''This man is a.......................'':(

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

''This man is a.......................'':(

Postby tazzajay 1 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:56 pm

Removed this as i can see it was upsetting people
Last edited by tazzajay 1 on Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Judge not unless you judge yourself"
tazzajay 1
UKFM Member

Re: ''This man is a.......................'':(

Postby paulyarwooduk » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:31 pm

Although I don't agree with this man I don't completely disagree with him either. I'm sure there are some disabled people that are capable of working but instead decide not to bother and claim benefits instead. The same is said for able-bodied people also.

The thing he fails to understand, which I find that most people do, is that not all disabled people are in the same category. For example, a few years ago I worked with a wheelchair user who was very happy and quite capable of wheeling around the office in his wheelchair. He was paralysed from the waist down but managed perfectly well even though he could have chosen to remain on benefits all of his life.

I have Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, ME and Rheumatoid Arthritis and I'm only in my early thirties; I spend every second of every day in chronic pain and severe exhaustion AND I still work full-time...but only because I can't afford not to. My mother on the other hand is so much worse than me that she hasn't been able to work for the past 25 years. She tried once but she was off sick more than in work with agonising pain. I think the vast majority of 'disabled people' probably can't work.

I would dearly love to see this Politician working full-time with only one of my ailments and then still hold the same opinion :evil:
paulyarwooduk
UKFM Member

Postby darkcyde » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:52 pm

“The lesson for scroungers is that if you’re fit enough to propel yourself around in a modified go-kart relying solely on the power of your upper arms, then you’re well enough to retrain as a plumber.” he added

Well, I used to be a Plumber/Heating Engineer and there is NO WAY that someone in a wheelchair could crawl in someones overly stuffed understairs cupboard to get access to the gas meter, or climb into a overloaded loft to fit a ball valve that's letting by.....I struggled before I was ill doing that kind of stuff, let alone now or someone who is 100% wheelchair bound!

This guy has no idea about what goes on in the real world.....he should get back to fiddling his expenses, and giving backhanders for building permission for a new swimming pool at his 2nd home at our expense!
Diagnosed : ME/FM, CFS,CPS, IBS, ADHD : Medications : Mirtazapine 45mg, Paracetamol 4gram a day, Omeprazole 40mg, Dompperidone 30mg, Morphine (tabs) 120mg, Morphine (liquid) 100mg twice a day
darkcyde
UKFM Member

Postby Andrew_Z » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:11 am

Bottom line is that employment is up to an employer, not the applicant. I don't see evidence of many, or even any employers frantically phoning the job centre to specifically recruit disabled people.
Andrew_Z
UKFM Member

Postby CottonSocks » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:46 am

Guys, this is a spoof XD
CottonSocks
UKFM Member

Postby Andrew_Z » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:11 am

I'm writing to my MP to complain.
Andrew_Z
UKFM Member

Postby TeeferTiger » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:18 pm

You guys do realise that this is a spoof newspaper, don't you?
TeeferTiger
UKFM Member

Postby Andrew_Z » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:37 pm

SO IT'S A JOKE, WELL THAT'S OKAY THEN, BECAUSE LAST NIGHT IT SO FRIGHTENED ME I WAS GOING TO TAKE A BLOODY OVERDOSE!!!

HA HA f****** HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Andrew_Z
UKFM Member

Postby paulyarwooduk » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:19 pm

Hi TeeferTiger,

Well as you can see...spoof news article or not, this topic isn't something that should be joked about, not even lightly. I can only speak for myself but sometimes I act as though I am really thick. I'm really not but fibro has taken such a hold on me that I don't notice things like this as being a spoof, or a joke. It gets me so worried that I'm stressing out and then I go in to even more pain than I'm in already. Now that you've actually pointed it out I can see it...but that doesn't make it right...surely? Maybe I'm just too uptight...
paulyarwooduk
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:19 pm

This topic is obviously upsetting some people, if I'm right please let me or any of the other mods know and we will take it down
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Andrew_Z » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:13 pm

I'm sorry for blowing my top. I do not find benefits jokes funny as I am trying to put through a very difficult claim. Please do not post any more benefit spoofs. It ISN'T funny. I'm not angry with the person who posted it, I'm angry with that politician, because it's just exactly what he would do! :cry:
Andrew_Z
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:34 pm

Its not the original poster Andrew, they didnt realise it was a spoof either and just like you thought it was for real. Unfortunately there are a lot of people out there who do find this sort of thing funny and I would imagine the majority neither know or care how it makes us feel.

Maybe write to your MP explaining how these things are affecting people and how they make others see the disabled and those suffering chronic conditions such as ours in a bad light who knows maybe someone will start to listen :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Andrew_Z » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:06 am

I suppose it's just the sort of mistake anyone could have posted. There's no indication at its' origin that it was a spoof. I've calmed down now and hope it doesn't put off the poster...I'm just glad it's not true - for the moment.
Andrew_Z
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:11 am

Glad to know you are calmer now, we are all in the same boat so its not nice to turn on each other
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits