Universal Credit info

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Universal Credit info

Postby BlueBerry » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:16 pm

Hey all

Guess what I got in the mail today a leaflet about the changes in benefits

I am little bit worried but reading it not to bad but this bit was bit worrying

"Those claiming Universal Credit will receive one single monthly payment, paid directly to them and including help with housing costs."

I am so use to get every two weeks .

this from Sunderland council where I am from, hope no one mind me put this up thought everyone need to know about this

Introduction of Universal Credit
October 2013 to 2017 - proposed introduction of a Universal Credit to simplify the benefits system. It is intended that the Universal Credit will bring together a number of current means tested working age benefits and tax credits into one single benefit.

These benefits include:

Child Tax Credit
Housing Costs - previously met through Housing Benefit
Income Based Employment and Support Allowance
Income Based Jobseeker's Allowance
Income Support
Social Fund Budgeting Loans
Working Tax Credit

It is also intended that the majority of people will manage their Universal Credit claims and any changes online.

The Government had also indicated that no one would be made worse off ' at the time they move over to Universal Credit. This means that their income should be protected at least initially when they transfer.

It is proposed that Universal Credit payments will be reduced by 65p for every £1 of income that you have above what the government says they need to live on. This amount varies according to your circumstances (for example, whether they are single or part of a couple, have caring responsibilities or are incapable of work) It is also proposed that single claimants will not be able to receive additional allowances both for being incapable of work (called a limited capability for work element) and also for being a carer (called the carer element). Couples may still be able to receive both elements where they each qualify for a different allowance

The Government has also confirmed that benefits that are paid based on national insurance contributions will continue, but will be brought together within the Universal Credit Framework- so some of their rules and regulations may be changed to enable this adjustment. More details about what will happen are not yet available.

Universal Credit will have a phased transition which will mean that some claimants continue to receive some of their existing benefits until 2017. The Government has proposed the following:

March 2013 - Universal Credit is piloted prior to being rolled out
Between October 2013 and April 2014 - 500,000 new claimants will receive Universal Credit in place of Jobseeker's Allowance, Employment Support Allowance, Housing Benefit, Working Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit
At the same time a further 500,000 existing claimants (and their partners and dependants) will also move on to Universal Credit as and when their circumstances change significantly, such as when they find work or when a child is born
From April 2014 - a second phase of transfers will begin. It is likely that the first people to move across will be households that will benefit most from this change. However, it is not really clear at this stage who will transfer and how this will be managed. This group is likely to include people receiving Working Tax Credit who could work more hours with the support that Universal Credit will bring. It has been estimated that 3.5 million existing claimants (and their partners and dependents) will be transferred onto Universal Credit during this phase The final phase, which begins at the end of 2015 and runs through to the end of 2017, will see around 3 million households being transferred to Universal Credit

NB Working Age means in practice where the benefit claimant or their partner are not old enough to have reached the qualifying age to claim State Pension Credit , but this is worked out on a sliding scale depending on the persons age. By October 2013 this qualifying age will be 61 years and 10 months but is rising to 65 by 2018.
Image Pingo is my middle name :lol:
BlueBerry
UKFM Member

Re: Universal Credit info

Postby Treece » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:56 pm

Thank you for this information, it answers some questions and makes others rise... I know the local RSL is concerned about rent being paid to people directly as people struggle to make ends meet it will be too tempting to use rent money to buy food, pay bills etc (how bad is that to have as a concern... obviously if people cant make ends meet then the rate needs to be put up for these benefits)
Treece
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:34 pm

Thanks Blueberry :-D :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby *Lisa* » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:24 pm

Im dreading all this new benefits changes ! the UC & P.I.P

I dont trust the government at all! they say we wont be worse off but there not gonna say we will are they! :-? otherwise there will be up roar before its even started. They woudn't spend millions on revamping the system to benefit us :?: there already cutting single persons money by 50 quid a week when this comes in so yes there will be thousands 200 pound plus worse off ! :evil:

The P.I.P has already said to get the enhanced mobility you have to be wheelchair bound and even tho people on high rate at the moment can get the higher rate DLA by pain & discomfort in walking 50metres & under or needs assistants these will be scrapped! :evil:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby *Lisa* » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:35 pm

Some of the universal credit loosers :evil: :evil: :evil:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/ ... led-people
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits