[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Looking for help/advice please

Looking for help/advice please

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Looking for help/advice please

Postby missmaxi » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:35 am

Good morning everyone, hope you are all as well as can be, I am just confused about my "brown envelope" that dropped through my letter box yesterday!! It says that I have moved from incapcity benefit to esa....I did send an assesment form back about 8 weeks ago, but the thing is that I have been put into WRAG....I have absolutely no ides what all this means....I only know about these groups ans stuff from reading it on here, I am a fibro sufferer as well as loads of other debilitaing illness's.It will be more that likely that i can't even get there as I am so darn crippled at the minute and as you all know we never know what we are like from one day to the next. Do I just wait until they ask for me go or do I ring them and tell them that most of the time I am unable to get out at all??
Not got a clue on all this stuff.
Hope you all having a pain-free and relaxing Sunday.. :-D x
Also I am sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place but my mind simply will not give me a clue as to where this post belongs...xx
missmaxi
UKFM Newbie

Re: Looking for help/advice please

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:59 pm

I've split you off from where you originally made your post and moved you into here as it's a more suitable part of the forum for what you're asking about. I'll try and help with an answer, however, I haven't even got weetabix for brains at the moment so it could lead to anything :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

It sounds like you have gone thru the migration process from Incapacity Benefit to ESA. This has happened because ESA replaced IB and as you must have been due for a review, which was why you were sent the assessment form a while ago.

As you haven't said anything about having to go for a medical, it sounds like DWP have made their decision based on the info in your form. What they have decided is that you have a limited capacity for work, which has led to you being placed in WRAG ~ Work Related Activity Group. The limited capacity for work means that DWP think that you could be capable of some for of work at some point in the future with the right sort of help and support.

As part of WRAG, Work Focused Interviews have to be attended with an advisor to see how you are and how you are going on, as well as to see what sort of work you might be able to do at this imaginary point in the future. Your local jobcentre will probably contact you to arrange an initial appt.

I have a good idea of what sort of reaction you're probably going to have about this as I know just what I did this time last year when I was given the same decision as what you have got.

You can appeal the decision that has been made, but as with all things relating to DWP it can take a while to get sorted. You need to contact them (details should be on the letter that tells you about your fate) asap and tell them that you want to appeal the decision that you have been given. You then need to get it to them in writing within about 30 days of the date on your letter. It needs to include as much evidence as possible to support your reasons as to why you should be moved from WRAG in to the Support Group. The Support Group is where those who are too ill to work are placed. If there is anything that you can't get hold of to send your appeal in within the 30 daysish, then send the appeal in so it gets there within the time limit, then send any extra info in as soon as you get it.

When it is received by DWP, it will be passed on to a different decision maker for Reconsideration. Hopefully at this point it will be changed in your favour. If not, then it will passed on for appeal. They should provide you with some more info about the various stages that can be involved when you contact them.

I know all this probably sounds really :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: which it is :facepalm: :facepalm: There is help and advice available to give you the best chance with things. Places like Citizens Advice, Welfare Rights and other local organisations often help, so have a look to see who there is in your area.

There's probably more I should add, but hopefully there is something of sense somewhere in my waffley answer. There's also lost of info in this part of the forum as there are quite a few going thru the various stages of the process at the moment :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby romany65 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:08 pm

Hi, Sorry you are struggling at the moment. I am also in the WRAG group of ESA I am guessing that as you have recieved a letter you have been switched over to ESA from IB without having to attend an assessment (like I did)..Wrag unfortunateky means that if "contribution based" then it will only be payable for a year ( although you can try to claim INCOME based if you do not have a partner to support you) after the year… I think it sucks that lots of people myself included, have been put in WRAG rather than the Support group (support means just that! they will continue to support your payments for as long as needed) … I have a number of medical issues including Fibro, Hypermobility Syndrome, Crohns, Hypothyroid & others…I myself am at a loss as to what I will do when my ESA runs out in a month or two? I am married and my Husband is expected to support me …we have a mortgage and struggle now! Many people like myself will be cut off without a penny!…And I know of people who are even worse medically than me in the same boat!!..Also in the WRAG you will be expected to attend an interview at the Job center ( it says monthly on the letter) But I only had to go once! I can reccomend a site called Benefits & Work they help with people claiming benefits and have guides on website to help with form filling etc..I can only wish you well and hope that i have been able to help xx
romany65
UKFM Member

Postby diane1 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:58 pm

Hi Missmaxi

We've all been there so know what your going through. I was placed in the Wrag with limited work capabilities myself after an atos medical however I had just had another atos medical but on behalf of my emplyors who were DWP. That atos medical said I was to iill to work and recomended ill health retirement. How can 2 atos reports be so different, not so strange really :!:

I initially asked for a reconsideration as you can still appeal if the recon doesnt change the decision. The other reason for doing this is it is quicker. Having worked in DWP and knowing the system I knew that this is how it works;

If you ask for an appeal your case is reconsidered first but not straight away. Your case it sat in a draw with thousands of others waiting for the appeal officer to look at it. As you can imagine if they take a case look at it for recon and cant overturn the decision they have to continue with the case and prepare it for tribunal . This is a long process as it involves lots of paper work, legislation being correctly attached to the case and all the right documents collected. So this means that if the appeal officer has 3 cases in a day that all turn out to be full appeals that is how many cases are done but if they are all able to be reconsidered in the customers favour it is alot quicker and 4-6 cases might be done.

If you ask for a reconsideration first the case goes back to the Decision Makers for another decision. These decisions are alot quicker so the amount to get through can be quicker. If the recon doesnt go your way you still have a right of appeal from the 2nd decision.

Its entirely up to you how you want to go.

Fluppy puffy is right there is lots of advice on here and get lots of evidence together to end in with your recon so ask the lady when you call on monday for a statement of reasons. This should give you a copy of how they aloted the points to you for each question on the ESA assesment form.

I asked for a recon after getting the statement of reasons and backing up their errors with medical evidence. I won the recon and was put in the support group. So good luck :goodluck2:
Does an elephant with fibro fog ever forget ?
diane1
UKFM Member

Postby JASPER 2005 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:20 am

I was recently moved from IB to ESA my problem i need advice with is firstly im the same as most people on this whole ESA issue i dont understand all stuff they tell me regarding why im on ESA wrag and not the support group .

2 years ago i was on HRM and MRC in DLA awarded after i'd saw one of there doctors who awarded my this INDEFINITELY plus i was on IB . DLA sent me a renewal form out as id been then on it 3 years i made a mistake with distances i said i could walk so they sent another doctor out to see me i had had my right eye removed in 2009 and suffer from scleritis in my left eye , i was also being treated for arthritis as this is related to my eye condition , the 2nd doctor turned me down completely for DLA even though i had letters from my consultant and social worker stating bout me losing my balance and falling on several occassions and that falling light heads and severe headaches were all symptoms of my scleritis .

I asked for reconsideration after speaking with my social worker who is also manager of Sensory Support Team who was in shock that i was turned down , during my wait for an appeal i was diagnosed with fybromyalgia , i then appealed and after a lengthy appeal i was awarded LRC i was glad just to have gotten some sort of victory .

Then along comes my assessment form for ESA i filled it in to the best of my knowledge as like everyone on here there are days i have trouble remembering stuff and there are days im in so much pain i can do nothing i got letter of my doctor and just before i left form in i recieved a letter from Social Services Sensory Support Team saying they had now registered me blind i put letter in with my form and they still put me in wrag section even though someone in another government office has registered me blind seems unreal.

Do you think i should appeal , sorry this so long but had to try an explain the facts , also my local council have rehoused me as my last flat was on 3rd floor and building didnt have a lift so they put me in new apartment specially adopted for people with needs my OT also got onto them due to the amount of falls ive had theyre taking brand new bath out to fit shower seems a lot of expense for someone whos capable for some kind of work in their eyes . Ive also been sent to Pain Management Course and diagnosed with PTSD . Would like to know if other users think i should appeal
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split into smaller paragraphs for easier reading.
JASPER 2005
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:44 am

I know you've said you were recently migrated from IB to ESA, just how recently did this happen??? Usually for an appeal to be made, it has to be done so within a month/30 daysish (very foggy and heavy had so can't remember exactly :oops: :oops: ) of you being advised of your fate.

Maybe seeking some advice from somewhere like CAB, or maybe social services, could give you an idea of what you could/should do based on your situation could be something to consider. As well as advising, CAB and/or similar local organisations may also be able to help you thru the necessary processes/systems.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby JASPER 2005 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:26 pm

Thanks for your advice i think it was bout a month ago not sure my daughter or nephew sort all my mail out . I will speak with my social worker regarding what he thinks i should do . Its just so frustrating especially when my memory is playing up .
JASPER 2005
UKFM Member

Postby zappa20 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:31 am

Normally you have a month to make an appeal. But if you can state good reasons why it has taken longer ( and DWP accept them) then you can appeal for support Group up to 12 months later. 13 months for supercession which would be if your condition hass deteriorated I think. Again a DM has to accept your reasons for alte appeal. Could maybe explain you needed help from Support Worker to do it? But best to send in letter saying you want to appeal as quickly as you can.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits