Esa urgent help needed.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Esa urgent help needed.

Postby puppy1 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:44 pm

Hi to all.

I was changed over to Esa work related in Jan this year. Went to an interview a job centre plus just now, was then told the benefit only
lasts for a year then it stops altogether if you have a working partner. In March, I was diagnosed with Barretts osophagus as well but did not inform the DSS of this. The advisor at the job centre says that I am obviously to ill to work and should appeal to be put in the other Esa group. Has anyone been in this position that can advise what to put on the appeals form. Also is the other group means tested?
Can't get through to my local CAB at the moment but need to get the ball rolling urgently.

Hope you can help me :(

Sam x
puppy1
UKFM Member

Re: Esa urgent help needed.

Postby babajane32 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:08 pm

HI, think retrospectively you can only ask for reconsideration or back dated descision from 1 month from your notification of changes. the onus is on you to inform them in a change of medical condition , but going forwards and for at least 1 month backwards you can ask for reconsideration. Also whilst part of esa is means tested the bit that isn't is to do with your ni contrabutions over the past 2 or 3 years, but not sure of exact info and exactly how it owrks.there is a benefit helpine that should be able to clarify the rules and what you can do, yes it'll be an 0845 number suprise surprise!, but they can be very helpfull.
babajane32
UKFM Member

Postby TeeferTiger » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:18 pm

Contributions based ESA- Paid for 365 days and I was told you can reclaim after 12 weeks provided you have enough NI contributions.

I wrote to the DWP in March asking to go into the SG instead of WRAG and I'm still waiting for them to deal with it. They've not sent me anything to confirm, I'm having to constantly chase them up. Got another letter ready to send to them to complain.
TeeferTiger
UKFM Member

Postby Loullabelle » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:21 pm

Hi ya,
I have been on ESA since I stopped working which was over 2years ago now!!! I thought they would change me over but they haven't!!! So abit unsure myself!!! I think if u do change you or your partner if he or u is not working can change to jsa which obviously if u cannot work u don't want to do so I would either stay in it for as long as u can of see what other benefits are open to u!!!
Hope that's a little helpful to u xxxxxxx
Loullabelle
UKFM Newbie

Postby puppy1 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:34 pm

Hi

Without being too nosey, :oops: , what have you stated in your appeal which hopefully , :goodluck1: will put you in
the support group. My adviser said they wont go over your existing illness? So how do I reiterate the point?

Sam xxxxx
puppy1
UKFM Member

Postby Loullabelle » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:21 pm

I have been put in the support group but I don't know what that means or is!!! I just told them literally everything I cannot do which is not much!!! I am not bed bound but I housebound so I do not do much at all which I do hate may I add!!
My hubby is my full time Carer now!!! Xxxxx
Loullabelle
UKFM Newbie

Postby puppy1 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:28 pm

Yes snap!! I think the support group means they pay you all the time and not just for 365 days? Maybe someone can clarify that for us.
I want to know ,if your put in to the support group, is it non means tested. Where you?

Sam xxxx
puppy1
UKFM Member

Postby diane1 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:35 pm

Hi folks

ESA is two elements ESA INCOME BASED (means tested and is paid continually whether in the wrag or support group) AND
ESA Contribution based ( you will have paid into this through any work youve done but if you havent paid enough in you will hve to apply for the income based ALSO it is only paid for 52 weeks if in the wrag, continual if in support group)

Both elements have both the work related group (wrag) and the support group.

I was lucky in that i qualified for the contribution based ESA as my husband works so wouldnt be entitled to the income based esa being means tested.

I then got into the support group which means that my ESA wont stop after 52 weeks.

Its very confusing now just wait until the universal benefit COMES IN.
Does an elephant with fibro fog ever forget ?
diane1
UKFM Member

Postby romany65 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:53 am

Hi I would Strongly advise joining "benefits and work" (google it) They have excellent guides on claiming ESA and DLA also many other benefits, I was transfered to IB to ESA without a medical, using their guides to fill in the form. ESA has 2 componants income based which is means tested, and contribution based which is paid for 52 weeks only…the exception is if you are put in the support group you will continue to get benefit paid. Unfortunately those of us who have partner working, will only qualify for contribution based, and most will only get put in the WRAG of ESA no matter how ill you are! You can appeal and currently 40% of appeals are upheld so worth going down that route if you can cope with the stress of it all!
Wishing you good luck x
romany65
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:38 pm

I really am fed up with work HR. to cut a long story short I have been off work since May and was told that I was on a pension allowance from work as I had used all my work S/L and SSP. Was then advised that as I was in receipt of this not eligible for ESA.

Going through some other posts on this site I now find you can "earn" - £95 per week and still claim contributions ESA. My pension allowance is nothing near that and so by my reckoning I should have been able to get ESA since May!! which means I have lost out on a lot of benefits since then .

As I am still signed off until end Nov. by my GP should I just make an aplication just in case?
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby babajane32 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:40 pm

absolutely...who told you you weren't eligable? unless it was the esa application team i'd always make the claim...the worst they can say os you get nothing! also the people that do the online claim know pretty much naff all about the esa sytem anyway..most of what they told me was bunkum when it came down to it......but be warned they dont pay for the first three days of a claim and the 13 week marker means didly squat....your money may alter at the 13 week point, but it may take many many more weeks for them to let you know what that chane is let alone backdate the payment :/....but absolutely make a claim...you may get nothing like you are now, but you may get something ...good luck ...nothing to lose
babajane32
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:42 pm

Thanks Babajane32 I am going to ring ESA in the morning and at least lodge my claim.

Had a meeting with HR on Friday (now thats a different story) and when ever the main focus of the meeting was over the girl from HR asked if I was receiving ESA as they hadn't had a request to send on my GP "not fit for work notice".

I explained what I had verbally been told by ESA claims and showed her the letter I had received from another part of work HR and she just sat there and said "on no you should have been claiming since you came off! Aghhh.

If the people on the ESA claims enquiry line can't get things right what hope is there for the rest of it!

Thanks for taking the time to reply :-D
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby babajane32 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:48 am

Good luck, x
babajane32
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:11 am

Hi Babyjane 32 , just to give you an update rang the ESA benefit help line and was able to make my claim over the phone! If sucessful it will be back dated to July of this year. ( means I only loose out on 4 weeks payment not the 16 I thought I would )

The girl from the ESA office was really lovely and helped put me at my ease even when the Fibro fog crept in and I couldn't remember simple things like my job title and name of local post office! She even chatted away and tried to calm me down when I got all stressed about not finding my bank acount number. ( it was on the page in front of me just couldn't find it )

Thank you again for your support and encouragement to claim. :flowers:

Once again peeps on this forum have come to the rescue. I really would be lost with out everyones help and support. So glad I happened on this web site and actually took the courage to not only look in the Forum section but sign up .

:grouphug:

ISM
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby babajane32 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:38 am

That's great news, let us know how you get on!
babajane32
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits