Home visit from benefits office

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Home visit from benefits office

Postby padders » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:25 pm

Hi all not sure this is right area but would be grateful for any replies.

I claimed ESP and was awarded £71 a week from 6th Aug went for my assessment 27th Sept and was put in the back to work group and was awarded just under £100 a week. Today I have received another letter saying they are doing a home visit on Thursday (2 days notice) to check that I am on the correct amount!! Has anybody else had this? I feel as if I am being watched and they think I am lying about my disability and they are trying to catch me out!! I really don't want to go through this any more and totally fed up with it.

Anyway if anybody has had this home visit it would be good to hear as at the moment I just feel they are trying to catch me out and don't believe me!! Thought it was all over for a while but now just feel so stressed again

Lisa x :(
padders
UKFM Member

Re: Home visit from benefits office

Postby sank9 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:01 pm

Hate to say this but the only time this has happened to me is when someone had reported me for fraud. They tell you its just checking up to see that you're getting the right amount but that's just one of their lies!
sank9
UKFM Newbie

Postby babajane32 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:04 pm

Can i ask if you were a transfer from ib or whether it was a fresh claim? it seams you were dealt with extreamly speedily if you weren't a transfer...maybe that's why they are doing a check up? or is it possibl you or the work related group have requested a reconsideration? (with a veiw to moving you to the other group?) i think they're in such confusing at the mo, they may not even be doing it right lol
babajane32
UKFM Member

Postby Carole » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:23 pm

Yes that happened to us too ....with the pretence of supposedly checking you are getting what you are entitled to, not to make sure you are getting enough but to cut what you are getting !! The woman that came had a really nasty attitude towards us took our bank books away (so have them to hand then you don`t have to go hunting for them)
Everything we said was written down and we had to read and sign it .... we didn`t hear anything for months which was a very stressful time but in the end as we knew it would be... nothing was done at all in the end . But the stress was thinking who could have reported us when we had done nothing wrong. I googled welfare rights solicitors in our area when we got the letter and spoke to a lovely girl who told us she thought it better she didn`t come for the first visit as it would look suspect but said 1) if we were told at the beginning it was under caution to call a halt straight away until we had a solicitor with us 2) if we didn`t like the line of questioning we could call a halt and reconvene when we could be represented too ...so don`t be bullied
Sorry to have to tell you but forwarned is forarmed as they say. I hope the officer who comes isn`t as nasty as the one who came to us
Carole
Carole
UKFM Member

Postby padders » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:39 pm

Thank you all
Just spoke to the woman coming and she said to me it is not because they think I am cheating them but to make sure I am on the right benefit and amount!! she is not checking on my health or anything just the money side of it.
would she have had to tell me if it was a fraud investigation? Not that I have anything to worry about there. God I am so stressed over it already I feel so ill and the pain is unbelievable at the moment due to all this stress!!
Hmm may ring her back and ask her straight if she is looking into fraud at least I know then for sure

Thanks once again for support

Lisa
padders
UKFM Member

Postby vampireangela » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:55 pm

this is the whole thing with fibro being a physical illness but not physically seen, being on benefits with fibro is a stress in its self. i am on dla and at the mo im having more and more bad days but i have a 7 year old daughter and my partner is my carer and i try as often as possible to go with him to take my daughter to school, yet because im on benefits wen i go out i feel im doing something wrong.
vampireangela
UKFM Member

Postby Atom » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:43 pm

A few ideas that may help:

1. Make the visitor wait on the doorstep while you check their identity card with the DWP. If they don't have one, don't let them in.

2. Make sure that you have a witness present during the whole visit. A friend or relative would be ideal.

3. If possible tape the conversation, covertly or overtly. The visitor may not like being taped but you are after all in your own home.

4. Take details with regard to the visitors name, date/time of visit, content of visit etcetera.

Hope this helps and remember that you are in your own home and don't have to take any s**t. If the visitor makes you feel uncomfortable in any way, like through their line of questioning, politely ask them to leave. If they won't leave, call the police.
Atom
UKFM Member

Postby lolabolla » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:51 pm

I don't think you should be worrying unduly to be honest.

I had to get the mental health team involved with my mothers health problems.

They advised me to apply for higher rate of DLA for her and when she was awarded the higher rate she was later assessed by a lovely lady from DWP who checked her benefit entitlement and completed relevent forms etc.

Mum was subsequently awarded pension credits which she should have been claiming since my dear father died in 2004.

It's not all doom and gloom you know :-D

Lola xx
lolabolla
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:34 pm

I also cant help but fear there up to something!

Very unusual for DWP to see if your on the right moneys?? they would ask you for another medical or forms to fill out :-?

Is it a compliance officer??? i hope all goes well and everything is ok :fingerscrossed:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby zappa20 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:14 am

Try not to worry about it. While it's true they do sometimes check reprted fraud etc, there is also the fact that a DWP department does do random checks on a small amount of claimants to verify people are claiming the beenfits thheyr'e entitlaed to and there's the correct uptake of benefits. Many benfits remain unclaimed as people aren't aware they're eleigible.Would be a routine visit, no more no less.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Postby padders » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:53 am

Thank you to all of you who have replied, I have rang the department and they have assured me it is nothing to do with fraud and they are just checking i am getting the right amount of benefits and if i was treated right!!
Lisa
padders
UKFM Member

Postby Carole » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:21 pm

So glad you have had your mind put at rest but its no wonder we are suspicious as even before the goverment were trying to cut the benefits bill they didn`t go out of their way to give out more money, it could be working in reverse though they are sending compliance officers out to see were cuts can be made as home visits are expensive and timely ..They would get through many more if claiments were asked to visit the offices. You really have to be one step ahead and I don`t agree you never have to worry because just reading this forum thats what most of us spend a lot of time doing when it comes to benefit claims...thats why there are organisations soley to help the unemployed sick and disabled. JMHO
Carole
Carole
UKFM Member

Postby loubie » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:35 am

hope all goes well today
will be thinking of you :goodluck2:
loubie xx

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are
no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of
UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

Postby diane1 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:04 am

Hi

Coming from DWP as an ex employee I think that a check on your benefits in your home is a bit strange. Visitng officers dont exist any longer they went some time ago due to cuts and the expense of them. The visits that are made are for medicals ony by Drs etc who have no knowledge of the benefit system, or by compliance officers if there is any doubt about your eligibility or someone has called them about you. Do you get HR Care AND mobiity of the DLA as if you dont you would be expected to visit the Jobcentre for an appointment.

I wouldnt worry to much as once they see you they will know you are genuine. The other thing I would do is ask someone to be there with you and explain that you need someone there due to the fibro fog and the problems this causes. Did you get a letter about the appointment as if you didnt it would be unusual as we always had to send a letter out first as othersise anyone could be calling. Anyone from fraud/compliance would have to send a letter first so a visit from them is unlikely.

It could also be that your area has set up a local project as an outreach which does happen in some areas ,the area I worked in did it a few years ago and it was to help people gain the right benefits etc. The single mums and disabled being the prime targets. This seems the most likely thing.

So dont worry and be your usual self. Any doubts ask them to leave.

Goood Luck.
Does an elephant with fibro fog ever forget ?
diane1
UKFM Member

Postby cornish64 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:41 pm

Just wondering which office is sending out the home visit person, as I had this about two years ago, thought it was from DWP and it worked out to be someone from the benefits section of my local council, lady came out to check we were on the right benefits and that amounts were correct. She asked how much dla I was on , said I hadnt applied due to not thinking I could as i wasnt in a wheelchair, she said you dont have to be in a wheelchair to be on dla, so she came back the following week and went through a claims form for dla and after about 6 months I ended up on high rate mobility and low rate care, so if its the same sort of benefits person as I go then it may help you :-) good luck
cornish64
UKFM Newbie

Next

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits