Sick leave and pay question

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Sick leave and pay question

Postby Jibba Jabba » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:19 am

Hi

Not been on here for a while. Diganosed with FM around 18 months ago by a rhuemy and I have a question I was hoping someone could answer. I am suffering with terrible pains in my arm, wrist and hand and was signed off by my doctor 10 days ago (he put it down to RSI initially). Went to see him for an update on Monday and he's signed me off for another week. This time he's written on my certificate that its down to my FM. I spoke to my line manager yesterday and he has agreed to pay me for the first 10 days but not for this week (my Company has a 8 day sick pay minimum), and I was wondering if I can claim for the week I'm not going to get paid or do I just have to grin and bear it? Sorry if this is a stupid question but I've never been in the situation where my wages have been stopped.

Thanks in advance

Julie
Jibba Jabba
UKFM Member

Re: Sick leave and pay question

Postby wendylou » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:42 pm

Hi Julie
As far as i am aware you should be able to claim statutory sick pay depending on the amount of hours you work and the length of time you have been there. I would contact Job Centre Plus for advice. I am by no means an expert on this, but i feel it would be what i would do in the same circumstances.
Hope this is helpful
wendylou
UKFM Member

Postby swbadcock » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:09 pm

Depending on you contract , most will pay so many days in a period of time , say 5 days in 6 months or 10 days in a year at the rate they set some only pay half pay and others again full pay , if not you will get ssp which is dependent on hours worked in a week or month. The rate is set by the government .
swbadcock
UKFM Member

Postby Jibba Jabba » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:49 pm

Thank you so much for your replys.

I work part time, 24 hours a week i.e. 6 hours per day. My company will pay up to 8 days per year but anything over that we don't get paid. Does that mean I have to contact the relevant Government department to claim SSP or is that done automatically via my doctors certificate? Sorry for so many questions but I've not been in this situation before.

Thanks again

Julie
Jibba Jabba
UKFM Member

Postby suelynn » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:20 pm

Hi usualy after company sick pay ends you will automaticaly be paid SSP by your employer and should get it when normal wages are paid. I hope that this is useful and you feel better soon.
suelynn
UKFM Member

Postby Jibba Jabba » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:38 pm

suelynn wrote:Hi usualy after company sick pay ends you will automaticaly be paid SSP by your employer and should get it when normal wages are paid. I hope that this is useful and you feel better soon.

Thank you so much for your help everyone, it's much appreciated. I feel so much better knowing I don't have to worry too much about lack of funds in my next wage packet 8-)

Julie
x
Jibba Jabba
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits