Confused re ESA benefits whos telling me the truth

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Confused re ESA benefits whos telling me the truth

Postby JimS » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:30 pm

Hi guys

I received the dreaded brown envelope and find that I have been placed in the Work related activities group.
Also that my incapacity benefit is changing to contribution based esa which can be paid for a maximum of 365 days.

On the page which shows how the benefit is worked out it shows the following

Your living expenses £71
limited capiability for work addition £28.15
A top up payment of £5.90

Which brings it up to the same amount I was on on incapacity benefit.

Underneath this though it says the amounts on the page apply from the 21 Aug 2012 to 28th of Nov 2012.

I got in touch with the welfare rights officer at the CAB who has been a great help all the way through my atos medicals etc.
She said that it meant I was only going to be paid benefits upuntil the 28th of Nov and from that date I would get nothing as my wife works so I wouldn't be eligble to claim any other benefits.
Unless of course I can get put in to a support group and my benefits would contine.

As you can imagine I wasn't to happy at this news as we rely on my benefits as a vital part of the household income.

I then phoned jobcentreplus to ask them about the letter and why my benefits would be stopping on the 28th of Nov.
I was told that my benefits wouldn't be stopped but that I would lose the £5.90 top up.

I got in touch with WRO again and she said that it doesn't sound like the way it normally works.

So can any one tell me whos telling me the truth.

As I am totally confused.

Cheers Jim
JimS
UKFM Member

Re: Confused re ESA benefits whos telling me the truth

Postby babajane32 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:50 pm

Hi, very confusing....i suggest that maybe you request the dwp put a more comprehnsive explination in writting...my own more recent experiances of both parties(highly unsuccessfull) have made me think that unless you get a spot on,know it inside out helper from CAB,they actually know not that much and alsmost all the advice given to me has turned out to be disasterous and detramental under the new scheme of things, which is a huge concern and worry as they've always been such a usefull and well informed service...i also have found that the dwp helpline staff are little more than contracted sheet reading agency workers that have given me hugely innacurate and outright wrong information and even written letters recived have contained wrong information....really worrying when the powers that be who dish out the dosh don't have clue whats what!..sorry i dont sounds more posative, and there are people both sides who do know what they're doing and can get it absolutely right..the problem is it seams only time tells which you get :( ...and even the tribuneral service has done little but mis-inform and not folloow their own rules :/
I'm about to do battle again with DWP...can't even find help to fill in the forms..been at them for 3 weeks and getting nowhere fast !" ..my conclusion is we're being hung out to dry on the whole with the government making as much confusion as possible to silence us.....hmm,maybe the paranoia is setting in...
If you find a specific person at any place that you know has proved seriously helpfull to someone else, aim for them :)
babajane32
UKFM Member

Postby crazycat36 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:05 pm

yesterday i got a letter saying i need to re submit for esa unable to work even though i only did the original form last yr and was accepted last yr without any problems so much so i couldnt believe how easy i got onto it, so im sitting here today and thought id fill out the form as last yr it took 2 full days to complete and with the help of a neighbour, well i got as far as filling in my name and address and then i got stuck so looks like im going to hav to go and ask the same neighbour if shed b good enough to help me again as this yr im even more confused than what i was last yr so its going to b a few very long days to get this stupid form filled in AGAIN and at the bk of my mind will b the fact that next yr ill hav to do the same stupid form yet again even though last yr when i filled it in i was told that they will b reviewing it every few yrs and NOT every yr....im so stressed with this form sitting waiting to b done and then ive got just over a week to finish getting school stuff in for my 3 kids to go bk to school and my eldest to start college so could really do fine without this extra nonsence expecially as at the end of last yr my DLA was increased to middle rate care after i filled out there form can the different departments not comunicate with each other to save disabled people from going through all this when we already hav illnesses to contend with, the goverment need to sort this out it just wastes time and money all over the place for both the agencies and ourselves
crazycat36
UKFM Member

Postby babajane32 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:37 pm

Wnet to a freinds for some help/advice..she photo copies all forms once she's filled them in for future fill ins...definately a good idea :-D
babajane32
UKFM Member

Postby JimS » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:53 pm

I was unable to fill the forms in myself complete mental blank over them.
I found the welfare rights officer at the CAB very helpful.
She filled in my forms for me and we conversed via email until she had written everything to my satisfaction section by section.
JimS
UKFM Member

Postby Jo43 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:14 pm

I filled out my DWP form and got it back without having to go for another assessment with continuation of my higher rate mobility and lower rate care allowance until 2017. At the same time I was filling out the DWP form I got the ESA form to complete too. Took me about a month to complete the two of them. Would be helpful to people who are ill to have one form to complete!!!!!! :evil: Was surprised to get the ESA form though as I'd only gone through it all in Feb. It would seem I'm on a 6 monthly review according to the Job Centre lady who I went to see who was lovely, she told me they should have informed me I was on a 6 monthly review, also told me she couldn't believe I was only getting lower rate care and diagnosed me with FM. At this point I hadn't had a diagnosis but went to Pain Clinic shortly after and they told me it was FM without me mentioning it first. They diagnosed Arthritis in spine however I was so overjoyed to get a diagnosis after 6 yrs that I didn't follow it up and ask what type of Arthritis and what could be done for it though, doh!!!! Anyway back to ESA. Not heard from them so don't know if still in Work Related Group or where I am, so got to wait to find out. What a caffuffle!!!!! :crazy: :roll: :crazy:
Jo43
UKFM Member

Postby Darkeyes40 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:14 pm

Hi everyone I'm new on here. I've have received a letter this morning saying that my ESA will stop on the 5th October because I can only be on it for 365 days,surprisingly my appeal is no were in sight. My husband is on ESA also. They are telling mei may still be able to get ESA if I don't have enough money coming in. It also goes on to if I want to be assessed for ESA I can be, is this at atos?
Any help on this matter would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Darkeyes 40
Darkeyes40
UKFM Newbie

Postby BlueBerry » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:56 pm

Darkeyes40 wrote:Hi everyone I'm new on here. I've have received a letter this morning saying that my ESA will stop on the 5th October because I can only be on it for 365 days,surprisingly my appeal is no were in sight. My husband is on ESA also. They are telling mei may still be able to get ESA if I don't have enough money coming in. It also goes on to if I want to be assessed for ESA I can be, is this at atos?
Any help on this matter would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Darkeyes 40

Esa Assessment which may well be what i am going thought second time is WCA Work Capability Assessmen will be atos Health care.
here some links help you with work out what esa is it bit esa go thought.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxcreditsAndOthersupport/IllorInjured/DG_171894
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/Illorinjured/DG_172012

good luck with them i hope yo don't have many problems if you need help with forms est go to CAB, Welfare rights.
Image Pingo is my middle name :lol:
BlueBerry
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits