From Zero points medical assessment to ESA support group!!

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

From Zero points medical assessment to ESA support group!!

Postby Ria Landon » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:55 pm

Wahoo! After 9 months of stress DWP have reversed their decision to stop my ESA and have not only overuled their decisionbut put me in the support group. (ironic reaaly because I do want to got back t work) This was after my medical assessment came back scoring 0 points! I phoned them absolutelt distraught that day and spoke to a really lovely woman who advised me to ask for the claim to be reconsidered and to get a letter from GP detailing all my illnesses. Well the GP secretary said I would have to pay for a letter unless DWP requested it, which they then pay for. Was interesting because lady at DWP said they go by what is on the DLA application form and information GP had supplied to them Anyway had long chat with GP medical secretary and she agreed to print off a letter (with doctors surgery address etc) plus all my illnesses and dates of diagnosis and up to date medication. I didnt have to pay for this. Well it seems to have done the trick because they have reversed the decision and not only awarded the ESA but like I say they have put me in the support group.

I wanted to share this because I know how awful it is to go through this and to so stressed every time the postman comes and I wanted to encourage others not to give up fighting for what they are entitled to. I would have gone to appeal if needed but I got the impression from the lady at the DWP wanted to avoid that if possible.(maybe because of all the bad publicity ATOS recieving these days??) When I explained everything to her she implied that if I could supply evidence to prove what I was saying, she could overule the original decision. So there ya go. We are there at last!! there are so many different experiences on here so wanted to share mine in case it could help anyone else. It really is worth asking for a reconsideration before going to appeal and also doesn't effect the appeal process and would at least buy some time. More importantly, never give up!
Ria Landon
UKFM Member

Re: From Zero points medical assessment to ESA support group!!

Postby lolabolla » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:17 pm

Wonderful news Ria

Lola xx
lolabolla
UKFM Member

Postby animalhouse » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:50 pm

great news. take care and treat yourself.

it is so encouraging to hear good news.

i am still awaiting to hear from upper tier and renewal application.

:-)
animalhouse
UKFM Regular

Postby noclue » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:54 pm

well done ria, excellent news!

if its not too personal, what are your conditions? Knowing might help others with similar conditions be more positive.

cheers
ross
noclue
UKFM Newbie

Postby masonsbarms » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:22 pm

so glad for you xx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Postby Ria Landon » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:00 pm

My conditions are depression(diagnosed 1985) rheumatoid arthritis (diagnosed 2009) and Fybromyagia (diagnosed 2011)

There are a couple of other not so serious conditiins but nothing to worry about. I have always worked even as a single mum bringing up 2 children and apart from a couple of very short bouts of claiming benefits between jobs have worked even through periods of severe depression and other illness. I still managed to keep going with the RA although it was becoming more and more difficult but it was the Fibro that finally floored me. They all exacerbate each other!! My GP is great and I cannot faukt the treatment I have received but I am sick of hearing that everything starts to fall apart as you get older. I'm 45 and want my life back! The thought of living like this for the next 40 years is devastating so thats it, now this financial worry is sorted for a while I can concentrate on getting better :-D

Thanks for your support everyone

Hoping you all get some ggod news too :-D
Ria Landon
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:29 pm

Fantastic news Ria and great to hear the system worked for you :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby helen w » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:40 pm

Great news Ria and about time atos started listening!
I too am awaiting a reconsideration to be put into the support group and your experience has given me renewed hope,so thanks for posting.
Gentle hugs xxx
helen w
UKFM Member

Postby sootybean56 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:09 pm

good on you
they phoned me yesterday i am also in support group now
hope their finally listening to everyone :clap: :clap: :clap: :blowkiss:
sootybean56
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:46 pm

Great news!! :-D

Its give me the push to appeal my decision. Im seeing my GP next week and physio so will ask for up to date reports and go from there :fingerscrossed:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Ria Landon » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:12 pm

Yay!

I'm so happy to hear my post encouraged some of you and especially pleased to hear more decisions are being overturned. lets hope this is the start of better treatment for the most vulnerable.

gentle hugs right back at ya :-D

Ria
Ria Landon
UKFM Member

Postby suelynn » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:22 pm

On Monday went to court to be put into Support group but unfortunately lost and still in wrag group but after listening to the Judge about what the requirements are to get into the support group, which is you have to be nearly dependent on a carer to do most things for you i am totaly in agreement of the decision.

I have: Asthma, Bronchiectasis, Depression, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Glaucoma and have recently had a mini stroke.

You are asessed on how your individual conditions affect your daily lives. Good luck to everyone i hope you get the results you are hopeing for. Suelynn
suelynn
UKFM Member

Postby Ria Landon » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:22 pm

Sorry to hear you didnt win your appeal Suelynn. Sounds incredible to me with those conditions but as long as you feel ok about it, thats all that matters. And things can change so you may get better :-D or you may get into the support group at a later date. Either way it seems incredible to me that they expect you to now look to going back to work!!!

I feel a wee bit guilty for being in the support group when I hear other peoples terrible circumstances but at the same time I realise how poorly I am. I do need supervising. Friends and family visit or fone all the time because I'm forever leaving the doors unlocked, the oven on, leaving taps running! boiing spuds with no water in. Well I burn everything else too. Most of my crockery has chips in because I have no energy to lift them and am forever knocking or dropping stuff. I don't like to shower on my own anymore because I dont feel safe as I am woozy all the time and forever going 'wibbley wobbley' as we now affectionately call it!! So although I do need supervision, I am still only recieving low rate care dla. I do think that will change in the future as my needs become greater but for now I just feel like letting it all be for a while and concentrate on getting better or at least making life as good as it can be with these disabilities.

I do hope you feel some sort of closure on this and concentrate on keeping yourself well. maybe at a later date you will feel strong enough to try again

Ria
Ria Landon
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:38 am

Dont feel guilty Ria your desicion was based on the evidence you had supplied and it was thought to be sufficient :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Ria Landon » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:18 pm

Thanks Denys :-D
Ria Landon
UKFM Member

Next

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits