DLA Claim

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

DLA Claim

Postby Mrswalker74 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:23 am

Hi folks, just a quick question. Has anyone managed to claim DLA with only a fibromyalgia diagnosis alone?
Mrswalker74
UKFM Member

Re: DLA Claim

Postby diane1 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:53 am

Hi

I think most people with fibro also have associated conditions sometimes that you dont realise you have. I did get DLA with fibro only initially but as time went on I got other related problems. I now have CFS, Hypermobility,arthritis,IBS and facial pain. My GP didnt tell me about some of the things I had as he thought if I knew it would make me feel worse, it was only as time went on and I went to see him about these things that I found out.

So check with your GP that you only have fibro as you may have other things you think are just fibro.
Does an elephant with fibro fog ever forget ?
diane1
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:01 pm

DLA isnt awarded for a particular condition but on how that condition affects you on a daily basis so if you think FM has a detrimental affect on your daily living to the point you need help then apply you have nothing to lose and everything to gain :fingerscrossed:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

DLA Claim

Postby Mrswalker74 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:32 pm

Thanks for the replies :) I have often wondered if there is more to my condition than what I'm being told, so I will ask my doctor.
I get where ur coming from when u say it's not what you have, it's how it affects me. Think I just worded my post wrongly, the old brain ain't what it used to be! Lol!
Thanks again for ur advice xx
Mrswalker74
UKFM Member

Postby Bebbe » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:35 pm

Hi everyone, I am also thinking of claiming DLA as my fatigue is getting worse, I use to walk a mile to work and back every day (I no longer work) but now I only manage a walk to my Dads house he only lives across the road from me, If I need to go further I have to rely on my Dad to drive me. I hate fibro I use to be full of energy loved exercise now I'm a couch potato :(
Bebbe
UKFM Member

Postby lolabolla » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:37 am

I claimed for DLA whilst I was still in full time employment last year. I hoped that if I was awarded anything I could then reduce my hours and still remain employable. Sadly a 8 months down the line I lost my job through ill health (but thats another story)

Initially I was turned down but after a tearfull conversation with a very nice lady at DWP a home medical assessment was arranged.

The doctor that conducted the assessment was nice and very gentle then a couple of weeks later I was awarded HRM and LRC

Even though I did not have a confirmed diagnosis at the time the doctor who did the assessment must have had an incling and did the trigger point test. The assessment was to confirm how my life was affected, not based on a diagnosis.

So I say YES, apply, what have you got to lose.

Lola xx
lolabolla
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:15 am

I would say apply for all and any benefits you think you may be entitled to. Be very honest on the form , use additional paper if needed rather than omit things because you wanted to stay in the box, lol .

If you say you are fatigued for example don't leave it at that and don't assume that the assessor will have any idea how that effects you daily living.

For instance at the moment I am very fatigued and amongst other things this means that I do not trust myself to be in the house on my own when bathing /showering as I may need help from OH to get out of the bath or to dry me( when total exhaustion sets in)

I also can't have a shower and wash my hair at the same time as a shower will take it out of me and so wouldn't have the energy to dry my hair after the shower(usually need to rest after). my Daughter then helps do my hair for me on the odd occasion I have to wash both on the same day .
I have also found a hairdresser close by that will wash & blow dry hair for £5 before 10am so when I was working I used to pop in there a couple of times a week to keep me presentable for work...still do if going somewhere important.

Just a few example of my life that if I was applying for DLA I would include to let assessor see how fatigue would effect my day to day living

Good luck , let us know how you get on.
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby Bebbe » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:29 pm

Thanks for the help :-D
Bebbe
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits