antibiotics, just had mother phone me, her friend walks in door and she says to me say hello to Gloria, she's mum's friend, i just know her, haven't seen her for years, hell don't even phone my own friends cause it knackers me! daughter turning 12 soon, has ME and now getting random pains, feeling stiff in the mornings, unrefreshed sleep.....does this sounds like something we all know? my elder daughter 21 in May, is stressed out, 8 weeks pregnant, although we know baby is in the right place this time as had scan 6 weeks ago, November's eptopic pregnancy at 8 weeks is very much in her mind, any pains there her heart races, she too has Fibro, stuck at home with a sod for a dad, boyfriends moved in and coouncil told them to look for a 1 bed, WHY? they'll need a two bed in a matter of time, why waste money on a one bed to have to do it all again on a two bed, she's been told to claim JSA, and to find a job in 6 weeks anywhere as long as it isn't more than 90 mins ONE WAY, her road is just under a mile long before you get to town, she gets car sick just in that distance and she told the guy at the interview!!!

Besides, who is going to employ a pregnant lady who will need odd days off for constant monitoring as high risk for miscarriage, days off due to fibro flares, starts no earlier than 10am and finish no later at 3pm time to get home and rest before the next day work?

I'd welcome David sodding Cameron come lve with us for a week and pretend he is me!!!
A smile a day keeps the doctor away!

Denise xx
Deegill
UKFM Member

Postby pixiecat » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:53 pm

Yes those prices are per week
it did say people who are of working age only, so its trying to get people back in non-exsitant work places
pixiecat

Postby *Lisa* » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:07 pm

Im getting confused :crazy:

My housing associaton also sent me info on all the housing benefit changes and how they work it out BUT somewhere i saw it was 10 or 15% for one room and 25% for 2 or more :crazy:

Whatever way its going to hit everyone in this position.

It goes like this

Couple --- 1bedroom
Single person --- 1 bedroom
Couple with 1 child --- 2 bedrooms
Couple with 2 children of the same sex ---- 2 bedroom
Couple with 2 children different sex under 10 --- 2 bedroom
Couple with 3 children --- 3 bedroom

No extra rooms for people like myself who have there children over on a regular basis.

Only extra bedroom that they take into account is if you need a carer to live with you as you need 24hour care!
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby *Lisa* » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:12 pm

pixiecat wrote:Yes those prices are per week
it did say people who are of working age only, so its trying to get people back in non-exsitant work places

Yea and guess what??? that age is getting higher! :crazy:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby 1958 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:55 pm

I might be alone but i think its a good idea when my children left home i downgraded to a one bedroom flat and brought a sofa bed for my living room that my grandchildren love sleeping on and that way my 3 bed house went to someone who needed it
UKFM Newbie

Postby Ldyalb » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:05 pm

I see the logic to it in theory but it needs to be flexible in practice. If someone is single and has a two bed flat which is fully adapted for their needs in terms of wheelchair access, accessible bathroom/wet room etc then it seems counter productive to move them to a one bed which isn't suitable for their needs, especially if money will then need to be spent on making it accessible.

If someone's single and lives in a 4 bed house then you can see their point.

But also they need to take into account that the numbers of people in a property may vary. If people regularly have their children with them as part of a custody agreement then it makes sense for there to be another bedroom for them to stay in. In Norway when my Niece stays with my Brother for around 3 nights a week they have to share a bed as he only has a privately owned Studio Flat. She's 10. It's not a desirable situation. When children reach a certain age they need their own bed and their own bedroom!

I've never lived in a Council House so I'm not overly familiar with the procedures surrounding them. I do know my grandparents were able to buy their Council House under Thatcher. I think in their case it's fair enough as my Grandfather is blind - he's lived there for just over 40 years and knows his way around, moving him would cause a lot of stress and set him back in terms of him needing extra care and help to get around. However, how many other old couples are sat in ex Council Houses with 3 bedrooms and only two people sharing one room?
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby *Lisa* » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:21 pm

The rule already applies to people now who are on the council list.

I feel for the people who have spent all there years in that house bringing up there children, makin it there home by adaptions or decoration etc. The home where they have lived 20 / 30 + years with lots of memories (maybe even give birth to there children at home) and since there kids have grown up and moved away they now use the spare bedroom for the granchildren to stay or as a study even or i know many couples who have to sleep in seperate rooms because of medical reasons or even cause or the loud snoring? :shock:

My housing association are doing a scheme that will give there tenants up to 700 pound if they decide to down grade by 2 bedrooms.
*Lisa*

Postby Ldyalb » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:57 pm

My parents sleep in seperate rooms. My Father has a medical problem which means he needs the toilet 5-6 times a night. He's retired (is 72) but Mum still works full time (is 51). So he sleeps in a seperate room to her so he doesn't disturb her every time he goes to the toilet. Also this enables both of them to avoid each other's snoring :-D

I enjoyed sharing a bed with my bf when we lived together, and I do when he comes to stay. It's nice to have the warmth. But these days I've switched from loving a piping hot bed to wanting a cold one - my poor joints are so hot that there's nothing they like better than a cold sheet and quilt cover. I also like putting my hands under my pillows before sleep and when I wake up. When two pillows are being taken up by the Boy it's quite annoying as I can't just shove my hands under his head to get to the cold bits... :lol:

I can imagine scenarios in the future where I sometimes will have to have a seperate room/bed to sleep in at times when I need a whole double bed to myself to stretch out comfortably. Plus, if we have children I want to co-sleep with a co-sleep cot and it might be better to have me and baby in a seperate bed so that Dad can get his kip in before work.

I think they're going down a slippery slope. People live very differently. Technically sleep guidelines for babies under 6 months say that baby is safest in Mum and Dad's room. So are they going to force pregnant couples to live in a one bed flat until baby is over 6 months, then move them to a 2 bed? Some people co-sleep with their 4 year olds. So does that mean that it's reasonable to expect a couple with one child to only have a 1 bed flat until the child starts school/is 5/other arbitrary time frame? I was still sleeping in Mum and Dad's bed until I was 7 not all the time, (I had severe sleep issues, couldn't sleep without a dummy until I was almost 8, night terrors etc) but most nights. So technically I didn't really 'need' a room other than to house my toys and the cat. It was more her room than mine! So where does it end?!
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby pixiecat » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:16 am

these changes are for working age people so if you are pension age its ok
but if you have had your house addapted you still have to move out and if you need the spare room
to sleep in now and again due to medical reasons this doesnt count only if you have a non relative
give overnight care

I too understand the need to downgrade to give familys the larger house but its not giving people the
oppertunity to have grandchildren over or the spare room for medical reasons,

I think the exceptions need to be judged on personal reasons not just a fixed plan
pixiecat

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits