ATOS ESA Medical tomorrow....

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

ATOS ESA Medical tomorrow....

Postby darkcyde » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:51 am

...and am absolutely wound up so tight about it!

They are coming to me eventhough i didnt even request a home visit which is good i think, but its making me feel very exposed....to make things worse i think im heading into a bad flare up....will be good for doc to see what that is like, but if he is a waste of space i dont know if i will be able to hold my tongue, given that ive just had a psychotic episode too!!

My wife and i are going to write a statement, along the lines of my original applicatiom form, the 5 page letter i wrote them tearing their first rejection to pieces, and all the letters we have written since updating them with my downward spiraling health.

i know from the ATOS manual they are duty bound to read everything given to tbem, but im hoping he just includes the statement with his report, that way i know everything is being given to the Decision Maker.
Diagnosed : ME/FM, CFS,CPS, IBS, ADHD : Medications : Mirtazapine 45mg, Paracetamol 4gram a day, Omeprazole 40mg, Dompperidone 30mg, Morphine (tabs) 120mg, Morphine (liquid) 100mg twice a day
darkcyde
UKFM Member

Re: ATOS ESA Medical tomorrow....

Postby *Lisa* » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:34 am

I would firstly read up and research the net on ATOS home visits to give you some tips & hints as i know in some cases they pick things out to challenge you on, just the same as if we go there.

Make sure your wife is with you at all times if possible so she can support you and also note down what the doctor says & does.

Mention your recent episode and how your feeling now and to be very open with your feelings and thoughts when you get to that breaking point.

They need to see a whole round consistant picture of your health.

I would be laying in your bed when they come, i wouldnt sit up in the bed i would lay with head propped up (just an idea)

I hope it goes well for you :goodluck1: :hugs:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby denys » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:44 pm

:goodluck1: Darkcyde, hope things go well for you :fingerscrossed:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby darkcyde » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:46 pm

we've written the statement which has ended up just short of 5 pages long, and i have a digital dictaphone that i can use to record the session, or i could even video it easily enough and make a dvd for future reference.....but i dont want to get the doctors back up to start with, otherwise he could be blase about it....swings and roundabouts really.

ive had advice that its my right to refuse to do anything he asks of me as im not here to perform for him....if doing something that will cause pain, why should i be forced to do it.

im not sure about being in bed for when he arrives....im sure that would get my point across more, but thats not a standard day for me so would feel a bit fraudulent i guess. i think i may just be on the recliner with pillow and blanket, which is where i do sleep sometimes when i cant get upstairs, and i have informed them of this and included that in my statement.

i understand that he is duty bound to read everything i provide him with, yes?
Diagnosed : ME/FM, CFS,CPS, IBS, ADHD : Medications : Mirtazapine 45mg, Paracetamol 4gram a day, Omeprazole 40mg, Dompperidone 30mg, Morphine (tabs) 120mg, Morphine (liquid) 100mg twice a day
darkcyde
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:52 pm

I think so yes, the recliner sounds fair enough, I think the doc may walk out if you try to video it :dunno: :dunno: just go with the flow, try not to appear defensive (easier said than done I know) its another step towards you getting the benefits you deserve and need :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby darkcyde » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:32 pm

Hi all

Well, had the home medical this morning. It turns out I was confused and this was for DLA, not ESA like I thought....so god knows whats going on with ESA as its been months and not heard a thing on that front!

Anyway, doc arrived on time and was shown in by my wife to where I was sitting in lounge....nice chap, and local(ish) too.....as he asked me questions and wrote everything down, he read it back to me.....to make sure its accurate and everything you want and need on there is correct ,he said.

He asked me to lay on the sofa, offered help if necessary, touched a couple of pressure points and saw my reaction and said I don't need to manipulate you more to see your in pain....asked me to walk up and down a bit, and that was it really.

He scored me 2 for upper body and 3 for lower body on their mobility section on a scale of 1 to 4, 1 being no problems, 2 slight, 3 severe, and 4 no mobility.

Said I was on an extreme amount of painkillers which no one could be expected to function properly on.

He was here for about an hour and a half, said he would do everything he could for me as he could but ultimately he doesn't make the decisions.

Overall, a fairly pleasant although exhausting experience.....I was still guarded, as afterall he works for a company that is in the business of not paying out benefits....so pinch of salt with all his concern.

I will let you know the outcome!
darkcyde
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits