ATOS don't want medicals recording

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

ATOS don't want medicals recording

Postby Ldyalb » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:36 am

http://atosvictimsgroup.co.uk/2012/06/0 ... dy-report/

Bless them. Now they should try being in our shoes and finding out what stress REALLY is.

This is just a smoke screen of course. ATOS, and the DWP, don't want us having concrete proof of the shocking things which have occured during the medicals. Like when a male Dr told a female patient she was lying about being raped, and therefore lying about having PTSD as a result of the aforementioned rape, as a 'real' rape victim wouldn't allow a male Dr to examine her. Or the same Dr not knowing what 'gall bladder' meant, and having to send his patient to the Receptionist to ask her to look it up in the Dr's language online.

And of course all the lies like 'the patient did not appear to be in pain' when the patient has clearly explained that they are in pain.
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Re: ATOS don't want medicals recording

Postby Treece » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:15 am

Not surprised at all, my medical officer told me she was a doctor, that was her first lie, found out later that she was SRN,

then during the medical my bp was 230/150 now I have high blood pressure but that's really high, she was so concerned she told me to make GP appointment urgently, which I did. This nurse then recorded it on medical that my bp was 150/90 which is my normal, slightly high bp.

This nurse then asked me a series of questions and ignored my answers and ticked the box saying I could do everything.

On the day I was clearly unwell, my right leg was very swollen as was both my feet, although she recorded this within the medical, it was dismissed at conclusion. Which was a common thread. There is no mention of my diabetes and the fact its proving difficult to get it under control. Further there was no mention of my bladder incontinence which I am too unwell to have operated on so have to live with along with the infection that flares up on almost a monthly bases. I had a bruise on my right lower arm from were I had fallen with my walking sticks and almost snapped my arm, which was why I was walking with support of my daughter not stick as it hurt to much to use. This was ignored and I was accused of lying. I now walk with a gutter crutch because I have damaged my right arm so much it can no longer take the weight vertically.

I have sent all the additional medical information that has confirmed my fibro, osteoporosis, urticaria vasculitis and a disorder that makes my eyelids, cheeks and lips swell up (none of these were diagnosed at the time of the medical, I just had all the symptoms) With the evidence I asked for a reconsideration and within days I had a negative reply.

At the start of the medical the nurse had sent my daughter out, so I had no witnesses for how I was treated by this so called expert.

My GP decided to send my medical records to another GP (with my permission) to get a second opinion as he said continuing to give me sick notes after ESA has been denied makes them vulnerable, the second GP agreed that I was not well enough to work. I see 4 different consultants, all of whom have said I am too unwell to work. Yet this nurse has more power and is considered more important than all these other professionals. The DWP medicals are a joke.

To me it is no wonder the DWP and their medical officers do not want to be more accountable. I for one feel that it is vital that these medicals are recorded and that both parties are given a copy!
Treece
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:12 pm

That is appalling :(

I was pretty lucky as I had an actual GP and she seemed to get it pretty well. Until she asked me right at the end if she could check to see IF I had a pulse... she also refers to me as a man throughout the report. But I think that was more a language issue (she wasn't a native English speaker) than her not noticing I had long hair and breasts.

But recording them seems the best way to go for everyone concerned. Under a fair system the recording would allow Tribunals, DWP officials to quickly ascertain cases where a HCP hasn't assessed a patient properly; but also to do the same with people who are complaining without due cause to complain.

Medicals have the same downfalls as exams. Someone who is genuinely badly ill can have a better day and get a poor outcome on their medical as a result, and vice versa. That's why the opinions of GPs, Physiotherapists etc who treat the patient should be given more weight. My Physiotherapist last year saw me on a mix of good and bad days. So he could have given a fair account of how it varies for me. Much better than an ATOS Dr who saw me on either a good, bad or average day could.

I think most people on disability want a rigourous testing system. It benefits us at it helps make it harder for the extremely tiny minority of fakers, but also because it gives is a good answer to people who accuse us of 'trying it on'. But the tests must be fair and reasonable. They should also use basic common sense.

Someone who is blind or deaf for example. They're not likely to cease being blind or deaf in the future. So why waste money reassessing them every 2 years? With things like Autism, Downs Syndrome etc that don't go away it seems silly to keep assessing people. Also, some illnesses can't be faked, like Downs. You can't just pretend to have it when you don't. A letter from the patient's GP should suffice to say 'my patient does have Downs Syndrome'. They need to focus the assessments for people who may get better in the future, not those with a condition which won't ever go away, and is extremely unlikely to improve.
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby bestnan » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:25 pm

I find all this distressing. I have just had my medical and the lady was very helpful and told me all that she had written although I didn't get a copy. I assumed I would receive that when the decision makers had come to their conclusion. I was so stressed prior to the medical as I had read such awful stories on here and the stress caused me to have a bout of palpatations so much so that my Dr has ordered another echo just to ensure that all is well. She says I am not fit enough for work and that if they say that I am I must appeal against the decision.
bestnan
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits