Contribution based ESA and free NHS treatment

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Contribution based ESA and free NHS treatment

Postby Ria Landon » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:11 am

I am in receipt of contribution based ESA (since November 2011) but have just discovered that I may not be entitled to free prescriptions. This doesn't make sense to me becsuse as far as I know the Income related ESA nd contribution based ESA benefits are the same. So why shouldn't the other benefits be the same? Contribution based ESA is awarded because you have been working so it would seem that we are being penalised for working! I have 8 items per month on my prescription and I know I can pay a £30 monthly fee for unlimited prescriptions but I really cannot even afford that at the minute. Because it has taken them so long to sort my claim, I have accrued council tax and rent arrears so having to pay those arrears off each month.

Just to confuse things, when I was working I was receiving the disablity element of working tax credits. This did entitle me to free NHS treatment and they would send me an entitlement card each year. In April they sent me a new one which covers me until April 2013 but I am no longer recieving working tax credits as from June 2012. They knew this well in advance and before they sent the new entitlement card. Now I'm wondering if I can use this card? It would make sense to me that I should be entitled to free NHS and this is the way they cover it.

Gosh, its so confusing isn't it.

i would be really grateful if anyone could advise on this

Thanks

Ria
Ria Landon
UKFM Member

Re: Contribution based ESA and free NHS treatment

Postby jllh03 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:33 am

It's £10.40per month unlimited meds
jllh03
UKFM Member

Postby TeeferTiger » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:51 am

I live in Wales and therefore get free prescriptions, but I know that if you're on CB rather than IR you get pretty much bagger all else support. They put me on contributions based when I was off work on the sick, and now I can't get IR because I'm married. Not that I'm getting anything at all since they stopped it at the end of April, but that's not the point...
TeeferTiger
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:10 am

As far as i am aware any one on contributions based ESA alone (not on CTC etc) must pay for all perscriptions and further more im not to sure if this extends to optitions/dentist etc. Also may even effect any housing benefit/council tax :?:

You are better off on income related ESA :crazy:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:14 am

This all so messy and confusing for everyone, trying to find out what we are or are not entitled to :pull-hair: :pull-hair: :pull-hair:

From originally claiming IB way back in 2000, I have only been entitled to the contributions based benefit. And because of that I have also always been told that's basically it, there's no eligibility for free prescriptions, eye tests, dental treatment etc. When I was moved over to ESA(c) I was told exactly the same again and that the best way to help reduce my prescription costs was to buy a prepayment certificate, which has been an absolute godsend for me wrt prescription costs. I have 8 items on repeat, 2 of which need refilling every 2 weeks, so effectively 10 items every 4 weeks(ish). Paying full price would put us under unnecessary financial pressure over a year, meaning OH would be working over time to pay for my meds :facepalm: :facepalm: Here's a linky about PPC Ria. The £29.10 one covers you for your prescriptions for 3 months, and the 12 month one costs £104 and can be paid for over 10 months at £10.40 per month http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/1127.aspx

When we received child tax credit and working tax credit we had an exemption card for medical costs, but when the working tax credit stopped, the card was immediately cancelled. I think you should check to see if your card is still valid before you try to use it as, if it is no longer valid, you could find yourself in a potentially :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: moment
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Ria Landon » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:34 am

Ok I've sorted it!

Scrolling through the NHS entitlement leaflet online (link below) and worked out that I didnt fit into criteria for free NHS treatment. But it did say I could apply for help with costs because on low income and needed to phone for a HC1 form.

lady was really helpful and said I could still use my tax credit exemption certificate because the entitlement was based on my income from 2011-2012. Asked if she was a 100% sure and she laughed and said yes it was definately still valid. Phew, thats a relief :-D

On this basis is it right that yours should have been cancelled fluffypuppy? Depends why the working tax credits stoped I suppose. Sorry to confuse things, you and I do tend to get conflicting information don't we!!

I do hope this hasn't confused anyone.

More info
NHS leaflet http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcost ... 1Nov09.pdf
helpline: 084561011121

Thanks to all for your help
Ria Landon
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits