Reduction in Benefits

Postby Arty_Andy » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:20 am

8 weeks ago I was getting -
DLA High Rate Mobility and Medium Care Allowance - ESA with disability premium
(DLA mobility 54.05 per week)
(DLA care Allowance 51.85 per week)
(ESA Disability 145.45 per week)

calculating to be 251.35 per week

but in the past 8 weeks I have had my DLA suspended, and also my ESA is under appeal, so the Appeal rate is £71.00) but when I questioned this, their response was that £58.20 of the £71.00 is a premium for having DLA and as I am not getting that now, I am no longer entitled to the premium so my new benefit amount per week is a staggering - £12.80 per week!!!

Yet my fibromyalgia has got worse and I am having more treatment, (physio, acupuncture and on a program with back and pain clinic)
so how can the government justify benefits from £251 per week down to £12.80 per week?

Oh and the best thing they are back dating it from when my DLA stopped 7 weeks ago, so that means I now owe the government - £407.40

Is this how the government is reducing the country's debt by reducing benefits of the disabled to zero - How on earth am I meant to survive on £12.80 per week? answers on a postcard please
Arty_Andy
UKFM Newbie

Re: Reduction in Benefits

Postby shihan » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:38 am

Time for a benefits check up I think.go to your town hall and demand on. The government states that every person needs xammount of money to survive. And I'm sure its more that a poxy 13quid
shihan
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:08 am

You need to speak to someone who knows the benefit system, firstly to tell you how much the minimum amount is that you should be receiving with all current factors allowed for, secondly to see why DLA has been suspended, and what needs doing to sort things out for you.

The people who can help with the advice you need include CAB, Welfare Rights, DIAL and other similar local organisations. Local councils often have a one~stop~shop type place that can help as well.

:goodluck2: :goodluck2: with getting things sorted :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby *Lisa* » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:40 am

As flup says seek legal advice.

Your premium is because you are on MRC so as soon as this stops your premium will stop.

You say your DLA has been suspended... any chance of appealing and getting it returned? if so im sure you will be back paid but yet again seek professional advice

By law it states you have to live on a minium of 71.00 a week. As you do not have DLA & premium gone then 71.00 is the amount you should be recieving.

Do you have housing benefit/counil tax benefit? this may also be effected so seek advice there also.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby bumblebee57 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:55 am

I really dont understand the payments system. People seem to be getting different amounts to each other. Before ESA, "the amount the law says I need to live on" was £98 a wk, less what I earn, from my 5hrs a wk job, taking into account the £20 a wk Im allowed to keep = £83, Income support, as long term sick. So how come NOW "the amount of money the law says I need to live on" is £71 ESA a wk?? I dont get it....
bumblebee57
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:02 pm

I wonder who/whom decided 71.00 was enough to live on? ok the government say so but how did they come to this figure :-?

Did they live on 71.00 a week for months? do they add up utility bills & food? have they really thought this through?

Is there a break down anywhere that shows people how they come to this figure? :-? i bet theres not!!!

So 71.00 a week... say 10 gas/10elect/10water all essentials. Food/toiletries (essential) say 40 minimum per week. Thats your 71.00

If you need a phone line/mobile :nono: :nono: if you need clothes :nono: :nono: etc etc :-|

So it litrally is breadline money....
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby shortnsweet54 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:02 pm

Tsk, this is a total disgrace...why have they suspended one and put the other on appeal?? How can they justify that?? Makes me sick the way they mess with people's lives.
I went for a medical about 2 years ago, failed, appealed and because i appealed my benefit was reducedby 20% (their words...because i put an appeal In!!!!!) to £51 a week.
After nearly a year got my appeal date and won...backpay came through after about a month.
Meanwhile citizens advice told me i was on the wrong benefit and to phone and get it changed then they could not reduce it. Phoned to be told they knew what they were doing and i was not on the wrong benefit. Back to CitAdv and lovely lady phoned on my behalf...oh sorry we'll put her on ESA. Words failed us both!!! Was slightly incandescent i can tell you.
We really do not need this sort of aggravation and stress when we are less able to cope.
Got another shambolic Atos medical tomorrow so will have appeal forms and Citadv on standby.
good luck and take care
Jan H xx
shortnsweet54
UKFM Member

Reduction in Benefits

Postby Just-JJ » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:23 am

Blimey, why are they picking on us as opposed to the people on JSA who can but don't want to work??
Just-JJ
UKFM Member

Postby Ria Landon » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:31 am

Unbelievable!

Could you get your local MP involved? They can sometimes getthem moving. Also, if you have the courage, get the media involved. Its a shocking example of persecution.

Big Hug

Ria x
Ria Landon
UKFM Member

Postby Arty_Andy » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:55 am

I have now received a letter saying the benefit they were paying was incorrect and my new rate is now £10.43 per week, I think this is beyond a joke,
further to my original message, I have been put on the A4E scheme which is supported by the government as a 'welfare-to-work' programme after winning my last ESA appeal in January, but since being on the scheme I had an interview where they said they would help and support people with disabilities get back into work and how they were going to help me get back into work with lots of support, but then on my next interview 3 weeks later, the tables turned and was asked why I hadn't found work yet!! and since then every 3 week interview I have had scheduled with A4E has been cancelled less than 1 hour before it was scheduled to take place, just as my benefits were all stopped, I was again scheduled to have an interview with the scheme at the end of May, again cancelled but now rather rescheduled 3 weeks later, it has been rescheduled for 11weeks later, I have been to the office since to ask for some guidance on returning to work, as cant afford to live on £10 per week, and they aren't interested in even speaking to me, so I begin to wonder if being putting on the A4E scheme is why and how my benefits have been cancelled!!
The whole funny thing to this scenario is that it wasn't my idea to stop work and was told to go on the benefits system due to ill health and now able to complete my duties as a 'Home Office - Close Protection Officer' due to my fibromyalgia by government officials, some 2 years ago and although my condition has worsened I am now told that I am only eligible to £10.43 per week, which seems to me as that I am no longer eligible to receive benefits either!!
So now back in the rat race to get a job, with the other able bodied unemployed that have no disabilities, don't fancy my chances much as the option of taking on someone that cant guarantee from day to day if can get out of bed from fatigue or that I have to be pumped up on numerous pain killers to get through a day to me doesn't look like a bright prospect for any employer.
Best start hunting out good cardboard boxes as may be living under then soon, anyone know of any good bridges to live under?
Arty_Andy
UKFM Newbie

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits