income related esa

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

income related esa

Postby MichelleJ » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:16 pm

Hi, I'm getting very confused. I'm on contributary based esa which reaches its 12 month period on the 30th april. So looking at going onto income related esa instead. But this means hubby cutting his hours, looking at down to 16 so he can care for me more as I need more help than i used to. I need to know that my income is gonna stay ok.

My question is, how does income related esa work? Rang up and she said its on top of my contribution rate and that the additional income amount is counted against our income but i'd get at least my £99 a week even after the 12 month period if on income related, poss more. But looked at a few sites and it seems unclear on there so wanted to ask you guys.
Dx with fibromyalgia m.e/Cfs and asthma
MichelleJ
UKFM Member

Re: income related esa

Postby diane1 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:38 pm

Hi hope this helps;

ESA Income Based for couple

If in the work group even with limited work capabilities

Applicable amount of £118.95
plus work group amount £24
less earnings minus £20 disregard
Equals the amount of ESA you would recieve

EG; HUSBAND WORKS UNDER 16 HOURS AND EARNS £150 PW.

£118.95
+ £ 24.00
- £130.00 earnings less disregard
= £12.95 ESA due per week

Its not alot but will open the door to other benefits like housing and council tax and free prescriptions etc

I hope this helps any problems let me know.

Diane
Does an elephant with fibro fog ever forget ?
diane1
UKFM Member

Postby MichelleJ » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:11 pm

Based on that we'd get £55.45 a week. Already get free prescriptions cos on tax credits. But this would give me full council tax I think which would be worth £136 a month. I think it looks like i'd get help with my mortgage interest too. Plus free school meals worth £10 a week. Need to go do the maths now and see if it still adds up. Thanks diane
MichelleJ
UKFM Member

Postby diane1 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:18 pm

Hi

Glad I could be of some help. If you go on the GOV web site or your local counil you should be able to find the calculator to work out council tax etc. Theres also alot of benefits help sites that will calculate everything for you.

Good Luck it sounds like your going to be ok which is one less headache.
Does an elephant with fibro fog ever forget ?
diane1
UKFM Member

Postby MichelleJ » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:45 pm

I've had to go onto a debt management plan cos we won't be able to pay our minimum payments anymore whatever we do but wanna make sure we get the best decision for us as we start over and this could mean we'll be financially ok and i'll get the care I need.
MichelleJ
UKFM Member

Postby MichelleJ » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:06 pm

Working tax credit counts so won't get it as that goes up if paul works less. Gonna have to phone them again on monday I think
MichelleJ
UKFM Member

income related esa

Postby ellie24oc » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:09 am

He'd have to work less than 16 hrs and then you won't qualify for working tax credits or child tax credits. I used to work for the dwp (don't shoot me lol) so I know. I can quote for you. Income based income support or incapacity benefit (now ESA) will not apply if the claimant has a partner who works 16 hours or more a week and/or has savings of over £16000. Sorry :( the other way to work it is he may get carers if you get dla and he doesn't work. But it's peanuts.
ellie24oc
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits