[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - do i need to inform employer?

do i need to inform employer?

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

do i need to inform employer?

Postby maria31 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:33 pm

I have recently been diagnosed with FM, and know very little about the condition, and any rules that follow it. I work as a lone science technician in a school, working with dangerous chemicals, on my feet all day, and with plenty of heavy lifting. I am finding the job very difficult, and am in alot of pain. My main concern though, is the danger factor. Unless you can concentrate fully (which is a big struggle now), a mistake could cause an accident to myself, students or staff. Its beginning to dawn on me that, I ought to tell my boss (I don't want to damage anyone!), but I am scared of the outcome. We are just about managing to pay the bills with 2 incomes, but if my boss decided that I wasn't safe to work, I could end up jobless & we wouldn't be able to afford to live. I am looking for a safer job at the minute, but I am struggling to find anything else I am qualified for. Does anyone out there have any advice for me? Thankyou
maria31
UKFM Newbie

Re: do i need to inform employer?

Postby TeeferTiger » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:53 pm

You are protected under The Equality Act 2010, but I'd definitely tell your employer about it for the reasons you've stated!
TeeferTiger
UKFM Member

Postby maria31 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:57 pm

thankyou. where can i get access to thie equality act you mentioned. I'd like to have the information to hand before the conversation.
maria31
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:07 pm

Stick the title into google and it will pop it up for you and I agree you must tell your employer I worked in a lab as a chemist and couldnt carry on was made redundant in the end :( :( :( :(
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:24 pm

Telling your employer will help make things safer and better for you. Under the Equalities Act 2010, once an employer is informed that a member of staff has a condition that can impact on their job, they are obliged to make "reasonable adjustments" to make the job as suitable for someone with the condition to carry it out as it can be.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby maria31 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:06 pm

The only problem I see with the employer needing to make adjustments, is that I am the only technician in the school, therefore if I don't do all that is needed, then I am of no use to them what so ever. I have just had a quick look into benefits, but i'm not entitled to much at all, so really can't afford to lose the job. I feel stuck and hopeless at the minute :(
maria31
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:03 pm

I know it's like being between a rock and a hard place, but if you don't tell your employer about things, they can't help with trying to make your job as suitable as possible. By telling them about things, and going thru what your job involves together could help come up with some alternative ways for you to keep doing your job without making your pain etc worse.

We've offered you some advice that you had asked for regarding the situation in the hope that it will help you decide what is the best thing to do. The Act is in place to help to help and protect people with illnesses/conditions/disabilities in work, but the final decision lies with the individual as to whether they inform their employer.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby maria31 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:34 pm

thankyou. i know that i really need to inform them for everyones safety. fingers crossed i get a happy outcome :-D
maria31
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:30 pm

:fingerscrossed: and :goodluck1:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby maria31 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:52 pm

thankyou. i shall report back next week when i've got an outcome & let people know how good/bad employers treat this situation
maria31
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:13 pm

:goodluck2: :goodluck2: Maria :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: for a good outcome from a good employer :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby countyfan » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:00 pm

Maria,

Was very interested to read your post, as I am in a similar situation as I work as a Biomedical Scientist in a small private laboratory.
I have shared my problems with others on here, as my boss is a complete D***head. He is an overbearing giant of a man and has had me in tears on many occassions. However I did the right thing and informed my employers of my disability, as like you say a mistake in this type of work situation can have devastating consequences. Far from trying to make reasonable adjustments, the boss put me down even more by telling me I wasn't up to the job and was only doing the work of a Medical Laboratory Assistant! I stood my ground though, as it would have meant a pay cut and I knew that he couldn't downgrade me just like that.
The latest problem is that, as I also suffer from osteoarthris and have a herniated cervical disc, I need to have a spinal discectomy and fusion, which would entail me having a prolonged period of sick leave. The boss has virtually suggested that everyone else grins and bears it with their pain and if I go for the operation I probably would not have a job to come back to and I was in effect putting all my colleagues jobs at risk! I am allowd up to 12 weeks sick leave and resent the fact that he suggests that I am playing on my disability (Despite the fact that the herniated disc and associated bone spurs have been confirmed by an MRI scan) The spinal consultant has been trying to persuade me I needed this op, for the past 18 months but it is only now that I have tried all the other avenues of treatment that I have agreed to have this Anterior cervical discectomy and fusion.
Just hope that your employers have been more understanding. I too am trying to get a less physically active job and actually got an interview for a Science Technician job at a local school but when I actually saw what the job entailed, I realised that it was a more physically active job than my current one!

Sorry for such a rant but it is so good to know that there are people on here who understand. Does anyone know what legal rights I have about my job having to be kept open for me?

Jane :( :(
countyfan
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits