Work Related Activity Group?

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Work Related Activity Group?

Postby NellyB » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:35 pm

Can anyone advise me on what it means to have been placed in this group?
I have had FM for years and receive DLA. I don't know how anyone can be expected to work when they never know from one hour to the next if their body/brain is going to function, and pushing yourself only results in it getting more severe. We all understand this, but I am so tired I cannot work out what to do!
:sleep:
NellyB
UKFM Newbie

Re: Work Related Activity Group?

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:45 pm

This means you will undergo interviews at your local job centre regularly to see if they can help you back into work with your limited capabilities.

In my case i have only ever been seen the once, was there 10mins and told to go home as even before she had finished down my ever growing list she could clearly see i was not fit for work.

In alot of cases its more of an option rather then being forced back into work. They have a number of resources for people with disabilties to help get them back into work also courses and work placements.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby NellyB » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:54 pm

Thanks Lisa, I shall have to hope I get an understanding interviewer then!
NellyB
UKFM Newbie

Postby tashnella » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:13 pm

Hi
I am a fb sufferer too, everything ie aches,pains etc are put under the fb title. I am seeing a psychologist for cognitive behaviour
Therapy. I have had hydro, accipuncture, injections but didn't get any relief. The pain clinic gave me tramadol and that's I!!!
My appointment is on 14th aug for work related activities, this in itself is a joke as I am unable to venture out alone, my mum (83)
Comes with me. What will happen at this interview? Any comments?
Thank you sorry to moan this condition is so debilitating, it's getting me down now.
P xx
tashnella
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:32 pm

The interview is to see how they can support you into getting back into work, so many of the questions is related to your symptoms and what you can do rather then what you cannot and with that they can work around a way to get you back into employement.

They will ask when you last worked, how many hours, what profession. Ask about your conditions and symptoms. See if you want help in looking for work or if you feel you want to try a course.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby fliss » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:49 pm

u need to appeal this,i am appealing a dla claim as they say i am not disabled enough to qualify,yet esa hav put me in support group as the lady doc said i cudnt be expected to work ever due to my symptoms and being in a wheelchair and needin an assistant to push me xxx
fliss
UKFM Member

Postby angellookingdown » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:48 pm

I have FM. Ostioarthritis & Osteopenia,just been for a interview at the job centre.I am in the work related activity group. 1 have been ask to do a maths or english on line course.I have just looked at the website and I have to be able to do 2 and half hours per week on it.I had a rotatore cuff & tear repair operation on my shoulder 10 weeks ago. I have to have physio for months. I have been told I can not drive due to strength in my shoulder and arm for at least another three weeks.It could take a year for my shoulder to be normal.
I have constant pain down my right arm from my shoulder.I find it hard to use my netbook for more than 15mins per day due to pain. The lady at the job centre said the goverment expect me to be back in work within two years.Because by then I will be well enough.how can they say that?
I cried at the job centre because she wanted to know my last job and why I left.I had a good job which i enjoyed and it was fexi hours but i had to leave it to care for my partner 24-7 who had cancer and it had gone to his brain. Sadley he passed away 4 months after in feb 2009
I became very ill my self not knowing what was wrong with me had various test.I have had irritable bowel for about 10 years my glands have felt swollen for about 6 years with costant pain in my ears causing dizzyness.burning pain in my right foot for 6 years.severe pain in my knees for 10 years.
Anyway after test I got told that my spine,from my neck down & my hips the bone was thinning which is Osteopenia and I have Osteoathritis in my knees.After more test to rule out other things because my pain was so severe everywhwere. I got told I had Fibromyalgia about 18 months ago.
I just do not know what to do about this online training because when I go online and click the test to do the course it comes up & says i should go to a centre to do it.I can not go to a centre because I can not drive there or work on a pc for long because of my
shoulder or how I might feel each day can be different. I now feel so upset about it all and can not stop crying. I do not need to go back to job cente for another three months but I am so worried.
angellookingdown
UKFM Newbie

Postby *Lisa* » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:44 pm

Please dont get upset :hugs: makes me mad the pressure from the goverment for people to get back into courses/work when there are unable :evil:

Contact the job centre and explain your difficaulties. You could opt out and say your unfit for this? and explain why. They shouldnt force people into doing things they cannot.

good luck
*Lisa*

Postby shazq » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:49 pm

Hi anglelookingdown

:evil: Did you appeal about being put into the work group? if not you should.
If they expect you to start this course before your shoulder is better you could get a sick note from your Gp explaining you are unfit to work. :goodluck1:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby angellookingdown » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:24 pm

Thank you so much for your replies. I am going to wait till I see my physio and tell her about it all and see what she has to say about it.I might be able to get a letter off her. I have not appeal but before all this I wrote to them and ask them to look at my case again and sent information about my operation. I also asked them to get back to me about why I was placed in that group,but that was a couple of months ago and I have not heard anything from them.
The lady I saw at the job centre for my interview did not know what fibromyalgia was.She also said all I had down on my notes was that I had ostoarthrites.I am going to try not to worry about it now why should I let her upset me. When I go again to see her I am going to take her information about fibromyalgia and my other problems.
angellookingdown
UKFM Newbie

Postby cherrybee » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:30 pm

Good luck Angel, hope everything works out for
you, try not to worry to much :hugs:
cherrybee
UKFM Member

Postby angellookingdown » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:31 pm

I got told I could drive again on Thursday after about 4 months of not driving after my op.
I have started trying to do the maths online course but its really getting me down.
I feel so thick and my brain won't work .

To top it all after being put in the work related avtivity group and told that they would asses me again in 2014.
On Tuesaday when i was trying to do the maths I got a letter I have to go for another medical now on 16th September.
I just cried when I saw it and started shaking.I feel sick inside worrying about it ,I can not stop crying.and my pain is more severe than ever.
If I get told that I have to go on job seekers then I will have to sell my house because I know and can not hold a job.

I just feel that my life is getting worse and I do not know what to do to help myself.No one can help me and take away my pain
I am single I have been single and I feel I have no one to turn to.I have my children but I do not like to upset them. I have no friends I lost them after my partner passed away.

I can not talk to my Mum because she is ill with a tumor and other problems and my step Dad is dying of cancer.
I am going on holiday with my children on the 24th September but worried and hoping that my stepdad will still be alive when I get back.
I need this holiday I have not been away since my partner passed away plus I just wont to go and hope I can forget about my life here.
angellookingdown
UKFM Newbie

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits