ESA eligibility

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

ESA eligibility

Postby AngieR » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:33 pm

Hello. Rather than searching everywhere i thought i would be lazy and ask this forum a question! Is eligibility for ESA etc dependent on your spouse's income?

Have had to give up work for the time being anyway and just beginning to look at this option - with trepidation! :roll:
AngieR
UKFM Member

Re: ESA eligibility

Postby babajane32 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:47 pm

Hi, eligabilty is in two forms...whether youre sick enough to be entitled to it .......they asses for 13 weeks(at an intorductory rate if ligable) then decide if a, you're sick enough for it...and b if you are sick enough should you be in the lets get you back to work group or the you're too ill to work at all group..and this is a rough summing up.At the point of 14 weeks if you are designated a group your money increases.
In terms of if youre entitled to any money, there are two catagory's ....the you dont have enough income group...which even if your partner works you may be entitled to some, but not if they earn a heap of money.... and the..you've paid enough ni contributions of the right sort at some point in the last three years so you can have some money..

how much and how long you may get money for depends on first if you are entitled for the first 13 weeks, and then which group if any you get into after that.....be warne dthere are maasive delays in the 13 week assessment zone...Ime still waiting after 20 weeks..but i get a tiny bit to be going on with any any decision is backdatable so i understand.
Also Be warned if you were a carer (carers allowance paid) the ni contributions that pays are not counted towards esa..you have tohave paid enough class 2 contributions for the earnings related component.
Its a difficult to understand system that even those implimenting seam not to understand,but the above is a rough idea of how it works.
There are also rules about how long earnings related money can be paid for,(i think max 1 year) and if you're in work related group again i think its limited to 1 year.....but not exact on these things.

hope this helps a bit...always worth looking up on dwp.gov and searching for esa...they give alot more info
babajane32
UKFM Member

Postby diane1 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:16 pm

Babajane

That is spot on .

The ESA if you are eligable for it is paid indefinately if you get the Income Based ,and is paid for 52 weeks if in the conribution based and in the Work Related Group, or if you get into the support group for as long as you are in the support group.

Hope this helps.
Does an elephant with fibro fog ever forget ?
diane1
UKFM Member

Postby AngieR » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:49 pm

:-P Thank you
AngieR
UKFM Member

Postby fibro-lu » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:19 am

Hi
I am on c based ESA, WRAG
what happens when the year is over?
I understand that if one is married etc ESA stops (or might stop)
I am single, what will happen to me or people like me?

anyone any insight
All the best
Lu
:dunno:
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby lolabolla » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:47 am

Hi Lou

Like yourself I am single and claiming ESA contribution based but at the support group level for now and get roughlt £105.00 per week.

Because at the moment I am claiming on an income protection policy this is 'topping' my money up to a managable level.

Come December I will have my last payment :( but I have checked and I will be able to claim some income based benefits which will be more than welcome.

So to be honest I am sure from what I have read that if your contribution based comes to an end after 1 year you can still claim income based ESA as long as you don't have more than 16K in savings and you are single like me so you should be ok :-D

Hope that makes sense

Lola xx
lolabolla
UKFM Member

Postby fibro-lu » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:21 pm

thank you Lola,

does that mean that having no income, this is going into calculation and as a result it wil be "income based ESA"?? :crazy: and because being single will then calculated against having non existing partner's income ??? something like this, similar to housing benefit?

:-D
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby lolabolla » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:31 pm

Yes Lu :-D

you could try using the benefit checker on turn2us, I have found it realy easy to use and it gives you an idea what you are entitled to.

Lola xx
lolabolla
UKFM Member

Postby fibro-lu » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:28 pm

Hi Lola,

did send in latest sick note to Jobcenter plus beginning of week
got text (!) to let me know that for the time being I don't have to send in any more sicknotes ????

is this because I am now in the WRAG?
would prefere to receive such information in proper writing and not as text via phone

all the best
Lu
Sorry AngieR for high jacking
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits