Work and FM

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Work and FM

Postby Percy-Vera » Thu May 03, 2012 2:53 pm

I have just been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia after some 11 years of test after test, i would like any input on working with FM and how employers are with any sufferers, I have a physical and mental straining job and find that i need a lot of rest after a week at work wich is normally 50 to 60 hours long. i find i become rather grumpy and a lack of patients at the end of the day and just want to rest.
Is there any addvice anyone can give me to make this easier on my wife and kids.
Percy-Vera
UKFM Newbie

Re: Work and FM

Postby swbadcock » Thu May 03, 2012 3:44 pm

I have PsA as well as fibro , it take forever to convince those who decide if you or the place in which you work are adaptable to your needs , i have just been passed as unfit for the job i use to do by a occupational heath doctor . A mine field as consultants , doctors , occupational therapists are all involved in the decision to say if your unfit to continue in your job with adaptations which is agreeable to you and your employer . I had to convince all that i will try and find a job more suitable to my everyday problems once they got my pain under control , which they still have not as yet . I started the process in July 2011 after years of struggling and have only now got them to believe in the way it effects me everyday . Good luck as you alone can only make the decision to start the ball rolling or carry on as you are .
swbadcock
UKFM Member

Postby Nancyk » Thu May 03, 2012 3:46 pm

I too have only just been diagnosed with fm and have really been struggling at work to the point where I have had to cut my hours by half luckily I can afford to but not everybody can my employer has been really understanding and I have also changed my job role I still get really tired but that is the fibro, speak to your employer about your condition and how it makes you feel sound them out on lighter duties or reduced work load
Nancyk
UKFM Newbie

Postby glenmcgregor » Thu May 03, 2012 4:54 pm

I was diagnosed last May following three years of tests etc etc. Its a long road as people don't really understand what you are going through. My job is with a charity which you would have expected to be considerate but to be honest they just have no idea. The job became stressful when they reduced my hours from 30 to 15 last november but the amount of work remained the same. I hit the buffers in March and have been off sick for eight weeks now with no prospect of returning soon. I have started applying for DSA plus early retirement due to ill health from my pension provider, but boy is it a struggle. Hang in there and check in here often for support.
glenmcgregor
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Thu May 03, 2012 5:22 pm

swabdcock - I have suspected PsA. Waiting to see a Rheumy for confirmation soon.

OP - I have been unlucky work wise, have had 2 bad experiences and 1 excellent one (sadly it was a temp job so I couldn't stay). However others have had some really positive experiences with great employers who have helped them a lot. It does vary.

Some sources of help (have copied and pasted this from another thread as fingers are sore)

- You can speak to a Disability Employment Advisor (DEA) at your local Job Centre. They can help advise you on issues at work surrounding your ill health/disability and can also mediate between yourself and work if necessary.

- There's The Shaw Trust. I've not dealt with them but believe they do similar to a DEA. I do know they help disabled people find, and keep, suitable work. So they could help with the current job, or help you leave.

- Remploy are similar to the above. I've dealt with Remploy Waterloo in the past and found them generally excellent. When I had a bad job (albeit 'cash in hand') they helped me with my job search. They also got me work experience in April 2011 which helped me get a job about 5 weeks later.

A helpful site is direct.gov.uk. They have a section on disabled people and they explain your basic rights etc in the workplace. Legally a company has to make reasonable adjustments for any disabled person in their employ who either a) was disabled before they joined the firm and declared it before being offered a job (most companies do the same for people who don't disclose anyway but legally they're not obligated to) or b) become disabled whilst in their employ. What is 'reasonable' will vary dependent on the size of the company, the cost of the adjustment and the scale of the adjustment.

If the nature of your job is very physical it may be worth seeing if you can switch roles within the company to something more desk based.
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits