Is there any point applying?

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Is there any point applying?

Postby Morgana » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:14 pm

I spoke to a benefits advisor who said I should apply for DLA... I am not sure if I should as I would feel a bit of a fraud. To look at me you wouldn't think anything was wrong... I push myself to do everything I need to do, in fact I push myself too hard but there you go. It is when I give in and drop the facade (alone in the office or at home) that I show how I am suffering. I think I would fail an assessment because I am too capable... Any suggestions?

Thanks

Mo x
Morgana
UKFM Member

Location: A filing cabinet in Hell... or at least that's what it feels like!

Re: Is there any point applying?

Postby denys » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:23 pm

If you dont think you fit the descriptors needed for DLA then you are unlikely to manage to show an assessor that you do. BUT that said, have you actually looked through what is needed to claim DLA and then looked at yourself to see if you do :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Talk to your doctor cos having them on board is a must, dont be put off by the length of the booklet you have to fill in and give it a go. The only sure thing is if you dont apply then you wont get it :-D :-D :-D

Sometimes we convince ourselves that we are better than we are :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Re: Is there any point applying?

Postby zappa20 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:31 am

Depends on your mobility restrictions and care needs. Do you have restricted mobility. do you need help with personal care, cooking etc. Many people are finding on renewing their DLA claims that their level of care or mobility award is either reduced or completley removed. Unless your GP will back up your claim there is little chance of being awarded it.

I soemtimes think too many wwelfare advsiors advise people to claim things without enough thought or background.

But if after reading all the paperwork you think you meet the criteria , you should apply straight away, as if you're borderline just now but get it, you might lose it when PIP is introduced. So would get a form off as soon as possible.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits