Disabilties and....ahem.....sexual ability

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Disabilties and....ahem.....sexual ability

Postby darkcyde » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:39 pm

Sticky topic this one! ;-)

Everyone knows that certain medications, or combinations of medications can effect sexual performance.

Now, if someone were to have to stay on these medications where would that stand with in terms of applying for things like DLA, etc

DLA is supposed to help support that persons quality of life, so if someone cannot.....perform.....their quality of life will be lower, and that of their partners too.

Thoughts anyone?
Last edited by darkcyde on Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diagnosed : ME/FM, CFS,CPS, IBS, ADHD : Medications : Mirtazapine 45mg, Paracetamol 4gram a day, Omeprazole 40mg, Dompperidone 30mg, Morphine (tabs) 120mg, Morphine (liquid) 100mg twice a day
darkcyde
UKFM Member

Re: DLA and....ahem.....sexual ability

Postby adelesmith » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:45 pm

I really hope this post is a joke, esp with all the issues surrounding dla n pip at moment
adelesmith
UKFM Member

Re: DLA and....ahem.....sexual ability

Postby darkcyde » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:04 pm

Ermm.....no, it wasn't actually!

Why do you think it's a joke??
Diagnosed : ME/FM, CFS,CPS, IBS, ADHD : Medications : Mirtazapine 45mg, Paracetamol 4gram a day, Omeprazole 40mg, Dompperidone 30mg, Morphine (tabs) 120mg, Morphine (liquid) 100mg twice a day
darkcyde
UKFM Member

Re: Disabilties and....ahem.....sexual ability

Postby adelesmith » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:16 pm

because the last time i looked not being able to have sex was not a disability, ok i agree it can affect you n your parnters quality of life, but why do u think that entitles u to a disability benefit!! DLA is meant to help with mobility and care, so what exactly would u use the money for, I'm sorry if I am sounding harsh but a lot of people who need DLA are loosing it, and a lot of ppl will lose the mobility rate when PIP comes in, I for one will lose it and i am virtually house bound now and it will get worse when i lose my free travel n mobility money,
adelesmith
UKFM Member

Postby HPB123 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:29 pm

I don't know where you stand with DLA but I know that when compensation is awarded for e.g in court after an injury, loss of sexual function/ability is one of the highest types of payout which I think proves that it is considered to be an important part of peoples lives and should be taken into account. I empathise with you and agree that this must affect your life and your partners and I don't see why anyone would consider your post a joke.
HPB123
UKFM Newbie

Postby rowan » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:58 pm

Getting compensation in a court for an accident and getting DLA to help with mobility and care costs are 2 completely different things and can't be compared.
Last edited by rowan on Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rowan
UKFM Newbie

Postby darkcyde » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:10 pm

adelesmith - I'm sorry if I've hit a raw nerve here, but this is simply a hypothetical question....I'm not demanding benefits because I can't have sex! I too am ill, like you....I am almost 100% housebound and right now I do not receive any benefits whatsoever....absolutely nothing....I am Zero Income, and my wife only works part time in a low paid job, so please don't jump at me for asking a question.....we are all feeling the strain of DLA and PIPs and should all stand together. If you are housebound, why will you loose your benefit completely? I'm not pointing a finger, am just asking out of interest in learning about other peoples situations.

As HPB12 stated, sexual health and quality of life is something that is taken very seriously in other situations, so why not for the disabled! I am heavily medicated with morphine and there looks like no end to it....without going into huge detail, I'm sure my wife is feeling the effects of this herself! And this is because of my disability.

Again, I'm not standing up demanding to be paid because I can't have sex.....I'm just simply asking why can it not be considered as a part of any claims.
darkcyde
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:50 pm

This isnt really a question for here, I cannot recall any part of the form for DLA asking about sexual function. Though there is a part for any further information and impact of your condition on quality of life, so if you feel that lack of or inability regarding sexual matters impacts negatively on your life then record it and see if it is taken into account.
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby adelesmith » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:23 pm

the reason i will loose benefit is because under the new rules pain when moving is not taken in to account if u can move u lose.

I do sympathise with your situation as my married life is demished due to my condition, but as i said dla is for care and mobility and if u r so badly off physically n financialy why not claim ?

I just think with the attitude in this country at the moment to the disabled your question will cause some ppl to look at it n just give them another stick too beat us with, i'm sick of defending myself even my own family consider me lazy n wont accept my condition.
adelesmith
UKFM Member

Postby HPB123 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:28 pm

Why isn't it a question for here?? Surely we should all be free to ask each others opinions on any area of our lives and our fibro. Isn't that the whole point of a support forum like this?? He's not asking for facts but opinions on wether we think it should be considered. Ee cant help it if anyone is uncomfortable with the topic, but no-one is forced to comment or debate it !!??!!
HPB123
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:22 pm

I have said it isnt a question for here not that it isnt a question for the forum if darkcyde wants to claim for loss of sexual function that is his right and if it is discounted then its up to him to appeal.

This board is about legal matters, DWP working and benefits. Not whether we think we are able to use our private and personal problems to claim benefits.

I'm not uncomfortable with the topic, I have been married for 32 years and know as much about the subject as I want to. I have every member to think about not just 1 or 2 so my point is whether or not I delete the topic, leave it were it is or move it to somewhere I feel is more suitable some opinions break forum rules and that is all I am concerned about :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby HPB123 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:38 pm

Well you may call it a personal or private problem but I think it's part and parcel of the wider disability that is Fibromyalgia, we're not just talking about side effects of meds, but being unable due to pain to take part in this area of our lives, and then of course wether we feel that the DWP and DlA should or should not take it into account. I still think his question is valid and as he's asking in reference to DWP/DLA it's in the right place. This chap has been brave enough to talk about something very personal, that may actually affect a lot of
People on here and the first thing that happened was someone ridiculing him for asking a question, that in my opinion was totally unfair.
HPB123
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:46 pm

Have you introduced yourself to the forum HBP123?? It is a common courtesy to do so. Do you have FM, or are waiting for a dx, or are associated to someone with FM?? Only asking as you have dived straight into a topic and made what could be construed as provocative comments with your first posts, behaviour that some may consider troll~like or flaming.

No~one has disputed that the intimate side of our relationships are affected by FM. Nor has it been disputed that it is a suitable subject for the forum. As Denys has already said, things needed to be looked at as a whole where posts are concerned, from the whole forum thru to all the members who use it. People are free to ask the opinions of others on matters, however forum rules do need to be kept. Maybe yiu would like to familiarise yourself with them so that you can be confident that your comments cannot be misunderstood or misconstrued. This linky will take you to them viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12383

A suggestion has been made to OP as to what he could do to see if his idea is feasible or not. It is up to OP whether he decides to see if his hypothesis can be proved or not.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby HPB123 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:18 pm

Yes I am new on here, yes I do have fibromyalgia. I am 32 in 5 days, I am female, married, and a mother. What more would
you like to know about me?? A common courtesy you say!? What about the common courtesy to the guy who asked this question, and was immediately asked if it was a joke!?!
HPB123
UKFM Newbie

Postby HPB123 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:22 pm

Also, I believe, under your very own rules, the trolling a flaming you accuse me of, are in fact the very thing the people who are ridiculing this chap are doing..... Just food for thought, !?!?
HPB123
UKFM Newbie

Next

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits