Worcestershire plans to put disabled people into care

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Worcestershire plans to put disabled people into care

Postby Ldyalb » Thu May 31, 2012 12:19 am

.... to save money.

http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/archive/ ... ref=twtrec

I can't help but get the image of a large camp out of my head where we could all be forced to live. And maybe even be given work to do in exchange.

What right do they have to remove people from their homes? I know residential care works well for some families where a disabled person has complex needs that the family can't meet; but it should be reserved for people who really need that service. Not sending people who are better off at home, with their loved ones etc, away from them, all to save a relatively minor sum of money. Although it's unlikely to save money anyway - there's a reason for DLA and Carer's Allowance - it's cheaper to give someone the maximum of £125 a week, plus £55 a week CA than spend several thousands a week keeping that same person in a care home!!!

What happens when the aforementioned disabled person is removed from their Spouse and children? Or those who are single parents, removed from their children? They just haven't thought this through whatsoever. What happens with families where more than 1 person has a disability/disabilities? For example if I married my non disabled boyfriend and we had 2 kids, 1 inherits the HMS and Dyspraxia, the other doesn't. Me and the disabled child get shunned off to a home, and boyfriend and non disabled child have to live together, but apart from us?
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Re: Worcestershire plans to put disabled people into care

Postby bestnan » Thu May 31, 2012 7:36 am

How distressing this will be for people in the area and ourselves if it spreads throughout the country. We seem to be back in victorian times where disabled people were place into institutions. Totally not acceptable...we already have to justify our illness to an system which we have paid into all of our lives. Where will the persecution of the disabled end. Where is our voice because it isn't being listened to
bestnan
UKFM Member

Postby becky7044 » Thu May 31, 2012 8:43 am

This is truely shocking,its like bringing back workhouses. Punishing people for been ill when it's no fault of there own, wouldnt it be better to start getting all the fit unemployed people into work rather than punishing us again.
Isnt having this illness enough, but then we have to fight to be understood, have to fight to get a small amount of money to live on even though the aids we need cost more money.
Sorry for the rant but this has made me see red :banghead:
becky7044
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Thu May 31, 2012 1:23 pm

I started volunteering yesterday and was working with a non disabled lady who has been out of work for 18 months now. She hasn't been able to find a job. She'd been a single Mum for ages so she had gaps in her CV, just like many of us who are ill have. If someone who is fit and healthy is struggling then how on earth do they think they'll get sick and/or disabled people in work?

We're in a recession. According to the official figures we have around 3 million unemployed. We all know many more are unemployed, or underemployed and hidden from those figures.

I graduated in 2009 and most of my friends since then have been doing Masters, training courses etc, so not employed, but not claiming JSA etc, so not on the unemployment figures. I also have a few friends who are working part time, or in jobs they are over qualified for so they're not on the unemployment figures, but are effectively underemployed and are seeking a more appropriate, full time job. There will also be many 16-18 year olds doing A levels etc who wouldn't have done so if there were more jobs out there. Same with Uni, when I went in 2006 quite a few in my year opted to stay at home and get a job instead. Now there's less jobs, and more competitiona so more 6th formers want to go to Uni, in the hope that in 3-4 years time things will have improved.

I've also noticed that out of my friendship group from my Hall of residence and my course nearly everyone has done a PGCE, or is due to start one. Only 1 of them who is either teaching, training to teach, or planning to teach ever expressed an interest in teaching at Uni. All the rest have turned to it in sheer desperation as they can't get the jobs they want. Even my in laws put pressure on me to become a teacher (primary) until I finally convinced them that no one wants their 5 year olds taught by a woman with learning difficulties who can't tell the time and barely knows her 2x table, let alone the rest.

And this is just the 16 - 24 year old age bracket. I bet there's loads of middle aged people who have lost their jobs and can't get a similar position now as they're only a few years off retirement. So they're either unemployed or doing work they're over qualified for.
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby Flora1966 » Thu May 31, 2012 1:27 pm

That is awful...How dare the government do that to people...Then again I said to the lady at the DHSS that I just can't live independently as i'm disabled and can't work and they keep cutting my money, I said I just couldn't afford to live on my own and that they would have to put me in a home...She said "Oh we can't do that".....
People should have a choice....
Flora1966
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits