DLA & Atos - Stitches n broken bones

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

DLA & Atos - Stitches n broken bones

Postby bricheno » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:00 pm

Anyone else seen an Atos doc and had their falls dismissed as nothing just because you've not had any broken bones or stitches etc. ?

I've had numerous falls and injuries but my award letter states I am not at risk of falling - my last one was while I was attempting to carry two small side plates and a few items of cutlery to put in the cupboard. I fell as my knee is prone to giving way (from a previous fall on my parents stairs may I add) and managed to cut my head on a knife in my right hand - it wasn't too deep and we managed to stop the bleed ourselves so didn't go to the hospital. Bit of a shame it wasn't worse as they might actually start to believe me, but it's a farce when you have to have more 'serious' injuries for them to take you seriously.

My husband is not impressed as he sees how it affects me and how flippant they've been on the award letter (or should that be lack of award letter!) He is also very worried and the recent one could've been really nasty had the knife gone any deeper or into my eye etc.... I keep telling him it's ok but you can't help but worry too. It puts you off doing anything !
bricheno
UKFM Member

Re: DLA & Atos - Stitches n broken bones

Postby denys » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:07 pm

I think part of the answer is to go to the A&E dept when you have an injury such as you had then it is recorded and then it cant be dismissed, small falls and trips with no injuries you cant do much about but those where you have injuries have got to help show you are at risk :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby bricheno » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:37 pm

My hubbie rang and spoke to our Practice Nurse and had a good long discussion with her - she has added the fall to my notes and said she will keep a full record of them and to keep her informed.

I think he wants to buy me a Michelin man suit to protect me :lol:
bricheno
UKFM Member

Postby linoak90 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:59 pm

Hi all I broke my ribs and breast bone when I passed out and landed on the back of a stool. They still said in the refusal letter that although i prefer to have some one with me Im not at risk from blackouts or fainting as I can take nessecary precautions to prevent injury lol how does that make any sense. What I would prefer is a normal life where I dont have to rely on others.
Sorry I always end up having a moan when I post a reply.

Lin. X
linoak90
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits