ESA, points and groups I'm confused

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

ESA, points and groups I'm confused

Postby jue-bug » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:02 pm

Ok so I had my medical I was given 18 points physical and 6 mental capacity .
I am still confused over points I have trawled this and DWP sites and was under the impression that 15 points puts you in the support group
So I still cannot understand why I was put in the WRAG group the benefits office have been no help (no surprise there) Though I have started an appeal I wonder if anyone here can explain the points system in relation to ESA and the Support group or WRAG
Yours hopefully Jue
jue-bug
UKFM Member

Re: ESA, points and groups I'm confused

Postby *Lisa* » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:14 pm

You have to score 15points on the support group questions, or on 1 question, they dont give you much to go on and does get confusin.

So it could be you scored your 18 on several questions and not getting a full 15 on a particular 1 :crazy:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby jue-bug » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:53 pm

Ah I guess I'll have to see on medical report ...I was just going told 18 on physical that's why confused...
Duh :shock: :roll: I do wish they would simplify these things ...
Thanks for the reply *Lisa*
Jue
jue-bug
UKFM Member

Postby shaz d » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:09 pm

Hi what is the best group to be on I filled my form in but they never asked me to go for medical instead I got a letter yesterday saying my incapacity benefit will be getting replaced with ESA wrag group it says I can appeal but don't know what the difference is :roll:
shaz d
UKFM Newbie

Postby sammitch16 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:35 pm

hi
first you can ask for a copy of the medical report, I have both of mine.
They have 2 groups 1 is the support group the other is the WRAG. when attending the medical you have to get 15 or more points to be delaired unfit to work and therefore entitled to ESA. in order to be put in the support group you have to meet certian critria to or you go in the WRAG, your medical report will state how long your on the WRAG ie 3-6 months 6-9 months etc going right up to 2 years (what I am on). if your luck enough to still have a DWP advisor they can also tell you.
The disability Law service had the documents on there website showing the list of critrea for the support group, only a very few people go in this group.
hope this makes sence x
sammitch16
UKFM Newbie

Postby zappa20 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:08 am

The Support Group descriptors are with the exception of 1 very specific. Not all the single 15 point scoring questions meet Support Group status either. You can be awarded 50 points and still not meet the Support Group descriptors.

Once you have a copy of your assessment report you can see how your points have been awarded, and work out how to base your appeal from there. There have been a couple of cases where a Tribunal appeal for Support Group has resulted in people losing their ESA WRAG status, but this is a tiny tiny minority . But best to be aware of it.

You can find the Support Group descriptors by simply googling ESA Support Group Descriptors. I prefer the ESA assessors handbook for info as it gives some insight into how they evaluate things.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits